Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

BS
Feb 11, 2021

Great fun, I really enjoyed this course. Sometimes the dialogue was somewhat repetitive but overall you can see a lot of effort went into finding experts and giving quality, accompanying video clips.

151 - 175 of 748 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Loek L

Nov 22, 2020

Living in the flat Netherlands I really enjoyed the opportunity to take the knowledge from this course and put life and living on Earth into perspective. Mountains are such an impressive site and apparently also have so many more roles than I already told they had. I would like to thank everyone who made this course possible

By Rose S

Aug 11, 2020

Highly recommend for those of you who want to learn more about mountains. The instructors will guide you through learning about the many different aspects of mountains you have really never thought about : from the science to how and why mountains are spiritually important. Also engaging graphics and awesome instructors.

By Sherry Y

Apr 22, 2020

Great course! This is perfect for mountain lovers regardless of if you have a background in science or not. This will make you travel across many mountain ranges of the world and understand the fundamental processes shaping mountains from biological, historical, climatic to cultural aspects and more. Definitely recommend!

By Shah M A R

Sep 25, 2020

This Course Lecture is awesome .The Instructor Spoke Very Clearly and was very knowledgeable and patient.Good Curriculum and Reading materials.Also there is a extra lecture about mountain hiking related.The most interesting thig in this course was "The Mountain Map",finding Mountain on Earth Map was very much enjoyable .

By Thomas M

Apr 1, 2018

I had a fantastic time completing this course. Each lesson represented an area I was interested in and served as a something to look forward to on a week to week basis to increase my knowledge of mountainous regions and to further stimulate my interest in exploring Canada and the rest of the worlds mountain environments.

By Joshua V

Oct 22, 2020

I only enrolled to watch the videos. The production value was fantastic, and the information was very interesting. There were many details and perspectives I couldn't have anticipated, and it was presented in a way that allows a layman to this topic to understand clearly. I couldn't recommend this course more highly.

By Tegan W

Apr 18, 2017

I absolutely loved this course. The format worked great and I would, in a heartbeat, sign up for another mountains course like this. (Mountains 201 anyone?). Especially if it focused on Canadian mountains (BC/AB in particular) in a little more detail. I soo look forward to taking more of your courses, Zac and David.

By Monil P

Feb 27, 2021

Very influencial and knowledgeful course on mountain biodiversity, ecosystem, features and landscapes. Also helps one understand the way we are impacting mountain sustainability. There are short guides on nuts and bolts of trekking like pro-tips. Overall really enjoyed the course with interactive learning features.

By El S R P

Aug 20, 2020

This course was truly amazing. It is incredible the amount of effort that the instructors put on making it, the pictures and places are breathtaking, the information is very accurate, the guests, etc. Everything was perfect and well thought out. It is worth the effort and I thank David and Zac for their commitment.

By Manuel O L

Oct 11, 2020

Excelente Curso, los maestros y expositores lo hicieron ver de fácil comprensión, el material y videos de gran calidad, aprendí bastante sobre las Montañas, muchas felicidades a la Universidad de Alberta Canadá y gracias por su labor de enseñanza. Hasta la próxima por aquí nos veremos. Manuel Ortiz Lara, México.

By Veronique L

Apr 29, 2020

Excellent course. I learned a lot about mountains, ecosystems, lore, history, geography and geology. I think the course might have been even more effective with more points listed on the screen. Some accents are difficult and you presented lots of concepts, so having more notes appearing on the screen would help.

By Francis D F

Nov 2, 2020

I really enjoyed the lectures, hiking tips, map activity and quizzes. What a well planned series of lecture videos. I am inspired to share the knowledge in environmental planning from this course. Canada has such a well informed people and very passionate scientists. Thank you very much for University of Alberta.

By George S

Oct 8, 2018

I have lived in Calgary since 1994 (aged 11). I love the mountains here. I have visited the Alps a handful of times, as well as the Andes once. It was a pleasure to learn about the geology and nature of these majestic places. What a good course. What a surprise to see our prime minister in your course. Awesome!

By Marg P

Mar 5, 2017

I was recommended this course by an old friend. I was hesitant taking an online course but was very surprised at how much I enjoyed taking time out of my day to sit and learn about the mountains, whether it be about theory, culture, biodiversity, stewardship, etc. Can't wait to see if there's a follow up course!

By Tobias D

Aug 28, 2020

This course is truly amazing. The entire team in front of an behind the scenes put so much effort into every lesson, and it really shows. I am grateful that I had the chance to learn about all the different facets of mountain landscapes and definitely recommend everyone who hasn't yet given it a shot to do so.

By Valeria M

May 21, 2018

Excellent material and information. Very well done videos and assignments. The teachers have an ability to deliver 'class' in an interesting and entertaining way. The guests and interviews were very adequate to the subject and helped expand the information given in the course. Great quality content all around.

May 15, 2017

Great variety of instructors and topics to keep one interested. The two main speakers could be careful how often the repeat certain 'linking words' - i.e.: "however" and could be a bit more dynamic, but this is only meant as constructive criticism. I'd definitely do a similar course on a different subject!

By Christos P

Truly Insightful course. You have done a spectacular job providing the uttermost understandable explanations in your pursue to be as clear as possible, but at the same time scientifically accurate.

Truly inspiring. And your incredible passion is definitely contagious.

Thank you with full genuinity.

Be well!

By Claire E

Jul 19, 2020

Well organized and interesting. I love that this course covered not only mountain geography and geology, but culture as well. I really appreciated the emphasis placed on sustainability and the impacts that climate change has had and will continue to have on mountain environments. Really enjoyable course!

By Guilherme R

Nov 9, 2020

Fabulous! A must register for mountain lovers. Such a pleasure to complete this, it even makes me sad that it is over... videos are super well done, material is great. What a fabulous work to put this together, congratulations to University of Alberta and all those who worked on this wonderful program.

By ARLUCIO C R F

May 4, 2020

I enjoyed taking this course sooooo much!!! It's interdisciplinary approach of mountains made me broaden my views on these incredible landmarks and gave me ideas of how could I teach such and incredible subject in class in clever and innovative ways. Every minute learning about mountains was worth it!!

By Sulojana B

Nov 18, 2017

This was my first MOOC and I really enjoyed the course. The material covered had a lot of diversity yet tied everything back to mountains, and it was really enlightening. I also appreciated the course notes at the end as it was a challenge to recall all the information that was shared in the videos.

By Benswing

Jun 10, 2020

As a hiker and casual outdoorsman who recently visited Banff, Jasper & Yoho this was an incredibly interesting course! I teach environmental science and will definitely use much of the material here in my class. But it's also just really interesting to know. Thanks for such a fascinating course!

By Sophie P K

Jun 28, 2018

I absolutely loved Mountains 101 and I recommend it for anyone that is pursuing a career in orology, or wants to appreciate mountains for their beauty. It gave me great insight into what can be done to save the mountains and their biota, and I also now appreciate mountains more than I did before.

By Kathy G O

Oct 16, 2017

Great overview of mountains. I took the course to learn more about mountain geology after visiting the Rockies, but I stayed for the whole course because it was so interesting. he instructors were great and obviously passionate about the topics presented. I enjoyed it a great deal. Thank you.