Back to Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator by Yale University

This course will help you be a better negotiator. Unlike many negotiation courses, we develop a framework for analyzing and shaping negotiations. This framework will allow you to make principled arguments that persuade others. It will allow you to see beneath the surface of apparent conflicts to uncover the underlying interests. You will leave the course better able to predict, interpret, and shape the behavior of those you face in competitive situations. In this course, you will have several opportunities to negotiate with other students using case studies based on common situations in business and in life. You can get feedback on your performance and compare what you did to how others approached the same scenario. The cases also provide a setting to discuss a wide-ranging set of topics including preparing for a negotiation, making ultimatums, avoiding regret, expanding the pie, and dealing with someone who has a very different perspective on the world. Advanced topics include negotiating when you have no power, negotiating over email, and the role of gender differences in negotiation. To close out the course, we will hear insights from three negotiation experts: Linda Babcock, Herb Cohen, and John McCall MacBain. Enjoy....

MN

Jun 12, 2017

I have completed over 12 courses on Coursera and this one is the best presented of them all. You can learn a lot of un-intuitive things about negotiation that will serve you well in life and business.

NK

Great course .. being an Indian Negotiation is very natural to me. It starts with street vendors in India. I would like you to upload more case studies industry based .. I loved the way you teach ...

51 - 75 of 1,057 Reviews for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

By Kathrin H

Mar 04, 2019

A must have for everyone!!!!Pure fun.

By Elena C C

Mar 02, 2020

Very useful and entertaining!!

By Lusine A

Jan 18, 2019

It is very interesting.

By Hannah R

Aug 30, 2017

Really loved the quality and pacing of this course. Find it extremely beneficial for all types of work -- by looking at negotiating terms in a mathematical way so it's quantitative; not subjective. Only criticism would be a requirement to have a live negotiation that's filmed and edited for peer review. Would prefer the class to be self-contained; difficult to find a partner.

By Moyukh B

I would have appreciated this course far more if the principles of negotiation were explored before diving into the mathematics first. Rather than clarifying the theories and expanding on them through mathematical representation Barry dove right into significantly complicated theorem which one would only relate with once the principles were clear.

By Bozhidar

Mar 01, 2020

This is a great course for everybody who wants to improve its negotiation skills. I enjoyed very much the exercises and the videos!

By David M

Aug 25, 2015

After the first two introductions the course was not for me.

By Maria I A

This was a great introduction course to negotiation. I can definitely say I now have better principles and tips for negotiating situations. Of course this is probably not the course for someone whose job is to negotiate as its daily task (and even for those, it might be helpful), but it definitely provides some insights that every person should have as a citizen. This will give you tips to benefit you in future negotiations, but most of all, it will teach you to be fair, honest and win a negotiation in a healthy way. The math of it might be considering advanced for some, but I don't think you have to understand all the formulas and equations behind it, if you can get a general sense of what is being taught. I definitely reccomend this course to have it on your CV, and to give you some tips on how to confront possible future situations of your life like negotiating a house, or a better salary. All the people that contribute to this course are expert in the matters and it's great to hear from them. In addition, this course is super interactive, easy to follow, and it promotes "learning by doing", by connecting you to other people, all over the world, who are also taking this course, for simulations of real negotiations, which allows you to practice what you learned in a chill environment, where there's nothing but tremendous learning opportunities. Thank you Professor Barry!

By Marwan

Sep 05, 2020

I come from an authoritarian background, whether family or education system. Actually as a child i never had the opportunity to learn anything about negotiation.

As an adult i avoided any situation in which a negotiation was possible. I retreated easily and i thought i didn't have an assertive attitude. Today i know you can't be assertive if you don't know the meaning of a "pie" and how to calculate it, or how to be prepared in advance for the negotiation. Also you have to know your added value and how others see your added value. I was always confrontational and not collaborative. I had always arbitrator attitude.

Today i went to wash my car, i told them to clean it from the outside only and not to touch it from the inside. After they were done i asked how much for outside cleaning only, their answer was 7 whether from inside and outside or just from outside. I said i will talk to the manager, who repeated the same answer. I replied, logically it should be less. The manager said to the workers, just take 5 from him.

I drove the car with a smile saying to myself, this course has started to show effects.

By Krajc, D

Sep 03, 2015

Beautiful made lecture. (Be so kind to excuse my miserable English. It is still under construction)

After I had to change my proficiency, from being a truck driver to a total different job type by doing sales on telephone, my new boss (new and different company) urged me. She urged me, to invest in my private time learning how to make money on the phone. Instead of irritating potential customers by doing weird offers.

