Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

2426 - 2450 of 2,842 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By Bart B

Apr 06, 2020

Good course, you really learn skills which are valuable in real (business) life. The exercise of week 6 is excellent.

However, it was a bit slow paced and a bit too easy. I think I could have learned the same material in much less time if the videos had been more to the point (maybe some exmaples less, or explain an example with 2 sentences instead of 5).

If you want to go faster, just read the book and only do the exercise of week 6 and the end exam. The book is almost a literal transcription of what he says in the videos. Indentical examples and anecdotes.

Summary: content was great but could have been more fast paced.

By Carina P

Oct 06, 2015

Some strategies I learnt, I would have never thought of. An interesting course and quite enjoyable. A great course for any business person who needs the essential ingredients for negotiating. Thank you to the lecturer and much appreciated.

Perhaps a little additional material to give it some depth? I just felt a little more was needed to validate the material to put what we learn into practice. But apart from that, a worthwhile course for anyone that needs to negotiate in their business. I am sure I will refer back to this from time to time, as some pointers will help keep you in focus with your strategies.

By Virgilio L

Sep 11, 2020

I just found the final exam a bit confusiong when the answers options were displaying > "two of the above". What does it mean? 1: the last two answers which are located right above ? or 2: any other answer that is above?. Still, I found the course not clear enough on the differences and similarities between mediation, arbitrarion, litigation. I know it is a lot to cover, but the course is ambigous about these themes. Anyhow, it was very interesting, George is awesome, I've learned from it and I do recommend it to my friends for sure! Thanks for the opportunity!

By Eduardo M O

Sep 01, 2020

Primeiramente eu agradeço a oportunidade de ter estudado esse curso de forma gratuita na plataforma Coursera. Esse curso é recomendado a pessoas que não tem noção de como é feita negociações de preço. Ele explora de forma geral algumas leis sobre negociação nos EUA.

Os motivos por não considerar a nota máxima são:

Verborragia e que o curso não é adaptado a todas as legislações, mas expõe de forma geral alguns conceitos universais como fraude, mesmo que não seja diretamente aplicável a legislação de todas as nações.

By Kannike I O

Oct 18, 2015

My personal opinion is that every lawyer needs to master the art of negotiation and this is one of the best if not the best platform to initiate that process. I would say specifically that I have learnt a lot and I believe this would give me an edge over lawyers that have no idea about this in my country (NIGERIA).

Thank you very much coursera for giving people like me an opportunity to know and understand more. You are truly creating a world without educational boundaries.

By Brandon P

Jan 23, 2017

Would like more exercises to test knowledge throughout the course, not just one large exam at the end. Would prefer less choices on final exam questions to better demonstrate one's knowledge of material, not test-taking skills.

Professor Siedel is a wonderful professor with many years of both theoretical and practical knowledge. His real-world examples allow students to apply course materials beyond academia to the business world and life in general.

By Dagmar H

Nov 16, 2015

This course was really useful and Prof. Siedel is such a great person. It is a pleasure listen to his lectures that were more like stories. I however would have liked to have little quizzes in between the weeks to review the content. It adds up quite a lot and even taking notes, at the end some info gets missing. I definitely recommend this course though. I am sure I will do much better in my next negotiation.

By Neraj G

Apr 09, 2020

The course is well designed to give extra mileage on the Negotiation skills.

The presentation of the course and examples are very helpful for learning the concepts well.

In my opinion some topics needs more focus and illustration namely

" Decision Tree", Different options of Authority like Express,Apparent and Implied.

I througly enjoyed the topics and it will defntly benefit me in my Negotation skills.

By Ivo G P

Apr 18, 2017

The course is great, but the title was misleading for me. I would call it "Contract Negotiation", because there is a lot of information on the laws and the specifications of contract signing that I think are too specific to be present in a general negotiation course. Other than that, the teacher is great and the tests/exams also allow for a continuous notion of our progression.

By Felipe G

Nov 16, 2015

The way professor Mr. G. Siedel conducted the course is very practical and useful. Invites always to "think about answers" to complex questions and his new approaching techniques to negotiate with success are truly useful to analyze your behave negotiating, and therefore , improve in the negotiation techniques and knowledge of tools and different approaches to a negotiation.

