Back to Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life by The University of Chicago

Learn how the nervous system produces behavior, how we use our brain every day, and how neuroscience can explain the common problems afflicting people today. We will study functional human neuroanatomy and neuronal communication, and then use this information to understand how we perceive the outside world, move our bodies voluntarily, stay alive, and play well with others....

VK

Jul 27, 2020

This course has been an eye-opener for me and has helped me to better understand the brain from a perspective of empathy towards those suffering from debilitating disorders, thanks to Professor Mason.

MJ

It has been, in all, a wonderful experience taking this course, Prof Peggy is really good at what she does, wonderful content, stories, instances, and videos. Learnt a lot from this course, thank you!

76 - 100 of 523 Reviews for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

By Tanaphorn M

Jun 02, 2020

I was very impressed, it was a very good course! Excellent lessons and excellent instructor. I was inspired by how Prof. Mason loves what she's teaching. It seems like she knows what she doing and really understand it. She teaches by making easy for students to understand as well. And after all the lessons are very helpful for you to understand the brain much better.

By Peter W

Aug 03, 2020

Incredible class. I learned 10 times more than I thought I would and 100 times more about neurobiology than I knew before the class. This class was for personal interest for my son who recently was diagnosed with MS. I learned so much that will be able to help me and him with this. Thank you for this class! It was so worth it. One of my favorites on Coursera.

By Moksh B

Apr 02, 2020

AMAZING Course, I'd recommend it to the world. Thank you so much Dr. Mason for teaching. One of the best teachers I know, til date! (Better than a lot of my school teachers even!). The knowledge that I got from this course was absolutely great as well. Slightly sad this is the end of the course now. Would have loved to continue talking to Dr. Mason about her work!

By Mona G

Jun 08, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. The subject matter can be quite difficult to understand but Dr. Peggy Mason does an excellent job teaching the material in a way that allows even students without a background in neurobiology to understand it. Dr. Mason keeps her lectures very interesting and engaging by giving real world examples. I highly recommend this course!

By Alonso R

Jun 01, 2017

Me encantó el curso. Soy médico de formación y me encontraba buscando maneras de mostrar temas de neurociencias a los alumnos de psicología. Es muy distinto que la formación médica y este curso me brindó esa manera brillante de acercar al alumno y crearle interés al tiempo que se aprende lo básico del contenido. Es muy bueno el curso y ampliamente recomendable.

By Inés K

Jun 30, 2020

I simply loved this course, especially Peggy Mason's way of speaking naturally, not following a script, just talking. I did a course on Neuroanatomy from DUKE University before, which was a little more technical, whereas this MOOC was more linked to everyday life, and the two courses just clicked nicely. I also found Peggy Mason on utube, so I keep learning.

By The M N

Aug 11, 2020

I want to thank professor Peggy. I was going to give up on this class. Because I have ADHD and one night I had a dream and she told me do not to give up take your time. The day when I woke up I had a new feeling and I said I am going to master this. I was so glad that she allowed us to do video it helped me out a lot. Thank you for such a great class.

By Stacey K

Oct 01, 2017

Thank you very much for the course. My understanding of brain improved a lot and also it made me more aware of how other people may perceive the world very differently from myself. I found the level of depth just enough for me to get through it without being too buried in terminology and details. The assignments were fun too. Excellent course, thank you.

By Affaf K

Aug 04, 2020

The way of delivering the lectures is so simple yet effective . The teacher is so sweet and amazing . She explains even the most difficult mechanisms in the most simple and easy way . Videos are not lengthy so student does not get fed up . It provides an excellent explanation of various disorders and anatomy of brain with the help of labs and videos .

By Poojitha S P

Dec 21, 2019

This course has been beautifully illustrated by Prof. Peggy Mason with real life examples including her cat Tula's activities that we can connect with. The enthusiasm and the passion of Prof. Mason keeps the viewers hooked and I have a deep admiration for her. My interest in Neurobiology has been piqued and I wish to work in this field in the future.

By Sandra K

Jun 11, 2020

Professor Mason is an incredible teacher. I love her way of passing knowledge and hope to have a chance to take another one of her courses. She has a way of finding beauty in knowledge and presenting it clearly and systematically (something I appreciate about professors).

No joke, I'd recommend any of her courses, she is one of the best of her kind.

