Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

BS
Feb 11, 2021

Great fun, I really enjoyed this course. Sometimes the dialogue was somewhat repetitive but overall you can see a lot of effort went into finding experts and giving quality, accompanying video clips.

76 - 100 of 778 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Lars J F

Apr 16, 2018

This is one of the best courses I have ever experienced in all aspects from the extensive course syllabus, logical and clear execution of lessons, great exercises, nice lesson summaries and a lot of good references. The sound and video quality is top and the superb photos and videos adds a lot - you can follow this course just to see beautiful landscapes! If you enjoy spending time in the mountains and/or have interest in geography, flora and fauna, do not miss this course!

By Ian O

Apr 22, 2020

Professors Robinson and Hik, along with Matt, Laura, and all the guest presenters, were all engaging and well-spoken throughout the course, which led to a delightful experience learning about all aspects of mountains. I have never been to a mountain, my closest experience has been as a sport climber. However, this course has sparked my interest in engaging with mountain landscapes and working towards being an advocate and steward for all the different facets of mountains!

By Laurence G

May 6, 2020

I very much enjoyed the course. While not a rock climber or accomplished skier, I backpack and hike in the Sierra Nevada often. I have visited Banff and Jasper, rafted in Kicking Horse and generally enjoyed the Canadian Rockies. The highlight was standing atop a mountain that I was told drained into three different oceans. I'm particularly interested in mountain geology. While this course covered that topic, I would have enjoyed even more discussion.

Laurence Gruver

By Meagan H

Aug 25, 2019

I love the outdoors and decided to take this as an interest course. I was not disappointed! I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot. The course is both very interesting and informative and at the end of every lesson there is a short video with different tips for mountain travel. My camping/hiking/climbing trips have become much more interesting with all my new knowledge. If possible, this course also made me slightly more patriotic. I 100% recommend this course.

By Jan M

Nov 5, 2018

I cannot believe it is over. Such a highly informative and professionally made course. I love the outdoor videos, photos and admire how the topics are presented and explained in a clear and interesting way. A very big thank you to both presenters, professors Robinson and Hik and their colleagues and guests for their amazing effort and a job well done. I can highly recommend this course to anyone who would like to get to know more about the beautiful world of mountains.

By Kathleen S

Feb 13, 2017

This is an excellent class for the basics of mountain geography. I took this out of interest only, not for a grade or college credit, and enjoyed it very much and even learned a thing or two. The cinematography was beautiful and the lessons delivered in an interesting format. Both instructors were excellent and passionate about what they were discussing. Well done!!! and thank you for offering this FREE class to the world. Well worth the time & effort! Nevada, USA

By SHUBHAM B

Jun 12, 2020

A really insightful course. Professor Zac & David took things from very basic and leveled up. The examples and sites to visit on map that are related to every topic gave a deeper perspective of what was being taught. The outdoor tips in each module were really interesting too. Thanks a lot for making this course, as a Mountaineer , this gives me greater confidence in my knowledge about the mountains and I would be looking forward to more content from the Instructors.

By Rich W

May 13, 2020

This course is really fantastic. I love the mountains and found that I was being taught more about topics I'd already thought about an introduced to a range of new ones that I hadn't considered.The lecturers and presenters are engaging, the quality is immensely high and its clear that there's a deep love of the mountains folded throughout the entire course.I would highly recommend Mountains 101 and will definitely be looking into how I can take my learning further.

By Istafa S

Aug 25, 2017

This course was really well done! The content was really interesting with many guests that were relevant to the topic being discussed covering an interdisciplinary view of mountains and their significance. As a result of this course, I will now be looking into Masters programs offered at the University of Alberta so that I too can be a part of the great research happening at this university. Thank you truly to the creators and all those involved with this course.

By Odysseas C

Nov 25, 2019

Amazing course. Despite the fact I come from an entirely different background (Marketing) I enrolled because I am a landscape photographer and I wanted to enrich my knowledge on the place I like to spend my time the most, Mountains. It helped me gain important practical knowledge that will me help better prepare my next trips to nature, gain further respect and admiration for Mountains and dwelve deeper in their biological importance, history and understanding.

By monica

Jul 14, 2020

This was an amazing course with great teachers and invited guests speakers. i have learned so much over the last two months about everything mountain and my goal now is to go out there, esp. to Canada and do some serious mountain hiking. I used to do quite a bit of mountain climbing in Europe where I grew up. Our summer vacations were spent in Austria, Switzerland and Norway with lots of opportunities for some amazing hikes. Thanks again for an amazing course!

By Justyna G W

Jun 4, 2020

Excellent course!

Thanks to the cross-disciplined approach it covered a lot of interesting issues concerning mountains. If there was another part of this course, I would enroll straight away. I have never been bored during this course, which is something remarkable considering the range of topics it covered.

It was so nice to learn, and I was genuinely sad when I completed it... I would like to learn more...