By Varkholiak R

Aug 31, 2020

В цілому курс сподобався, але була одна досить велика проблема. На жаль, я не володію англійською мовою, тому доводилось перекладати Google. Переклад далекий від досконалості, і були випадки, що я не міг зрозуміти про що взагалі йде мова і яку відповідь обрати. Це трохи вплинуло на кінцевий результат. Побажання: зробіть переклад на екзаменаційні запитання на інші мови.

By Soyeon P

Oct 08, 2016

For me, this course was very thought-provoking. The professor gave many examples to make sure students understood the study materials. It was very interesting and challenging course. Even for someone who doesnt have skills in negotiation, this course definetely helped me to understand how to negotiate with structure and how to use it. Every penny was worth it!

By Catrinescu V

Sep 27, 2015

It is a quite well structured course. Is missing a little bit "flash" to become more incentive, attractive. Negotiation is part of "sell and buy" something and many times is not only a scheme of calculus, could be also sentimental decision and in this case is difficult to determine the right value (value creation is like a bubble soap, nice but easy to break).

By Kalliope T

Apr 18, 2017

This is a very dense course, offering a quite detailed information and technique on negotiation. While the focus is very much on business deal negotiations, one can pick up transferable skills to apply in other areas. While the knowledge gained through this course is not directly applicable in my area of work, it is a useful course to have taken.

By Arati S

Sep 05, 2020

Amazing tutor Professor Siegel. Your simplified manner of delivery of the concepts relating to the real time incidents is what draws more from this programme. The book on NEGOTIATION STRATEGY authored by you will be as a memory of pursuing this programme and a treasure to me.

Thank you University of Michigan for embracing this course.

By Tom E

Aug 25, 2015

This course covers all the bases of general negotiation. The professor is well traveled and credentialed in his field and gives very frank, matter-of-fact presentations of the material. The only thing I would change about the course is that I would have periodic check-up quizzes to help the learner gauge his/her understanding.

By Parth C

May 07, 2020

this is an exceptional and well-designed course study and I hope It will help in the future to crack the better deal in the corporate world. Even though somehow I felt It could be better explained in some topics because I felt that the professor has presumed that we know some of the terms and topics. Thank you Prof. Seigle.

By Isabela B S M

Jun 15, 2020

Great course, give you a lot of opportunities to learn and improve your Knowledge on the subject, but it lacks on help (even when it is well known that the final text is really difficult), as well as it can be a little bit repetitive or slow some times. Regardeless of those things, i really enjoyed my time learning.

By Seyedeh S B

It was an interesting course. I did not know much about concepts, techniques, and tools for negotiations. There are also examples given for every new concept. However, there are some unclear content and some law-related concepts that make a person who is not pursuing law confused. But I do recommend it in general :)

By Pablo E

May 12, 2017

Very good and useful teachings!. Thank you and congratulations. The teaching method could be perhaps improved , making it more attractive. It's too much based on a bit monotonous videos, with scarce interaction or variation. And I would say that the final exam is a a bit tricky. Anyway I think is a really good c

By Santiago Z S

Aug 09, 2020

This course is great to understand the insights and essential skills to undergo a negotiation. Professor. Siedel has great acknowledge and expertise and outlines this in a great manner. The only thing that could be improved is the relevance of the information given that the initial course was published in 2014.

By Fowad

Dec 02, 2015

Exceptional practical knowledge well explained examples, one confusing part was in the final exam multiple choice of the answer option titled "two of the above" as the student should be able to select 2 each of the 2 answers or this option is redundant in my opinion other wise overall really enjoyed the course.

By Lucas d R S R

Jul 13, 2020

O curso oferece uma visão geral e com detalhes sobre as ferramentas e fundamentos da negociação. O conhecimento do curso interessante para se ter como uma habilidade útil em diversas situações da vida.O curso não irá te ensinar como ser um negociador, ele te dará informações de técnicas e como usá-las!

By Andreas L

Sep 04, 2015

This course is focussing on negotiation in business.

But the presented concepts and strategies can be used in private negotiations of all kinds.

I found the legal aspects of negotiation of contracts rather boring, but then you can watch the videos in double speed.

All in all a very useful course for me.

By Rahul B

Jun 23, 2020

It was a great learning experience with professor over last few week, it kept me engaged & most important inspired me for future, this course Structure , the reading, personal learning and assignment and action learning assignment is quite unique. This course give really good fundamental awareness