Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

BS
Feb 11, 2021

Great fun, I really enjoyed this course. Sometimes the dialogue was somewhat repetitive but overall you can see a lot of effort went into finding experts and giving quality, accompanying video clips.

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

126 - 150 of 744 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Melissa A

Aug 23, 2020

Amazing, amazing course!!! I loved how the course was designed and all the information shared on it. I also enjoyed visiting my mountain world after completing the weekly lessons. The Tech Tips are also helpful. For someone who loves the outdoors and the mountains, this is absolutely enjoyable and at the same time very knowledgeable. Highly recommended!!!

By Dinidh O

Apr 8, 2018

Extremely well produced, but more importantly the treatment of the subject matter at hand is excellent. The speakers are informative and present the material in a highly accessible manner. I truly hope that we'll see more Mountain-related courses coming from this Uni - this knowledge is helping equip me for a career defending and caring for our mountains.

By Justin H

Apr 7, 2020

Very interesting course. A lot of novel ways of presenting information. Rather than just listening to a talking head there were a lot of interesting visual materials being shown, the presenter made good use of green screen presentations. The optional maps quizzes were interesting and gave me an enhanced sense of where the specific sites are in the world.

By Angie L

Jul 16, 2019

Very structured system covering the key aspects of mountains as well as guiding me through the key mountain areas throughout the world. Useful and practical guidance on packing and outdoors activities. Would love to see some more advanced courses on practical side especially on the key knowledge and skills to keep ourselves safe and sound in the nature.

By Victoria C L

Jan 7, 2018

This class was so first-rate, words nearly fail me. Excellent pedagogical design, with practical mountain survival advice in each module, plus other special features. Pace is excellent, lots of onsite videos, wide variety of contributors, must have cost a fortune. Even an address from the PM! You must put this class into your course list right away!!

By Arnab N U

May 4, 2020

This course was an interesting one. It never felt boring or monotonous to me. Both the instructors were dynamic and their lectures were amazing. Learnt many things from them. Hope that, they will continue to deliver such amazing things to the curious learners like me in the coming days. Overall, this course was a full package and deserves good ratings.

By Yogi H C

Jan 17, 2021

Perfect course. Extremely recommended for all those of you who wants to learn about Mountains. Perfect just perfect, from the materials to the discussion forums. The lecturer is extremely active in forums by answering questions. Love it. The interactive mountain website also really helpful in memorizing number of mountains. Absolutely worth the price!

By Emmanuella P

Nov 24, 2020

This was probably the most enjoyable class I've ever taken! It had great and detailed info, the professors were knowledgeable and thorough, and the lecture backgrounds kept you interested. But even without the pretty pictures, the course info was very interesting. Not to mention the technical gear tips! Thank you all for a great learning experience!!

By Lynne L

Jun 27, 2020

This is a great course, with excellent instructors and course content. The inclusion of site visits and interviews with experts in areas of specific interest were well placed, very informative and very interesting. The photography is spectacular and where applicable, supports presented concepts very well.

Thank you!! I really enjoyed this course.

By Lyna S

Jan 27, 2021

I absolutely loved this course! I have learned so much and have a new appreciation for Parks Canada. I plan on doing a cross-country tour of Canada next year and will be visiting as many National and Provincial parks as possible. I will also be investigating ways to help/volunteer with conservation organizations in my local area. Thank you!

By parv s

Jul 10, 2019

A really fun and easy course, one could learn a lot about the geology of mountains just by doing this singular course. I think this course should be made compulsory for people who wish to do anything related to mountains or mountain sports, for it covers a good amount of theory required. Especially the tips and tricks at the end of each lesson.

By Thiago P B

Jul 31, 2017

I'm a brazillian and I come from a land where there is not much mountains to be seen, but I was always fascinated by mountains and mountain environment. After my NOLS course on the Patagonian andes, I came to respect mountains even more and this course gave me a whole new perspective from these environment that I draw so much wonder. Thank you.

By Satyartha R R

I am very happy after successfully completing this course. I have gained more knowledge about importance of mountains for sustainability of the Earth, human beings and all flora and fauna. I am giving my thanks to both course instructors Dr. Zac Robinson and Prof. David Hik. Both instructors are very knowledgeable person. Thank You very much.

By Bouhalit N e h

Oct 5, 2020

Thank u so much coursera ... I'm so happy i have succeeded in knowing the mountains and gained very valuable information ... like climate , biodiversity , glaciers hazards imagination and water towers ... the future mountains ... it's an honor to succeed in a subject like this ... thank u so much to Professors of the University of Alberta ❤

By Kay B

Jul 22, 2020

This course covered so many aspects of mountains such as geography, geology, as well as human physical responses to living in the mountains. I found the unit on glaciers particularly fascinating. The lessons from mountain experts added a lot to the course. The professors did a wonderful job of preparing and executing all course content.

By Nicolas G

May 4, 2020

Excellent. Beautifully made course. Art and science together. For me, the main message of the course is to know more about what you love. I will continue to learn more about mountains, experience them, and be very careful to use them wisely and respectfully.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and making us more literate world citizens.

By Bo P

Feb 13, 2019

What an amazing course. So much time effort and thought was put into this course. The quality of the content was amazing and as a lover of mountains I found this so interesting. Above all, the passion that went into this course made it perfect. Now when I'm in the mountains I enjoy the even more! Oh and the last video...nice touch! ;)

By Alexandrea V

Apr 13, 2017

This was a well structured and simple to understand course. I found the video style learning full a great imagery, examples, and more easily understood that a traditional lecture. The topics were diverse, thorough, and interesting. I also appreciate Matt Peter's knowledge of wilderness exploration. Great tips from a seasoned guide.

By Devdutt D

Aug 13, 2020

Excellent content and exceptional delivery. Can't ask anymore. A very holistic approach to learn and understand about our mountains and the ecosystem. The Tips on how to approach and respond in mountains was equally great! Thank you University of Alberta and all the people who put in all their efforts to make such beautiful course.

By Lianne M

Nov 4, 2019

Extremely informative and interesting content throughout each lesson. Covering many topics related to mountain environments which held my interest and attention. It was very interesting to hear from people working in different roles throughout mountains internationally, especially from the Parks Canada and local university staff.

By Kaori M

Jun 9, 2020

Very interesting with lots of examples and images. I was impressed with the diverse topics offered in this course and learnt a lot from it. Kept me on my toes and was eager to see what I could learn next. With this new knowledge I would like to be more alert on the environmental changes and do my part to protect the environment.

By Elizabeth D

Feb 13, 2021

I learned so much about mountains throughout this course. A someone who loves to spend time in the mountains hiking and camping, I feel like I have an even greater appreciation for how special our mountain and glacier spaces are. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who loves mountain spaces and wants to learn more.

By Joshua G

Dec 5, 2019

Was a bit of a bittersweet moment when I submitted the last test. This course was far beyond all my expectations. I have lived in the mountains my whole life, but this gave me a whole new outlook, and has further cemented my appreciation for the amazing places around me. Can't wait for "Mountains 201" :) Thanks guys, you rock!

By Jason P

Feb 11, 2021

Amazing course. It has a wealth of information about all aspects of mountains, including the environmental, social and economic aspects. Just a really well put together module, drawing knowledge from a diverse group of professionals. I was never bored, and in fact, each lesson was very interesting. Thank you for all involved.

By Loek L

Nov 22, 2020

Living in the flat Netherlands I really enjoyed the opportunity to take the knowledge from this course and put life and living on Earth into perspective. Mountains are such an impressive site and apparently also have so many more roles than I already told they had. I would like to thank everyone who made this course possible