Back to Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life by The University of Chicago

Learn how the nervous system produces behavior, how we use our brain every day, and how neuroscience can explain the common problems afflicting people today. We will study functional human neuroanatomy and neuronal communication, and then use this information to understand how we perceive the outside world, move our bodies voluntarily, stay alive, and play well with others....

VK

Jul 27, 2020

This course has been an eye-opener for me and has helped me to better understand the brain from a perspective of empathy towards those suffering from debilitating disorders, thanks to Professor Mason.

PM

Mar 23, 2020

This course has turned out to very profitable, especially if you are not an expert in anatomical and clinical terms as is my case. In my opinion, this course is extremely interesting, congratulations.

51 - 75 of 523 Reviews for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

By Rishika R

Oct 04, 2020

This is the first course I took on coursera and I have to say that it has been an amazing experience learning here. The videos, quizzes, assignments are very well structured. Dr Peggy Mason is a brilliant professor and her style of teaching connects students with her very well. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and learned a lot about neurobiology of our everyday life. I always wanted to study how our brain functions and I am glad I opted for this course.

By Alvaro P

Jul 24, 2018

Great course! I am an architect and I have not studied nothing related to medicine or psychology before. I became interested in the course since I want to generate a bond between architecture and neuroscience. This course has been a great introduction, and although it was demanding on certain lecture videos, overall it helped me grasp the essentials of the brain and the nervous system! Peggy was awesome all the way, making it fun, deep and accessible!

By Lyudmila F K

Oct 02, 2020

It was a great course with an excellent explanation. Many thanks to Chicago University and to the Professor Peggy Mason for making this course interesting and the topic easy to understand. I learnt a lot about brain functions and how our brain is organized from the neurological point of view and enjoyed every minute of the course. I’ll definitely recommend it to others and I’d like to do more courses like this in the future. THANK YOU!

By Danielle W

Jun 27, 2020

I was highly impressed by this course. I found everything to be extremely informative and easy to follow. Neurobiology is a difficult topic to learn, and I think Professor Mason did an incredible job of doing so. I appreciate her use of real-life examples and her passion while teaching this course. I look forward to using this knowledge in my future career with cognitive science and will definitely recommend this course in the future.

By Roman Y

Dec 25, 2019

Very detailed and elaborate course materials, interesting review exercises with above average difficulty by Coursera standards. Professor Mason taught the course topics in a very structured, clear and concise way covering many different aspects of the functioning not only of the brain itself but also of the nervous system as a whole. Definitely one of the great courses on the neurobiology which helped me learn so much.

By ANJANA K

Sep 22, 2020

First of all, I appreciate the instructor of this course, Dr. Peggy Mason for her wonderful and energetic sessions. I am a Psychology student and most of the topics covered in this course are basics in Neurobiology, but very relevant in Psychology. Especially the sessions that talked about Embedded emotions and Abstract functions were very relevant in my field and I am happy that I could learn well from this course.

By Ghadeer A

Sep 11, 2020

Although I have not personally met Professor Mason, her passion towards neurobiology and her compassionate take on its various manifestations in people have cemented her as one of my favorite professors ever. This course presents neurobiology's fundamental areas of research and highlights the most interesting facets about them in a way that makes you want to keep learning long after you have finished the course.

By Wilson R

Jul 27, 2020

Fascinante!

Dra. Mason é uma excelente professora, que sabe motivar os alunos de forma contagiante. Espero um dia conhecê-la pessoalmente. O curso foi muito bem estruturado e mesmo eu, que tenho apenas nível intermediário na língua inglesa, tive um bom entendimento.

Outro aspecto que me deixou bastante impressionado foi a maneira respeitosa e apaixonante como a Dra. Mason se referiu aos pacientes e casos citados.

By Maria M

Feb 08, 2019

The course is amazing. I want to thank professor Peggy Mason and the team that made the videos. The course is not only useful, it's incredibly interesting and moving.I especially enjoyed that we got to see the brain in all its glory. The drawings, pictures, microscope slides and, finally, seeing the actual human brain - it all contributes to a better understanding of this part of the whole inner Universe.

By Priscila B B

Feb 05, 2018

I'm really thankful to Coursera, for making this course available so that people all over the world can know more about the neurobiology of everyday life, to professor Peggy Mason, for her passion for teaching and helping people, which translate into elucidating, engaging and funny lessons, and to the classmates who reviewed my final project, for dedicating their time and attention to help a fellow coursemate.

By Jessica S

May 15, 2020

The course gives a good overview of the different aspects related to possible dysfunctions in the brain, along with the explanation of the basic mechanisms of non-altered working functions. The teaching approach of Prof. Mason is great and it helps not only to understand the possible diseases from a technical point of view but also to clearly imagine the human aspects associated to the possible disorders.

