Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

LB
May 4, 2021

Entertaining and interesting subject. This course gives us a perfect overview of mountains' importance on our environment and their value to our lives as a human. Thank you for this incredible course.

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

51 - 75 of 824 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Jazmin O

Highly recommend!

A comprehensive and holistic view of mountains past, present and future, covering the geological phenomena that create them, the social and human impacts, and plant and wildlife that live in mountains. It takes an interdisciplinary approach, view interviews (many of them on the field) with scientists and writers that study mountains. It is challenging to absorb a lot of information in the time provided, but self pacing makes this a very approachable course. The instructors and their guest experts are fantastic. Especially recommended course for anyone who spends time in the outdoors.

By Robert A

Aug 17, 2020

This course served admirably to enhance my understanding of the multiplicity and complex interplay of environmental and social dynamics affecting mountains around the world. The visual dimension of the course was strikingly beautiful and well-integrated. The instructors communicated clearly and conveyed in a warmly personable fashion, something of their personal enthusiasm for the topics. This would seem to be an excellent, non-quantitative beginning course for fostering an appreciation of the crucial nature of scientific inquiry in the preservation of our environmental heritage.

By Wanderer S

Jun 30, 2020

Wow! first of all I pay my respect to all the persons involved in designing this course. My native place is a small village in the lap of Himalayas (India). This course provided me the basic knowledge about mountains and how we live here. There are alot of information which I am gonna use in my day to day life. There are new things which my parents aur grandparents used to do like burning the fields and I always stopped them for doing that. Thank you team Mountains 101 for educating me. Wanna study more about mountains. Once again I thank you all for this wonderful course.

By Elías B E

Aug 18, 2017

A really interesting and entertaining course. As a ranger in a national park in Iceland it also benefited me in my work.

My only complaints are that sometimes you can feel that the audio needs to be remastered. The sound quality of the lecturers voices vary during a single lecture and there is only one song used (which is too dramatic in the first place and already over used in week 2). Also, the prime minister ending was too much. It felt like having a desert that's way too sweet and you want to vomit.

But these are negligible factors. The course was great, thanks a lot!

By Alex M V

Apr 29, 2020

You guys are amazing! Zac & David and all the staff, thanks for making this course as perfect as you did. I was in Canada Parks last year, before taking the course, and my time there was fantastic. Now I cannot wait to go back again with all the new things that I know! Every lesson is super complete (the maps section and the tips for having a nice experience in the mountains are super nice) and as a student, its super grateful to feel the love that you feel for the mountains. I will kind of miss you from now on.. You're awesome. Best course I've made in coursera !

By Alton C B

Mar 24, 2021

This is arguably among the best, most comprehensive introductory courses to mountains geography currently available in the world. The instructors and guest speakers provide clear, concise, but also detailed explanations of the physical and human dimensions of the world's mountains, including sound coverage of contemporary problems and prospective solutions. Completion of the course should well equip students with the foundations to embark upon their own, more detailed investigations of interest, whether for research, project planning, or professional purposes.

By Adriana L U

May 13, 2021

I enjoyed this course; it has a very good balance of theory, beautiful images, interdisciplinary approach; even the music during the presentations is so beautiful. It's an excellent refresher for those who have some knowledge in this field and also an intro for the interested people. The content is relevant because it is up to date; I was impressed with the many scientists who shared their knowledge for this course; also, the course makes you aware of the many organizations that exists and do meaningful work in this field. This course is a gem on Coursera.

By Anthony A

Apr 17, 2020

Skeptical at first. However, the course is well-worth taking. It is somewhat superficial, but it is a 101 course, as advertised. The quality of the video and photography is absolutely outstanding, the best I have ever seen. This is an excellent course for everyone. The video quality alone makes this course worth taking. Mountains for most people are distant and abstract places. However, they are integral to all our lives. There are a few typos and vague wording in the tests and quizzes. However, I am a professional academic copy editor, so I notice them.

By Rusty W

Feb 7, 2021

A very well thought out course that covers a wide variety of topics surrounding mountains. Many topics covered are not necessarily top of mind when thinking about mountains, but as an "altitude enthusiast", I can appreciate the attention to detail provided by Mountains 101 and would be interested in diving into a couple of the topics in more detail. They did a great job of encompassing global aspects with a bit of hometown feel. A worthwhile investment for anyone with an interest in geography, meteorology, geology, or just a love for the great outdoors.

By Jean M O

May 12, 2020

When deciding which Coursera course to take I chose Mountains 101 for no specific reason. As the course unfolded so many reasons became apparent. I really enjoyed the interviews with the experts, the beautiful videos, and the very challenging maps. (I feel somewhat ready for Jeopardy now. jk) This course is a perfect introduction to mountains and taught me so much. Each chapter was unique and well-organized. I actually looked forward to getting to the material every time I opened my computer to work on the course. I want to move to the Banff area now!

By Miriam B

Mar 24, 2017

The course does an excellent job of providing a basic understanding of the multi-disciplinary facets of mountains with enough detail to display their complexity and awesomeness, but not so much that you lose sight of the draw of the mountains which brought you to the course in the first place. The visuals in the videos are appropriate and wonderful; while many of the locations are recognizable to those familiar particularly with the Rocky Mountains, it would have been an extra bonus if the locations of the background shots could have been referenced.

