Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus by Imperial College London

This course offers a brief introduction to the multivariate calculus required to build many common machine learning techniques. We start at the very beginning with a refresher on the “rise over run” formulation of a slope, before converting this to the formal definition of the gradient of a function. We then start to build up a set of tools for making calculus easier and faster. Next, we learn how to calculate vectors that point up hill on multidimensional surfaces and even put this into action using an interactive game. We take a look at how we can use calculus to build approximations to functions, as well as helping us to quantify how accurate we should expect those approximations to be. We also spend some time talking about where calculus comes up in the training of neural networks, before finally showing you how it is applied in linear regression models. This course is intended to offer an intuitive understanding of calculus, as well as the language necessary to look concepts up yourselves when you get stuck. Hopefully, without going into too much detail, you’ll still come away with the confidence to dive into some more focused machine learning courses in future....

Aug 3, 2019

Very Well Explained. Good content and great explanation of content. Complex topics are also covered in very easy way. Very Helpful for learning much more complex topics for Machine Learning in future.

DP
Nov 25, 2018

Great course to develop some understanding and intuition about the basic concepts used in optimization. Last 2 weeks were a bit on a lower level of quality then the rest in my opinion but still great.

76 - 100 of 873 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus

By Mikhail D

As good as the linear algebra course. Lots of important concept in calculus explained in a visual, intuitive way, without bothering the students with too much detail but making sure that they actually understand the concepts well. Both instructors and great and passionate lecturers.

By Maksym B

Sep 20, 2020

Great course with an emphasis on intuition. The course is not complicated if you have taken calculus at school. It was a good refresher for me for basic calculus concepts and it has provided with great high-level understanding of the mathematical objects like Jacobian and Hessian.

By Alagu P P G

Jul 24, 2020

this is a great refresher course for the intermediary basic on multivariate calculus.what you would learn is the math behind data analysis-regression,hessian,Jacobian more of the application of multivariate calculus.AND DO VISIT KHAN ACADEMY +FORUMS FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS

By Arka S

A great course. Engaging videos, understandable and solvable quizzes and assignments, and enthusiastic instructors. Gained a lot of insight into the topic, and this is coming from a person who has done Multivariate Calculus in University. Loved the part on Taylor's theorem.

By Rob O

This is an excellent refresher course on differential calculus emphasizing applications to machine learning. Exercises and quizzes are a mixture of solving problems by hand and completing Python coding challenges. I found this course to be very effective and worthwhile.

By Niju M N

Mar 26, 2020

Multivariate Calculus - part of Math for machine learning is a good course to brush up your math skills or to learn the basics of Calculus behind ML. Its a introductory course that helps to understand Taylor series, Jacobians , Hessians. OverAll this is a good time spent

By John M

Apr 10, 2021

I thought the first half was better than the second, but I have taken a couple of courses on this stuff, and often the teachers get bogged down in the coding and fail to really 'explain' why the math works. I thought this was one of the better courses in that regard.

By Kuldeep J

Aug 25, 2019

All the mathematical constructs and deep calculus was explained in a very intuitively with the help of visually rich animations. It seems the course content creators have spent good amount of effort in creating animations for every little useful thing, kudos to them.

By Bryan S

Feb 19, 2019

I began this course without any knowledge of calculus and I was still able to get along decently well. I did a bit of supplementary work using Khan Academy but that was more to ingrain the calculus knowledge gained (product rule, chain rule, etc) within this course .

By Siddharth S

Very Intuitive and well designed course. I just feel that covering mathematical intricacies could help in better understanding of the concept and its application. Also I feel that this course of the specialization being very application based lacked coding exposure.

By Carlo C

Sep 5, 2020

Well done!!!

The course is interesting and well organized.

Lack of Pyton knowledge from my side is sometimes critical to solve some exercises...

It's my intention, as soon as I'lI have complete the three couses, to attend a Pyton course to complete my preparation.

By Dr. N D

Jul 28, 2020

Nice designing of the course. The perfect combination of mathematics and applications. Nice videos, well explanation of concepts along with the application. A good bridge between mathematics and its applications. Thanks to professors and Imperial College London.

By Osaama S

Nov 9, 2019

This course is perfect for those who prefer to understand the intuition behind multivariate calculus, visualize the power of gradients in optimizing functions, and apply calculus to machine learning with robust understanding of underlying mathematical concepts.

By Avinash

Feb 17, 2019

This course delivers its promise it is very crisp and concise. After completing this course I just feel I have remembered all vector calculus taken in my engineering maths (which is almost 8 years back) :)

I highly recommend this course to getting started ML/DL.

By Narayan B

Jun 25, 2019

good mathematics course, but the things and concepts are explained in a very abstract way. Need to think a lot on your own while solving the quizzes as the videos are not going to help. Most of the concepts i learnt were from the quizzes rather than the videos

By Giuliano L P

Apr 13, 2018

Even though in the beginning calculus seems to be confusing, because of the difficulty of the content, do not give up, I can guarantee that this course is the best way to learn calculus. The content is presented in a creative and fascinating way. Unmissable.

By Juan M E

Nov 2, 2020

AMAZING course! Even though I already knew most of the concepts exposed through this course, I found many rich resources to add to my DS toolkit. Both professors clearly love what they do and have the capacity to express the abstractions clearly. Thank you.

By Anna U

Jan 14, 2020

An excellently simple explanation of concepts of linear algebra. Applause for lector. I really liked this course and found it very useful for those newbies in machine learning like myself. I recommend this course to all my friends and others interested in.

By Aleix L M

Nov 28, 2019

I found this course really useful and concise, straight to the concepts that are used in machine learning. The lecturers speak clearly and give very intuitive views on abstract concepts that I had trouble understanding before. I would totally recommend it.

By Arthur V

May 20, 2021

Very well paced course addressing several topics. The lectures provide several real life examples where the information can be applied, not just pure mathematical information. There are many exercises and quizzes that help you consolidate the knowledge.

By Heinz D

Nov 2, 2020

Great refresher for my calculus knowledge gained 30 years ago. The instructors are very enthusiastic and motivating and quizzes / labs support the learning process. I also like the use of very proper language (BE vs AE) practised by the instructors. :-)

By Kurt G

Aug 4, 2019

The course began quite straightforwardly, and became progressively more challenging. I would recommend to others that they continually practice their skills at finding partial derivatives, as that skill gets even more important as the class progresses.

By Shahzad A K

May 24, 2018

Great course! Builds up logically from a soft introduction to practical applications of multivariate calculus for data analytics. I no longer feel intimidated when I look at an expression involving higher order partial derivatives in multiple variables!

By FRANCK R S

Jun 3, 2018

A very useful introduction of the math behind Machine Learning, a must if you plan to understand the algorithms used in ML, as usual the teachers are very very talented, focus is put in the essential and comprehension comes intuitively, Great Thanks!

By Christoph L

Jan 6, 2020

A very good introductory course that is giving insightful explanations of how something is done and why. I especially enjoyed the part on gradient descent that was part of multiple modules. Very engaging instructors make learning easy and motivating.