By Mikey K

Aug 03, 2020

Professor Peggy Mason is a prime example of how I wish other professors taught: she brings the course to life and makes it fun and interesting. I have never liked school, and have never had a particular interest in science, but she actually makes me not want to stop learning and watching her lectures. Kudos! I wish I had professors like her when I was in school. I learned a great amount because of her.

By Susanne D

Jul 12, 2018

I am very thankful for this interesting and entertaining course experience. I taught me a lot about the human brain and the nervous system. What I especially like about this course is that besides teaching people knowledge it also promotes awareness and compassion for people that are affected by diseases or injuries of parts of the nervous system. Thanks a lot to Professor Peggy Mason and her team :)!

By Alexandra V

Dec 28, 2019

Extraordinary. For those who like to understand how things works, there is nothing more beautiful than understanding how masterfully our brain and body work, the how's and why's of many of our experiences find an answer here. Prof. Mason's ability to convey the information and the material with such clarity allows you to understand this course even if your background is far from this field of study.

By Laurie V

Oct 06, 2020

Peggy Mason is an inspiring teacher. She teaches with passion and makes these fascinating topics really accessible. I am an Artist with a literary curriculum, and I managed to pass my exam, thanks to her permanent attention to her students with non-scientific background. I feel like I've spent these 10 weeks around a bench in her anatomy lab. So proud to be initiated to this amazing science...

By Michal L

Sep 02, 2020

It is an amazing course, I would recommend to everyone interested in getting better understanding of how our nervous system works. It is very insightful and in simple way explains complex topics of neurobiology. It allowed me to perceive our reactions, behaviors and capabilities from completely new angle. Thank you Prof. Peggy Mason for sharing this course via Coursera! You did an amazing job!

By Lorenzo P

Jun 17, 2017

I wanted a basic knowledge of the brain mechanisms to better understand perception and drug effects. I learned much more and I am so happy!

Prof Mason is a wonderful teacher that is able to make everything interesting using real-life examples and also some funny things from time to time.

I think that what I learned is going to be useful in every aspect of life, both theorical and practical.

By Roaa Q A

Jun 23, 2019

I want to really thank Dr Peggy Mason for such a wonderful course, your topics, your explanations, and your work was fascinating, Your passion was obvious as I loved all the things you've said

I took this course as a speech-language pathologist, I wanted to be specialized in the neurogenic language disorders and this course was so helpful.

Thanks Coursera for such a wonderful opportunity !

By Sue C

Jun 10, 2020

I found this course to be excellent, and mentally stimulating, explaining things that we take for granted, and showing the amazing agility and range of the brain and CNS. The lecturer is great, clear and enthusiastic, and what I have learned is applicable not only in everyday life, but relevant in my work which often involves working with those suffering various neuro issues. Thank you!

By Lingde K

Jul 26, 2017

This really is the neurobiology for everyone. English is not my native language and I have no relative academic background. But I could still understand every espect of this MOOC. Professor Mason inspired me a lot with her spirit of humanity throughout the course. Thank you for this wonderful course! I sincerely recommend this course to you guys who are interested in this magic topic.

By Arijit B

Oct 27, 2020

I am a Biotechnology student, but I am having soo much interest in Neurobiology. Because of my interest I thought to do my PhD on Neurobiology . But as a Biotech student I do not have Neuroscience in my Course.

So I thought to study this course to grow knowledge in the field of neurology. And this course is soo well explained and informative, that inspired me a lot

By Shelley J

Sep 19, 2020

I enjoyed this class very much and appreciated Dr. Mason's passion for neurobiology! I loved the way she presented the deeper concepts and bigger picture of the components of the brain, its structures and processes. There are many profound and heart-felt learning moments, as well as fun and interesting, eye--opening information as you're learning about neurobiology in everyday life!

By sarah c

Sep 13, 2020

An absolute pleasure to participate in this course. Peggy Mason is an amazing tutor who keeps you fully engaged within all contents of this course. This is the first course which i have done on neurobiology but thanks to all involved with this course it certainly wont be the last. It is fascinating absolutely fascinating. Thank you Peggy Mason for opening neurobiology up to me .

By Бажина Д В

This course is very interesting, its help understand people and yourself. Amazing teacher! She explain everything very accessible and understandable! And also with humor. This course has been very helpful to me. I studied neurobiology in my native language (Russian) at the university, I understood less than after this course! I recommend to everyone. Thanks so much for the course.

By Parisa C

Dec 20, 2019

Great course and amazing professor Peggy Mason. I recommend this course strongly even if you are just curious. Professor has both strong capability of knowledge and pedagogy + sense of humor which you would like to continue listening to her and learn along the way. I myself became more interested in neurobiology and tend to continue further education on this. Thank you!