Back to Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator by Yale University

This course will help you be a better negotiator. Unlike many negotiation courses, we develop a framework for analyzing and shaping negotiations. This framework will allow you to make principled arguments that persuade others. It will allow you to see beneath the surface of apparent conflicts to uncover the underlying interests. You will leave the course better able to predict, interpret, and shape the behavior of those you face in competitive situations. In this course, you will have several opportunities to negotiate with other students using case studies based on common situations in business and in life. You can get feedback on your performance and compare what you did to how others approached the same scenario. The cases also provide a setting to discuss a wide-ranging set of topics including preparing for a negotiation, making ultimatums, avoiding regret, expanding the pie, and dealing with someone who has a very different perspective on the world. Advanced topics include negotiating when you have no power, negotiating over email, and the role of gender differences in negotiation. To close out the course, we will hear insights from three negotiation experts: Linda Babcock, Herb Cohen, and John McCall MacBain. Enjoy....

MN

Jun 12, 2017

I have completed over 12 courses on Coursera and this one is the best presented of them all. You can learn a lot of un-intuitive things about negotiation that will serve you well in life and business.

NK

Great course .. being an Indian Negotiation is very natural to me. It starts with street vendors in India. I would like you to upload more case studies industry based .. I loved the way you teach ...

76 - 100 of 1,059 Reviews for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

By Ganesh Y

Aug 17, 2017

An excellent course, organised by a superb instructor. I would highly recommend this course to anyone with a general interest in negotiation. The course is fun, interesting and constantly challenging. Great care has been taken in the preparation of materials, including the visual appeal of the animations used in videos and the direct dialogue by Prof. Barry Nalebuff. There are tools and exercises that you will find applicable in everyday life, not just in negotiations. This course is worth the Coursera subscription alone. Thanks to all involved.

By Cyril R

May 06, 2020

This is the best course I've done on Coursera so far. All the lectures are amazingly well-designed and Professor Nalebuff is a superb teacher. I started learning this course with the intention of developing my people skills and making me better at negotiations, and I must say that it has paid off.

Once I get my stipend, I am certainly going to buy the certificate for this course. I think that would be the best way to show my admiration for this course, the lecturers and the sheer amount of knowledge that I learned over the past 8 weeks.

By Pedro H P A

Aug 12, 2019

Like the course very much. Among other things, it gives a complementary framework for negotiators, especially for the smaller players under the perspective that even though they might be smaller, a potentially positive agreement for all involved can only be reached if the smaller player also agrees.

This concept allows smaller players to pursue equal parts of the total benefit instead of pre-agreement weight proportionality, under the argument that if the smaller does not agree, the projected benefit will actually not take place.

By Anuroop G

May 03, 2020

I started this course because I believe that negotiation is a very important skill in today's world and after finishing this course I think I have a better outlook on how to approach a negotiation. This course clears all the basic, one needs to know in order to prepare for a negotiation. The exercises were practical which helped a lot. And we even got some different insights from other professional negotiators. Overall I believe this course is really beneficial for someone who really wants to learn about negotiation.

By Yuriy K

Apr 17, 2017

Absolutely an amazing course. This course is educational , entertaining with clever videos and an incredible lecturer and so so practical with skype negotiations and so much amazing material. I can not recommend this course enough it is priceless. I am already applying what I learned and it is fantastic. I think even if you did half of the course you would learn so much applicable life changing material.Thank you to Barry Nalebuff and Yale University and every one who helped put this course together! Thank you.

By Suhaimi W C

Aug 26, 2020

Great course to be a principled negotiator. The course has 3 cases to negotiate with other students. A great opportunity to practice what we just learned. Highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to be a better negotiator in life. Thanks much Professor Barry Nalebuff and his team, as well as to Yale University and Coursera to bring such an awesome course for us to learn and practice so we can be a better negotiator and fair person in life as well as better contribute to our community and society.

By Oscar E S

Aug 30, 2017

This was the best negotiation course I ever took in my 32 years of business career. Professor Barry Nalebuff really did a great job in compiling experiences in business, and in didactically presenting this in a Distance Training Internet Course. A note to all young people starting a career: I am convinced, that if I had taken this course earlier in my career and in life, many things would have been much better--I suggest you take this opportunity right now and be surprised on how simple it is!

By Tanya

It is a very interesintg, useful and effective course, which after finishing it will help both at work and in life. It might be felt that it is quite complicated for those, who are not native speakers, but with time when you go dipper and dipper, you become more and more engaged into it and you can't stop doing it. The Professor is remarkable! The tasks are creative and aspirational. Highly recommend to those, who wants to get more practical and professional knowledge in the negotitations art.

By Dwarkanath P

Feb 25, 2016

Absolutely loved the course! Watched every lecture. Professor Barry Nalebuff is a great teacher. His enthusiasm towards the subject matter is noteworthy. Didn't feel like a 11 hours course at all. Maybe because I played it on 1.5x ;).

The course helped me understand a great deal of theory on negotiation. I compared the course content to my experience in negotiations and found the mistakes I was making. I'll try to correct those in future negotiations.

I'd recommend the course to everyone!

By Sandeep V

Jul 04, 2020

One of the best course on Negotiation strategies. Though this being my very 1st course, the course content was well covered & all the concepts were explained in detail with animations and diagrams where ever necessary.That helped in easy explanation & understanding of even some difficult content. The case studies were excellent in the way they were carried out with anonymous peers. We had exchanged ideas & helped provide inputs which made the course even more interacting & interesting.