By Coralee K

Mar 1, 2017

I went into this course with a geologic understanding of mountains and I was pleasantly surprised by how much more there was to know about mountains. I loved the graphics and thought that the videos were well put together, and I really liked that there were so many knowledgeable guest speakers from all over (not just from Canada or Alberta). After learning about the Banff Springs Snail at the Cave and Basin in Banff National Park I can't wait for warmer weather to go see them for myself! A great course to help broaden your knowledge of mountains.

By Rosalyn A

Aug 5, 2020

This course is so thorough and covers a plethora of topics regarding mountains. I find myself always excited to watch the next video because I learn something new and intriguing in each video. I even rewatch some videos that contain so much content that I want to try and retain the information. And the instructors are very engaging, eloquent, and fun to listen to. I am also impressed with the extra aspects, such as the Tips videos, map lessons, and notes to download after each lesson. This by far is one my favorite Coursera course I have taken yet!

By Marcia V

Jun 28, 2020

Amazing course, with very interesting and useful content. The information is delivered in a clear and dynamical way, that keeps the viewer engaged and interested in learning more. I really enjoyed hearing from various experts in different fields, and the tech tips were definitely a nice bonus. I also enjoyed very much the offer that the course producers put into showing all the photos and images of beautiful mountain landscapes, which definitely contributes to keeping the viewers engaged. Thank you for the great time I had attending Mountains 101!

By Pedro H L

Jul 21, 2020

He estudiado Ciencias Ambientales en la Universidad de Málaga y he podido repasar algunos de los conceptos aprendidos. Me ha parecido muy completo y bien organizado. Le pongo la máxima nota porque soy un amante de la naturaleza , hago senderismo cada vez que puedo y la montaña es mi pasión. Me encantaría poder dedicarme a algo relacionado con la montaña en unos años, cuando acabe mis estudios. He empatizado mucho con la visión y la manera de pensar de los canadienses sobre el medio ambiente. Muchas gracias por todo, un saludo desde España.

By Emily M

Jun 9, 2017

Very well planned, fascinating course. While the curriculum only has the tip of the iceberg, it was enough to get me interested in certain subjects to go research them on my own. I like that they have a section of Suggested Reading in the notes, it was nice to be able to have a direction to go when I wanted to read more on the different subjects. Great starter 101 course, had a lot of curriculum that I was pleasantly surprised to see!

Also, the videos were gorgeous, lots of beautiful mountain landscapes. Made it very enjoyable to watch!

By Claire S

Mar 26, 2021

My favorite course!! Interesting, engaging, informational, and fun. The instructors are great, and I really enjoyed hearing from guest speakers as well. The Mountain Interactive Map was really fun to complete too, and was a great thing to include. The amount of information packed into the course is awesome - a whole range of topics and fields related to mountains, their role in a variety of disciplines, and their significance for the world. Honestly considering a career switch after this course, I enjoyed it that much.

By Joscelyn V R

Jul 7, 2020

Fue un curso maravilloso y creo que podría retomarlo porque toca temas específicos relacionados a las montañas, pero lo hace tan comprensible y te mantiene tan concentrada que quieres seguir viendo más y más. Respecto a los temas que toca, me agradó mucho que tocaran (además de los procesos físicos, químicos y biológico), temas relacionados a la sociedad y lo estético-cultural, son temas que no se resaltan mucho cuando se hablan de montañas y me parece algo genial el enfoque que le han dado al curso. ¡Muchas gracias!

By Alessandro c

Apr 14, 2020

This was a wonderful course. I really enjoyed the comprehensiveness of the approach: geography, climate, cultural aspects, biodiversity

I particularly appreciated the glaciology and geology lessons. I have an house in the Alps and always spent a lot of time in the mountains. I think that awarness of mountains ecosystems is extremely important for all the consequences it has on our lives.

I have a particular interest in Mountaineering books .

Thanks for giving us this opportunity.

Thanks for giving us this opportunity

By Michaela C

Jul 1, 2020

My experience has been challenging, learning again after years away from education, yet it has been so fulfilling.

For anybody considering the Nature then I would definitely recommend the Mountain course.

The tutors are amazing, also all the fantastic team that collaborated during the course.

I have personally enjoyed and I have only positives to say about this experience.

I'm glad I made the choice and chose University of Alberta to study more about this miracle of nature named Mountains.

Thank everybody involved!

By IVAN M H A I M

Apr 9, 2020

A very interesting journey it was. I am really impressed and excited. Mountain is my fascination and it was really amazing for me to learn so many new things via this course. The instructors were amazing. I thank them and also all the guest instructors who shed light on so many different aspects surrounding the mountains. I hope everyone will enroll in this course. Trust me, it will surely be worth of your time. Also it is time we give back to nature and to do that, you need to learn about nature. Thank you!

By Jason M

Sep 10, 2019

A more profound respect and compassion for these wild, beautiful and vulnerable heavens on earth have developed and welled up in my heart. I now feel it is my moral and obligated duty to educate people and become a steward of these magical wonders of nature. In all honesty I was somewhat saddened at the conclusion of this course. I learned an abundance of knowledge and challenge myself to obtain more. It was a pleasure to listen to, learn about and study my favorite phenomenon on earth!

By Anil S

Feb 25, 2021

Very informative and conducted without heavy jargon, easy to understand language and visual aids.

It has achieved the triple objective of awakening of the uninitiated, conservatio of envoirnment and awarness of climate change.

My sincere thanks and gratitute to all organisers especially to the presenters of the course.

My only advice would be to include more of international eco systems in the curriculam such as Himalayas to creat a feel of internationalality.

Thank you very much.🙏🙏🙏