Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

LB
May 4, 2021

Entertaining and interesting subject. This course gives us a perfect overview of mountains' importance on our environment and their value to our lives as a human. Thank you for this incredible course.

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

476 - 500 of 830 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Roggers H

Nov 21, 2019

indeed it was an experience for me since it was my first time to pursue an online course

thanks alot.

By Dana C

Jan 24, 2018

Course was easy to follow and laid out in a way that was easily understandable and progressed nicely.

By Pedro C D L C

Jul 28, 2017

Extraordinary MOOC experience. Thanks to University of Alberta and all who made this course possible.

By jake M

Mar 26, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. The lessons covered a large range of topics and were well put together.

By harland w

Jan 30, 2021

diverse and as comprehensive as a 101 course can be. excellent educators, speakers and curriculum.

By Victor C

Jun 27, 2020

Excellent Course. Well presented by the professors. Never have I gained such wealth of information

By Anindya R C

May 1, 2020

What a course!! Thanks to the whole crew of Mountains 101 for such an amazing learning experience.

By David S

Feb 2, 2019

Everything about this course was wonderful! Great information, great instructors, very fun course!

By Bruno L

Sep 20, 2017

Amazing introduction course to get a better understanding of our beautiful mountains. I want more!

By Atymtay N

Oct 4, 2020

it is a cinematographical masterpiece. APPLAUSE!!!! And with a shocker at the end omg. I loved it

By Erin H

Jun 28, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. Thank you for all the information and effort compiling the content.

By Ezgi K I

Nov 4, 2020

It is an incredibly informative and eye-opening course which looks at every aspect of mountains.

By Susan L B T

Oct 13, 2020

What a wonderful class! Thank you for helping me learn more about the mountains I love so much!

By Frederico O K

Jul 21, 2020

It was an amazing and interesting course. An interdisciplinary overview of mountains. Thank you!

By Tim W P

May 15, 2020

Very informative, lots of great speakers, readings, resources and covered a wide range of topics

By R. S

Jun 30, 2019

Iam very happy that i learned someting new about Mountains... and the importance of it.

By Yuki S

Mar 8, 2021

I enjoyed learning about mountains because of this course. The videos and course was well-made.

By Ingrid G B J

Sep 23, 2020

This is WONDERFUL course, I really enjoyed it and learned a lot about this interesting subject.

By Maxime D

Apr 11, 2020

The course is very well made, interesting, and educational. Great content and good instructors.

By Luis s s

Jan 31, 2019

curso recomendado si te gustan las montañas y quieres conocer más sobre su dinámica y ecología-

By Momina A

Sep 22, 2018

Its great course and tells about very interactive places in world. I found it very informative.

By Jonna J

Jan 2, 2021

covered a wide array of topics; great introductory course to mountains, especially the Rockies

By Lorraine L S

Dec 10, 2020

I would do this course again because it was so interesting - a real mountain of information :)

By Aditya R

Sep 25, 2020

One of the best organized courses i have ever taken in Coursera. Eye opening and Enlightening.

By Dalia B

Jun 3, 2020

very well structured course, and it's packed with lots of information. I enjoyed it very much.