By sulafah b

Aug 19, 2017

I love this course. the professor is amazing. the material is really simple and easy to understand although some cases took me lon time to comprehend all the details but as what is says" if it dose not challenge you, it wont change you" . this course gave me the confidence to engage in negotiation and how to argue and what to do when its get tough. I strongly recommend this course for those who looking to learn the basic and principles on how to make the best out come of any deal.

By Jonathan G

Sep 25, 2020

The only word that come to mind is thanks. Thanks for all the work in putting this course together. It is packed of wisdom and hardly acquired experience on Negotiation. The peer to peer negotiation are an amazing way to train and meet interesting people. I am from the UK and partnered with people in Nigeria, Brazil, and Thailand. And the acting of the negotiation from students is very valuable too. I say it once more, thanks for all the work in preparing and sharing this material.

By Adam Ł

Mar 31, 2017

[Going through Week 8 now] Mr Nalebuff is a great teacher, he introduces advanced concepts basing on the most understandable day-to-day examples. The course material covers a wide range of topics, but every single one of them is taught thoroughly and professionally.

Great cases to get some hands-on experience with negotiation.

Beautiful animations by Mr Dan Ashwood, hats off for you sir.

I am definitely going to recommend the course to some of my friends keen on the matter.

Thank you!

By Shane I E

Oct 08, 2019

Outstanding course that Barry and his team have put together. You will be hard-pressed to find a more fun and engaging learning program. The content is interesting and challenging. The exercises are fun, testing and really help solidify concepts and practices, as well as introducing you to some remarkable individuals around the world. I ended up negotiating with a magistrate in Ghana and a lawyer in Poland. Highly recommend this course to novice and experienced negotiators alike.

By Sebastian S

Dec 02, 2019

Have you ever heard the saying, "there are things you know you don't know. And there are things you don't know that you don't know." This course had so much material that I would have never pursued to learn because I never knew it was a thing. I think everyone in life needs to take this course. It is applicable to the day to day life we all live. Thank you so much Professor for taking the time to put this together. I wish there was a part 2 after this introduction class.

By Colin P

Aug 07, 2018

This course opened up a new way of thinking for me about negotiation and value creation, and got me thinking about applying game theory to real world applications (my mental pie is expanded!). The format is different from any other online course I've taken: you start at 60, go to 100, then cruise at 40 for the rest of the course. Finding a negotiating partner, and the coordinating the logistics, can be challenging, but is worthwhile. Persistence in this course pays offs.

By Dóra B

Very interesting, informative and well structured material by Barry Nalebuff. I was eager to learn and always pleased to take one more video every das. I also appreciated that the mastery quiz was hard enough to test knowledge, yet possible to pass, leaving a "successful taste in mouth". As working on the IT field, it was good to learn about negotiation. Something that is not specially determined by rules, so it taught me to think out of the box. Excellent course! :)

By Dospinescu N

Aug 23, 2020

This course is very useful. It mattered to me because I found out how to calculate the bargaining pie, how to share it, what the bargaining power is, what BATNA is and the added value. I appreciate the fact that this course combines technical, mathematical aspects of negotiation with information related to the psychological perception of the power of the negotiating partner. It is a practical course that challenged me to understand negotiation on another level.

By Gary K

Fantastic course and really mind opening. Starts off numbers heavy which in the end provides logical reasoning behind negotiations and takes us away from the go to negotiation practice of proportional division. Good quality video and content and it's enjoyable and a great learning curve to have both online face to face and email negotiations with other students around the world. I am already putting lessons into practice and had some great results.

By Marco E L

Apr 08, 2020

This course was really excellent, one of the best I took on this platform. The lessons are clear and rich in interesting notions, short stories help put the concepts into reality and make them more clear. The professor a great talker and following the lessons was easy and pleasant. Little math involved and a lot of arguments more than rhetoric devices. Also, the exercises are useful because they show different possible frames for a negotiation

By Tamar A

Mar 31, 2018

Great course with a great professor! Although some of the material requires reasonable math skills, overall all the material was easy to understand and the cases and examples made the theory uncomplicated and memorable. The knowledge and skills acquired during this course made me a lot more confident while dealing with any type of negotiation - I express my gratitude for Mr. Nalebuff for the terrific work he does done by teaching this course.

By Kunal S

Jun 02, 2020

one of the best courses available. The delivery is flawless. You are going to learn a lot of new thing the develop a great arsenal of practical tools that will come in very handy while facing a negotiation situation. Loved the cases, and can imagine the amount of thought process that must have behind making the cases so alive. You literally breathe the assigned roles and if your are honest during role plays, you would learn a lot.

By Jose G P L

Apr 23, 2020

Grandioso, Yale demuestra que es una universidad top a nivel mundial. Muchas gracias a Barry Nalebuff por compartir la experiencia del MBA de Yale SOM y por compartir a expertos como Linda Babcock y Herb Cohen. Recomiendo este curso a cualquiera que desee mejorar sus habilidades gerenciales y dar un paso adelante en su carrera.

Solo por mejorar, incluir los subtitulos en español, pero aun así, me permitió practicar el inglés

By Nischal S

Jun 05, 2020

The best course I have done on Coursera till now. Highly engaging Professor with a great way of delivering content: the Professor has used graphic illustrator(s) and role players from the Yale Dramatics School to illustrate examples, rather just simply standing and speaking into the camera all the time. The Case studies and Peer-assignments were especially interesting. I'm already recommending this course to my friends!

By Sai R R M

Apr 19, 2020

This course will help anyone, even if you have no corporate experience or negotiation experience as the concept has been explained using lots of real-life examples and case studies. The case studies, in particular, were amazing as they really get your brain pumping with everything you learn to that point. Overall, this is one of the best courses out there and you should really try taking it and giving it a chance.