Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

BS
Feb 11, 2021

Great fun, I really enjoyed this course. Sometimes the dialogue was somewhat repetitive but overall you can see a lot of effort went into finding experts and giving quality, accompanying video clips.

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

176 - 200 of 744 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Matt I

Apr 29, 2018

What a great course. I never knew mountains could be so interesting. Ever week I would learn some amazing new fact or resource to learn from. The scenery in the video were well done and now I want to visit Banff Nation Park.

I'd like to thank the entire team who put this course together!

By Sasha L

Jan 12, 2018

This online Mountain 101 course is awsome! A great platform and excellent explanations on all of the topics covered. This is a perfect way to motivate people that are in love with the amazing outdoor nature and life to get going and learn on it! I highly recommand this course to everyone!

By Luisa F

Dec 26, 2020

Excelente este curso, muy bien estructurado y encantador, desde el contenido fotográfico, hasta el académico. Felicitaciones a los docentes y gracias a todas las personas que hicieron parte de él y que nos enseñaron aprendizajes valiosos para complementar nuestros estudios profesionales.

By Victoria E

May 13, 2020

This has been an outstanding course. As someone who knew little about mountain environments I have been able to develop an understanding and appreciation for the complexity of mountains, the biodiversity of mountain environments and the contribution of mountain systems to everyday life.

By Aileen F

Nov 14, 2020

I have taken a number of online courses over the last 10+ years on a wide variety of subjects. This has certainly proved to be one of them most interesting and informative ones! My first experience with an interdisciplinary course has certainly been a most positive one!

Aileen Fisher

By Jackelyn U

Aug 9, 2020

Extensive scientific concepts were explained succinctly and neatly. I remained engaged throughout and especially appreciated learning about my own backyard in Alberta. A special thanks to everyone who made it possible. We shall have a refreshed perspective next time we hit the Rockies.

By Steven M

Jan 22, 2017

Great course! Really impressive collaboration with other universities, government agencies, and cultural institutions (and MEC). Wish another week or two could be devoted to social and cultural themes, but really good to see historical content from beyond Western European perspectives.

By Pratik P B

Jul 19, 2020

Exceptional course! Prof. Zac and Prof. David's video lectures along with the very important Tech tips were a treat to learn. The history, geography, geology, impacts, biodiversity, end lesson quiz, and also interactive map were very engaging and informative. Overall a great session!

By Andreas A K

May 1, 2020

It's a great course! The best I have so far in my entire life, trust me! I'm a little sad that I finished the course already, because with that good quality of teaching materials I will never get bored with the entire course! Thank you for the professors and the other contributors!

By Steven S

Aug 31, 2017

This course has been very interesting, engaging and very easy to follow. It covers a great range of topics and subtly puts across an important message about environmental protection. I'll likely complete it again shortly because there's a lot of useful information to take on board.

By Ryan C

May 14, 2020

A very informative and thought out course. The videos are great and along with the transcript is perfect.

Love the little guide videos as well. Your attention may start to wander in some of the lengthier videos, but its a great course. worth the time and effort of completing it.

By Katie C

Oct 11, 2020

Very clearly presented covering a variety of topical environmental and cultural issues, encouraging good practise in the mountains and an informative learning tool. Highly recommended for first time learners or as a refresher for those who already have a mountain background.

By Desislava D

Truly wonderful experience in the mountain world. Interactive teaching method with a lot of examples and expert opinions the course is suitable for mountain lovers regardless of their educational background.

Take your time and enter this illustration of the world we live in.

By Amy

Nov 5, 2017

Wonderful, comprehensive look at mountain formation, climate, habitat, biodiversity, and the impacts of humans both now and in the past. I especially enjoyed the historical lessons on mountains and the human imagination in eastern and western societies. Highly recommended!

By Giovanni C R R C

Nov 4, 2020

Excelente, me gustó mucho, aprendí mucho sobre la formación de las montañas, la biodiversidad que las habitan, la influencia en el clima del planeta, y la importancia que tienen para muchas cultural alrededor del mundo, y como extra varios tips para viajar a las montañas!

By Adam B

Jan 23, 2017

Fantastic course, so interesting! Loved every lesson. Will be recommending this course to all my friends. Thanks to the U of A for putting it together. Congrats to Drs. Hik and Robinson for a job well done. Can hardly wait until Mountains 201 is offered. So appreciative.

By Emmy

Sep 1, 2020

Thank you very much. I learned so much on this course. I particularly liked how integrated the course was, the inclusion of many famous mountains (and the mountain maps) and the talks with industry experts. The lecturers are great and clearly passionate about mountains.

By Ali Y

Apr 20, 2017

Without the doubt this was one of most amazing courses which I be taken so far. It was my first Official Course and I had enjoyed a lot by watching lectures, reading some extra notes, and completing the quizzes

My Sincere Thanks to Coursera team and University of Alberta

By Szakál B

Jul 18, 2020

I was blown away by this course. It is informative, interesting, very enjoyable, and well put together. It magnified my fascination with mountains - and my knowledge about them too. Thank you for providing such good material, I am truly impressed by all this good work.

By Tyler R

Aug 19, 2019

This course was amazing. I really appreciate the effort of everyone involved in making it happen. David and Zac were fantastic instructors. It has really helped me expand my knowledge and appreciation for mountains. My favourite topics were glaciers and climate change.

By Shawn F

Very comprehensive overview of the significance of mountain environments as they relate to geology, ecology, and humanity. Engaging and refined content that presents the information in a way that continued to surprise me with insights that I never would have expected.

By Helen H

Jun 8, 2020

Thank you so much for bringing the mountains of the world into my little world. I have learned so much about the mountains in every continent of the world. David and Zac have done an amazing job in passing on their wealth of expertise and knowledge about mountains.

By Tawna H

Apr 19, 2020

The course gave informative material in many aspects of mountains. Everything about this course was really well done, to the examples, the pop quiz’s, and the interviewers that gave their perspective on the lesson at hand. I would recommend this course to everyone...

By Amit T

Jul 23, 2017

This course provides overview of why mountains are important and how they affect humans. Information about different mountain ranges, glaciers, rivers is something I enjoyed most. The tips at the end of each course is nice. This course met my expectations completely!

By Meagan F

Apr 3, 2020

This course was fantastic! We really enjoyed the thought that went into planning a course that covered so many diverse topics relating to mountains. Thank you for all your efforts. We love mountains even more now! We'll be celebrating December 11th from now on :)