Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus by Imperial College London

This course offers a brief introduction to the multivariate calculus required to build many common machine learning techniques. We start at the very beginning with a refresher on the “rise over run” formulation of a slope, before converting this to the formal definition of the gradient of a function. We then start to build up a set of tools for making calculus easier and faster. Next, we learn how to calculate vectors that point up hill on multidimensional surfaces and even put this into action using an interactive game. We take a look at how we can use calculus to build approximations to functions, as well as helping us to quantify how accurate we should expect those approximations to be. We also spend some time talking about where calculus comes up in the training of neural networks, before finally showing you how it is applied in linear regression models. This course is intended to offer an intuitive understanding of calculus, as well as the language necessary to look concepts up yourselves when you get stuck. Hopefully, without going into too much detail, you’ll still come away with the confidence to dive into some more focused machine learning courses in future....

JT

Nov 13, 2018

Excellent course. I completed this course with no prior knowledge of multivariate calculus and was successful nonetheless. It was challenging and extremely interesting, informative, and well designed.

Aug 04, 2019

Very Well Explained. Good content and great explanation of content. Complex topics are also covered in very easy way. Very Helpful for learning much more complex topics for Machine Learning in future.

101 - 125 of 711 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus

By Francisco R A

Oct 29, 2019

Great course, I really enjoyed it. The way of teaching visually rather than theoretically keeps those that get lost in formulae like me on track. The visual explanation of what a derivative is helps a lot for instance.

By Deepak C

Jan 03, 2019

Superb course !! This course had a lot more application oriented problems and the instructor helped us visualise the intuition behind Math ! Looking forward for more of such courses from the Imperial College of London..

By Gilsiley H D

Aug 04, 2020

Interactivity in exercises, illustration in videos explain really in a new manner advanced topics, bacaming easy to understand. I amazing all. I recommend, but you need have a good understand in algebra and calculus.

By John F

May 01, 2020

Great course. In my view students need to supplement their learning with material from the Kahn Academy and 3Blue1Brown youtube channel - as recommended in the resources section of the course. Thanks to David and Sam.

By Mohammad A M

Nov 07, 2019

This course is really the BEST course for learning Multivariate calculus. Believe me, if you want to be an expert machine learning or data scientist, this course is crucial for you. Thanks a lot to Imperial College :)

By Jimmy K A

Feb 03, 2019

This is a great course to brush up your machine learning maths, this course describes backpropagation nicely and how its derived. Large part of this course is focused on optimization in which calculus is mostly used.

By Horacio G D

Jul 26, 2019

I really like this course. It goes over the multivariate calculus concepts and explains them in a very intuitive way referring to the univariate case. it's still very easy for people have seen the material before.

By Arthur T R

Oct 11, 2018

Excellent for reviewing the main concepts of Matrix Algebra and learn some few new topics. This course also gives a great intuition on how things work graphically, which increases our understanding of the topic.

By Phuong A N

Aug 02, 2020

It is very challenging course. I have to watch the video many times. But the explanation in the practice quiz is very useful. It helps me to review the lectures and try some complicated function. No pain no gain

By Helena S

Feb 28, 2020

The best course in the specialization. The material is very abstract, but the Lecturer's explanations are so clear that it seems easy - even though it isn't! A model course. I've learned a great deal. Thank you!

By caterina w

Apr 02, 2019

So glad the Professor made it back - he didn't show up until week 5. He's so charismatic and funny to watch. I learnt loads from this module and really appreciate the 'audit access'. Power to the People :)

By Bautista P

Apr 22, 2020

Muy bueno, con explicaciones y profesores super claros, mostrando y desarrollando la teoría junto con la práctica en ejercicios de programación básicos para quien no esta adentrado al mundo de la informática

By Rishik R

Dec 15, 2019

Very interesting and engaging material in this course. Feel a little bit difficulty while understanding topics from Sir David Dye's videos but the way of teaching by Sir Samuel J. Cooper is really excellent.

By Luke L

Apr 29, 2020

An amazing course. Materials are presented in a way that spurs you on to learn more. The BEST MOOC I've taken so far! This course is great in how much material is covered. Truly a calculus roller coaster.

By Ritik B

Apr 24, 2020

The course taught Multivariate Calculus from scratch. Quizzes and programming assignments were highly helpful in clearing concepts and applying acquired knowledge. Thanks a lot for this wonderful course.

By Oj S

Jan 03, 2020

All teachers are exceptional, and the examples covered really made sense and are likely to remain fitted in the student's minds so that they would never forget the fundamentals described in this course.

By AKSHAT M

Jul 26, 2020

I just absolutely loved this course. It was a great course both on a practical level as well as giving the intuition and a feel of the multivariable calculus. Kudos to Sam Cooper sir and David Dye sir.

By MD S H

Jul 17, 2020

Great course. But it would be better to give more intuition about Lagrange multipliers and general non-linear least squares. Overall this course is awesome and got me to dig and practice more calculus.

By Lotachukwu I

Jun 21, 2020

Very well thought out course. Concepts covered in this course are very well explained. You would need to have at least a high school foundation in Calculus to appreciate the content in this course.

By Raul B C M

Aug 23, 2020

It was very challenging, but not to the point where I felt lost. And that to me means I pushed the limits of my knowledge and skills further than before, which is what I expected from the course.

By Jeongtae L

Jul 05, 2020

There are somewhat missing points. maybe too easy for someone, but not me. Anyway, all materials were easy to follow and instructors give an excellent explanations about topics. Great experience.

By Antonio F

May 13, 2020

Great course. It is clear and accessible, giving a lot of the intuition of why things are done. Some important topics in calculus are missing, such as Integration, but overall very good course.

By Thomas N

Aug 05, 2020

Fantastic course and amazing instructors! I have always been a bit intimidated by math but your course boosted my confidence that I can learn these rather complicated ideas. Thank you so much!

By Syed H A M S

Apr 28, 2020

I am happy see that how the simple concepts of calculus can be helpful in answering the machine learning problem. Instructors are very professionals and did full justification with the course.

By 김은산

Mar 08, 2020

Though it was tough course, after you finish it, you might have a little confidence in your understanding linear regression. For a beginner like me, that will be my start point for my career.