Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus by Imperial College London

This course offers a brief introduction to the multivariate calculus required to build many common machine learning techniques. We start at the very beginning with a refresher on the “rise over run” formulation of a slope, before converting this to the formal definition of the gradient of a function. We then start to build up a set of tools for making calculus easier and faster. Next, we learn how to calculate vectors that point up hill on multidimensional surfaces and even put this into action using an interactive game. We take a look at how we can use calculus to build approximations to functions, as well as helping us to quantify how accurate we should expect those approximations to be. We also spend some time talking about where calculus comes up in the training of neural networks, before finally showing you how it is applied in linear regression models. This course is intended to offer an intuitive understanding of calculus, as well as the language necessary to look concepts up yourselves when you get stuck. Hopefully, without going into too much detail, you’ll still come away with the confidence to dive into some more focused machine learning courses in future....

Aug 3, 2019

Very Well Explained. Good content and great explanation of content. Complex topics are also covered in very easy way. Very Helpful for learning much more complex topics for Machine Learning in future.

JT
Nov 12, 2018

Excellent course. I completed this course with no prior knowledge of multivariate calculus and was successful nonetheless. It was challenging and extremely interesting, informative, and well designed.

251 - 275 of 866 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus

By Mithun B

Oct 15, 2018

Really liked the course. If there are more of neural network course that Imperial College can come up would be best.

By Jose G G M

Apr 17, 2021

A good introduction about gradient descent, theoretical and programming in python in a basic but interesting level.

By Rajesh S K T

Jun 23, 2020

Very nice course!! Multivariate calculus application towards machine learning is

amazingly tailored !!! Good one!!!

By KAMASANI V R

Jun 19, 2020

This course helped me in learning key concepts of calculus like gradient, gradient descent, jacobian, hessaine etc.

By sameen n

Feb 22, 2019

It us good course and gave me basic understanding of multivariate calculus. It provide insight of gradient descent.

By Imran S

Dec 2, 2018

Well explained and I would say also https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/taylor-series.html to get some more details.

By Bruno E G M

Jul 5, 2020

Nice course, but you should check the english subtitles, they are wrong 5% of the time and also have grammar typos

By Andrés A G R

Mar 24, 2020

Excelente curso, su fortaleza radica en la claridad de las explicaciones y en la forma en que aplica los conceptos

By Hamza a

Oct 23, 2018

This one is a very good course and also very well organized. I also have used khan academy for making things clear

By Xiaoyuan C

Jun 4, 2018

Fabulous applied mathematics course! It is so interesting that I cannot believe that it is a mathamatical course.

By Carlos C

Jan 17, 2021

It is the best mathematics course, I apply my knowledge about calculus in real problems. It was great experience

By Nelson C S

Feb 12, 2020

A very good course. Also, It is a very important for those who want to know how machine learning algorithms work.

By Sri H

Aug 9, 2020

Excellent course. Starts from basics and scales up to complex topics like gradient descent and linear regression

By Daniel A

May 9, 2020

Excellently taught, clearly explained and assignments always felt intuitive with the explanation from the videos

By Serge K

Dec 12, 2018

I love the assignments. It was fun being able to translate mathematics equations and algorithms into python code

By Dinesh T

Jul 24, 2021

Great instructors and the presentation making complex concepts clear with proper graphical tools and animation.

By Ghanem A

Apr 18, 2021

Topics covered are all relevant and clearly show how it all fits together for the purpose of solving ML models

By Shraavan S

Jan 6, 2019

The intuition is explained very clearly. Graphs in 2D and 3D are used effectively to clearly express the idea.

By José C V

Sep 18, 2020

Excellent course, i feel is very useful to develop applications with this ideas. Thanks for the lessons.

J.C.

By Aniruddh M

Sep 7, 2020

Wow! Things seemed to look difficult at some stage.

But algorithms came and saved the day every single time!

By Ng H

Excellent course on multivariate calculus, concepts are well taught and easy to understand by the professors

By Aleksey I

Apr 22, 2018

Great course. Might be missing a few small details that will be hopefully filled in for the next iterations.

By Sohail A

Nov 29, 2019

this is a very good course to learn machine learning basics. I will suggest this course to my friends also.

By Sivasankar S

Oct 19, 2020

Excellent course and I am happy that I had taken and able to do it. Thank you so much for the entire team.

By Mahrukh T

Oct 6, 2019

Amazing course to gain firm understanding of mathematical concepts underlying Machine Learning! Thank you.