After a good while of understanding, why is the other side willing to invest in products, my wage is remarkably higher. By compare of some weeks before.

I understand also, to invest in ideas which are worth to pay for. And I started with one bought book to learn "Game Theory 101: The Complete Textbook". The other two books are introduced by Prof. Barry Nielbuff.

Yes, my QUIZZ-answers are WRONG. Nevertheless I learn what is going on. And that helps me doing a much better job. With great fun.

Just want to say ...

... Thank you all.

By Even S

May 06, 2020

The course is a good balance of video, quizzes and groupassigments that creates a variated and interactive course!

Videos with controlquestions in the middle or at the end that makes sure you as a learner keeps up with whats going on.

The course altso gives some good insite about different theories within negotioations and deviding assets before going on to solving cases with classmates. The Forums make it easy to find partners in your class and good directions on how to hand in the results in the best way for your peers to grade the quality of your negotioation.

Would recomend this course as the level of effort put in to making it, makes it a great course with lots of learning. A great make by the proffessor and everyone involved!

At the end of the course you have some new tools and views on negotioations and how to devide assets.

An over all good experiance !

By Ozge B K

Aug 01, 2020

Beyond any doubts, as popular options of e-learning, technology-enhanced platforms and MOOC initiatives have changed the way the world of learning and knowledge sharing. In the digital era, when it comes to lifelong learning, their sphere of influence are non-negligible.

Accordingly, I hereby would like to thank to Yale University, as well.

I am very pleased to attend and complete another course including remarkable cases and a wide-ranging set of topics. I highly recommend the MOOC “Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator” to everyone who wants to dive deeper into negotiation principles and a pie framework.

I am sincerely grateful to Yale University and Prof. Barry Nalebuff as well as, coursera for this challenging but promising experience and innovative learning opportunity.

By Diego M

Jan 17, 2016

This is one of the most remarkable, useful and well-structured courses I have ever taken, in real life or online. The principles of negotiation are well explained and applied, and the interactions we must develop with our classmates make the experience incredibly friendly and applicable to real life settings. This course has given me a firm ground to approach negotiation problems from a logical perspective, which is never taught at school but which I believe is a fundamental part of a successful career and personal life.

I wish this course had lasted longer and perhaps covered some topics in greater detail--proof that this is an excellent course is that upon finishing I had even more questions on my mind!

Thanks so much Prof. Nalebuff for a truly extraordinary course!

Diego Miranda-Saavedra, PhD

By Heleen B

Oct 09, 2020

Even though the first weeks seem heavy on the mathematics the lessons in the other weeks are so rewarding that it is worth pushing your way through week 1. Contrary to some other reviewers I think the course material is extremely well balanced with regards to the many aspects of negotiations. Barry Nalebuff is a very clear, thoughtful and entertaining teacher. The videos and animations are neat, fun and well put together. And honestly I think the course offers extremely valuable lessons for life in general.

I sincerely recommend doing the negotiation assignments with other students. I found it very doable to connect with peers through the forum and the study groups. And the assignments doubled or even trippled my learnings and motivation.

By Dipu J

Jun 19, 2020

Barry has elegantly structured the classes to teach us the basics of negotiation, in a simplest but interesting way, which otherwise would have been quite complex and difficult concept to learn. He helped us to approach negotiations critically rather than emotionally and inculcated the concept of maximizing the pie, being equitable and allocentric. The guest lectures, were stalwarts in the field of negotiations and was quite an experience, understanding their perspective in approaching the negotiations, whether in personal or professional life.

Also, thank you Coursera for helping me to access such classes and versatile faculty/ies from Yale University, which otherwise impossible for me attend

By Peter F

Apr 19, 2020

An excellent course, led by a highly engaging and passionate professor. The course has now been running for a number of years, however Professor Nalebuff is clearly still heavily involved in providing new material and engaging with students.

I was surprised to find some reviewers were critical of the math. Obviously the difficulty is relative, however I don't feel the small amount of math in the first 2 weeks should dissuade anyone from taking the course, and it seemed more a way of providing objective solutions that couldn't be disputed in illustrating the principles being taught.

This is what true learning should be about, and an outstanding effort by Barry Nalebuff and the Coursera platform.

By Ehab A

Sep 29, 2015

Loved this course.

The lecture videos were very clear, well framed, loved the white background and the instructor was always looking at the camera.