The best online course I have ever done in my life!

By Eleftherios K

An exceptional, multidisciplinary course on mountain science and culture. It is engaging, very well organized and thought-provoking. The amount of science material presented is just perfect and the interviews featured added an extra 'flavor' to the lectures. I loved the mountain tips at the end of every lesson and of course, the video production and scenery was breath-taking! I had an amazing time learning new concepts and practices. Thank you so much!

By Avanee D

Jun 17, 2020

This was my first 100% e-course and I am glad it was so! I am truly dumbfounded to get the right words to express how exhilarating this experience was.

I will keep returning to this every time I miss mountains and wanna get lost in the while being at home :)

I would like to express my gratitude towards the erudite professors and guest lecturers without whom the entire experience wouldn't have been complete! This course has opened a new universe for me!

By Svenja R

Oct 5, 2020

This course was so much fun! I really enjoyed all the lectures and learned a lot of interesting facts about mountains. The course is very well structured and incorporates a lot of different aspects. I rellay enjoyed all the interviews and visiting different places which also had to be recognized on a map in the end. The tech tips were a great additional for pratical tips. Overall, this is the best coursera course I've done so far! Thank you so much!

By Benjamín A G

Dec 19, 2020

This is great, I´m so grateful for the opportunity to learn so much from such highly qualified experts and teachers. The course is perfectly organized, presenting information and inside on many, if not all, aspects of mountains and human communities around them. I specially enjoyed the lesson on glaciers. As a senior highschool student from Chile, this course has definetly influenced the decisions I am making towards my career and study choices.

By Kristopher A

Apr 3, 2017

This course was one of the best produced ones that I have seen on Coursera. The production quality of the videos is very professional and they interview experts in many different fields(history, literature, meteorology, biologists, etc.) to provide a very interdisciplinary view on the topic of the course. The quizzes aren't very challenging but they suggested plenty of supplemental material for those that want to learn more about the subject.

By Kimberly F

Jul 30, 2017

A great course for an intro to mountains! You get a little bit of everything from geology, history, biology, wildlife, culture, evolution and conservation as well as handy tips for hiking in the mountains. The modules were easy to follow, the instructors easy to understand, and each lesson was accompanied by beautiful graphics, and interviews with professionals that helped to make it feel like you were there. Can't wait to take Mountains 201!

By Goh T Y

Jun 28, 2020

Being from a country with limited mountains, I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I've always loved the outdoors, and this course allowed me to understand mountains better despite not being in close proximity with them. The scientific concepts were clearly explained, and I enjoyed how the course was very interdisciplinary. Being a humanities student myself, I really enjoyed the elaborations on how mountains shaped cultures, literature and art.

By Michelle P

Jul 31, 2020

A top-notch course that I would highly recommend for everyone. The cross-disciplinary content made the learning process both intriguing and an absolute delight. The material covered was deeply fascinating, with practical tips that anyone can apply. The breathtaking imagery left me totally inspired. I really didn't want this course to end! A big thank you to the Mountains 101 team and the University of Alberta. Got any more up your sleeve?

By Keith P

Sep 29, 2020

An amazing introduction to what mountains are actually about, beyond their seemingly everlasting beauty and majestic visual power. Their relationship with weather systems, habitats for fauna and flora, peoples and their cultures and economies is truly well presented, described, and explained.

There's a really cool surprise at the end of the course, and the whole journey towards it makes the overall learning experience a time greatly spent.

By Taylor W

Jan 5, 2021

This course is so insightful across all aspects of mountain education. From the history of mountain communities, excerpts from writers and artists inspired by the monolithic structures, the geography and animals in the mountains, climate change, and all the way to the future plans of re-introducing species into mountainous areas. This course taught me more than I could have imagined there is to learn about mountains. I highly recommend!

By Lawrence S

Jul 14, 2017

I truly enjoyed the course. It tackles a lot of disciplines from geology to history to social and they introduced relevant experts from those fields. The photos during the videos were also beautiful and they provided a pleasant experience while the instructors were discussing. This course is well developed and well produced and I consider one of the best MOOCs I have taken so far. Congratulations to the team for this magnificent work!

By Ophelia

Oct 3, 2017

I found the course to be informative with just the right amount of difficulty, requiring me to pay close attention to the lectures and those interviewed. I was amazed over how much I learned and the absolute necessity of mountains and the ecosystem!

I commend the lecturers and the interviewees for their obvious devotion and commitment to the preservation of mountains and their habitats.

Without hesitation I give the course 5 Stars!

By Dar M

Jan 28, 2017

This was such a wonderful and informative course. I love the mountains and travel frequently around the world to experience mountains in other places as much as I can. The videos were put together wonderfully with different speakers and resources, such a great collaborative effort. Education and awareness is so important for sustainability. I also really enjoyed the interactive maps and tech tips. Really great course all around.