By Thomas J H

Apr 05, 2017

I have taken several "neuro" courses on Coursera. This helped reviewed what I learned elsewhere and fill in some gaps. But more importantly, I think it would have been the best general introduction to start with. Friendly, accessible, and surprisingly comprehensive. Great first course in neuroscience or complementary course. Highly recommended.

By Linda L

Aug 19, 2020

Coming from having only a background in General Biology 1, I found this course so much more interesting. I can only say that I have learned so much with Professor Mason. She is an excellent teacher and gives plenty of examples for her students to understand. To finish, this course has opened my eyes to a very large field that I am interested in.

By 张月

May 02, 2017

It is my first course that finished on Coursera, and I feel lucky that I have chosen that and it raised my interest to keep learning more. Professor Mason's lecture is very vivid and easy to understand for student with little background of Neuroscience, and also full of humanity care and empathy for people who suffer from neurobiology diseases.

By Sara G

Oct 05, 2020

Me encantó este curso, hay que tener disciplina, entusiasmo y dedicación para poder alcanzar el objetivo de acabar este curso, saber mucho más sobre nosotros mismos. Felicito y agradezco a la profe Peggy Mason con dedicarse a enseñarle a personas de todo el mundo sus conocimientos, y así, poder evolucionar en la medicina de la neurobiología. :)

By Catharina C C

Jul 12, 2020

The course reinforced my career choice, I am deeply interested in this topic and I wanted to delve deeper into this knowledge and research. The course explains in an excellent way the operating mode of the brain systems, the knowledge acquired in class goes beyond simple fundamentals, helping to reflect more deeply about everyday neurobiology.

By Eduardo F D

Apr 09, 2020

This is a course that touches in some many basic concepts and yet shows the application of them, so that it broadens the understanding of the nervous system. Dr. Mason is really a remarkable professor and it was a delight to learn some many difficult subjects in a way that ease the understanding of the integrated functioning of the brain.

By Paige K

Oct 08, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this course. It is perfectly adjusted so that you can view what you want when you want and easily doable in the time given. Professor Peggy Mason clearly has a passion for what she teaches and it shows in her video lectures. I would highly recommend this course and any others by this Institution.

By Hugo B

Apr 26, 2020

Despite being a course that does not have prerequisites, it´s extremely thorough in guiding a non-medical student through neurobiology. Peggy Mason is incredibly passionate about the subject, and the subjects that have allowed the advancement of this science. It makes a big difference to have a professor fully invested in the topic.

By Deepali R

Sep 07, 2020

I absolutely loved this course! It is the first one I took on Coursera and I am so glad for it. Professor Mason's enthusiasm about neurobiology is infectious and I found myself being more absorbed into the topic. I would like to thank both Coursera and the staff at University of Chicago who made this course available easily for us.

By Rashmi S N

Mar 05, 2019

This was such an interesting course and although I am not a science student and I had to brush up my neurobiology vocabulary, I loved the course. Prof. Peggy Mason was such an engaging and wonderful instructor. The course wasn’t easy for me but I did complete it and I did read up on all the reference reads that were recommended.

By Edmund S

Dec 12, 2018

My heartfelt thanks goes out to everyone involved with this MOOC.

I learned so much form going through this material and thoroughly enjoyed my time on it every week. Thank you for making it available to myself and others, it was a fantastic introduction to neuroscience topics and Peggy Mason is a gifted instructor and teacher.

By DR R Y

Feb 27, 2020

It is very good course for develop concept and I would like to give thanks to Professor Peggy Mason for conductive a fine knowledgeable course .Thank you very much once again I will be more happy if you give me certificate written with Distinction. I also appreciate to courser for giving as platform to get knowledge globally.

By Giannina C M

Jun 30, 2020

Dr. Mason kept me engaged the entire course and made all concepts super easy to understand. I loved the small check-ins in between videos and having to apply the knowledge we learned in our quizzes and final project! 10/10 recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about how the brain is involved in every play of life!

By Donna P P

Dec 18, 2019

This is a practical, well-organized course that provides a good intro to the area of neurobiology. I have a graduate degree but it is not related to this field. I found the course to be challenging, but not overwhelming. Dr. Mason offers a strong scientific base, yet connects course content effectively to everyday life.