The animated illustrations provided made the lecture extremely fun to watch and a lot easier to understand.

Barry is an excellent presenter, well spoken, fun, pleasant and speaks in a welcoming tone.

What I loved about this course is the nature of the assignments which stressed the point of actually doing negotiations with other classmates, it forced me to interact with complete strangers from different countries and review the work of others, which was an immensely pleasant experience.

By Gissella G T

Aug 01, 2020

He estado trabajando los últimos 15 años en el área comercial, lo que requirió de innumerables negociaciones exitosas (y otras no tanto). Sin embargo, este curso me ha dado nuevas herramientas y conceptos, que estoy segura facilitarán mis próximas negociaciones. Recomiendo este curso al 100%, lo he disfrutado, me he reído, y sobre todo he aprendido muchísimo. Creo que nada de esto hubiese sido posible sin el carismático profesor Barry, quien logró motivarme durante todo el curso con sus eleocuentes clases y sobre todo su don de gente, al punto de disfrutar cada clase como si fuera un niño abriendo los regalos de Navidad!

By Cristina R

Jun 08, 2020

I can only say THANK YOU Prof. Nalebuff!

The course is challenging, interesting, stimulating and helped me learn not only negotiation skills but to understand their wide and useful implications in the real world. I developed a more strategic frame of mind without compromising on aspects such as fairness and mutual parties satisfaction. Thank you for making the course so interactive and interesting, I never felt we were alone in this. I also enjoyed the group projects which helped to push our limits, challenge the concepts we were learning and use them in concrete negotiation cases. I could not recommend this course more.

By yvonneluyifan

Sep 23, 2015

I found this course very helpful and would recommend this course for anyone who wants to improve their negotiation skills. The course uses animation to elaborate complex concepts and assignments for practices. Not like other negotiation skills teaching the tips for negotiation, the thinking logic and principle of the course is highly useful. Besides, there are many recorded role plays for us to see what others do and what we can learn from others. So far this is the best course I've taken at Coursera Platform! I do think Coursera should make some billboard for course recommendations based on students comments.

By Manuel L

This course is extremely valuable. It provides a really interesting approach to negotiations, which is really creative and easy to understand. If you are keen on Maths there is also some optional advanced information.

The videos are really proffesionally animated and easy-going. Having live practices with fellow students is enriching and amusing. On top of everything, the advices of experienced negotiators are really valuable treasures.

Another important thing is that the considered study cases cover some situations that might be faced in your professional career. No doubt, I highly recommend this course!

By Stefano M

May 23, 2020

This is an amazing course, wonderfully prepared and giving you super useful skills, applicable not only in deal making. It shows a principled approach to negotiation, framing it in terms of fairness and not as a hard ball game. Besides being an effective method, it provides a constructive approach to negotiation, allowing you to get the desired outcome without compromising on the long-term relationships. As a scientist myself, I very much enjoyed the touch of math and a very quick intro to game theory! Thank you Prof. Nalebuff and all the people who helped you prepare this wonderful experience!

By Ioanna-Maria D

Oct 21, 2018

It is a very interesting course. It gives you an idea of what to think before entering a negotiation, setting your goals, the importance of cooperating with the other person to find a solution that works for both sides, expanding the benefits of a deal. The videos are simple with great visualisations that help you understand the basic concepts of the negotiation. The exercises that you have to do and the quizzes are brilliant and help you understand the material as well as practice with other persons. The professor Barry Nalebuff is great too. I highly recommend this course.

By Kristi-Ann B

Aug 24, 2020

Fantastic course! Excellent Prof who is extremely enthusiastic and engaging. The course material was equally challenging as it was interesting. Guest speakers were also great, once again great choice by Course Lecturer Prof Barry Nalebuff I can't say enough great things about him, really. Highly recommend! As an Attorney-at-Law I felt I had some negotiation skills going in but learning the theoretical aspects of negotiation the concepts and principles in such an intricate manner is certainly beyond the practical negotiation training received in law school.

By Shruti K

Jun 06, 2020

Negotiation game upgrade alert 🚀 Thank you Barry Nalebuff #HerbCohen #lindababcock #johnmccallmacbain for a real life learning experience that changed the way I approach negotiations. I am ready to create further value, prepared to achieve desired outcomes in any business situation and make the deals my clients want.Thanks Julan Deden for being a great negotiation partner, we made negotiation fun even if it lasted 10 hours at a time!Coursera & Yale University thanks for making an important skill to have in business and in life available for learning.