Back to Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life by The University of Chicago

Learn how the nervous system produces behavior, how we use our brain every day, and how neuroscience can explain the common problems afflicting people today. We will study functional human neuroanatomy and neuronal communication, and then use this information to understand how we perceive the outside world, move our bodies voluntarily, stay alive, and play well with others....

PM

Mar 22, 2020

This course has turned out to very profitable, especially if you are not an expert in anatomical and clinical terms as is my case. In my opinion, this course is extremely interesting, congratulations.

VK

Jul 26, 2020

This course has been an eye-opener for me and has helped me to better understand the brain from a perspective of empathy towards those suffering from debilitating disorders, thanks to Professor Mason.

126 - 150 of 744 Reviews for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

By Maina W

Jun 25, 2022

I would recommend this course to everybody.  I have learnt A LOT on how the human body functions. Professor Mason is a great teacher who made the lessons interesting and easy to understand by giving relatable examples.  This course has planted a seed of my wanting to gain more knowledge on neurobiology. I owe a debt of gratitude to Coursera and Professor Mason.

By Alonso R

Jun 1, 2017

Me encantó el curso. Soy médico de formación y me encontraba buscando maneras de mostrar temas de neurociencias a los alumnos de psicología. Es muy distinto que la formación médica y este curso me brindó esa manera brillante de acercar al alumno y crearle interés al tiempo que se aprende lo básico del contenido. Es muy bueno el curso y ampliamente recomendable.

By Inés K

Jun 30, 2020

I simply loved this course, especially Peggy Mason's way of speaking naturally, not following a script, just talking. I did a course on Neuroanatomy from DUKE University before, which was a little more technical, whereas this MOOC was more linked to everyday life, and the two courses just clicked nicely. I also found Peggy Mason on utube, so I keep learning.

By The M N

Aug 10, 2020

I want to thank professor Peggy. I was going to give up on this class. Because I have ADHD and one night I had a dream and she told me do not to give up take your time. The day when I woke up I had a new feeling and I said I am going to master this. I was so glad that she allowed us to do video it helped me out a lot. Thank you for such a great class.

By Stacey K

Sep 30, 2017

Thank you very much for the course. My understanding of brain improved a lot and also it made me more aware of how other people may perceive the world very differently from myself. I found the level of depth just enough for me to get through it without being too buried in terminology and details. The assignments were fun too. Excellent course, thank you.

By 05 A K

Aug 4, 2020

The way of delivering the lectures is so simple yet effective . The teacher is so sweet and amazing . She explains even the most difficult mechanisms in the most simple and easy way . Videos are not lengthy so student does not get fed up . It provides an excellent explanation of various disorders and anatomy of brain with the help of labs and videos .

By Poojitha S P

Dec 21, 2019

This course has been beautifully illustrated by Prof. Peggy Mason with real life examples including her cat Tula's activities that we can connect with. The enthusiasm and the passion of Prof. Mason keeps the viewers hooked and I have a deep admiration for her. My interest in Neurobiology has been piqued and I wish to work in this field in the future.

By Sandra K

Jun 11, 2020

Professor Mason is an incredible teacher. I love her way of passing knowledge and hope to have a chance to take another one of her courses. She has a way of finding beauty in knowledge and presenting it clearly and systematically (something I appreciate about professors).

No joke, I'd recommend any of her courses, she is one of the best of her kind.

By Thomas J H

Apr 5, 2017

I have taken several "neuro" courses on Coursera. This helped reviewed what I learned elsewhere and fill in some gaps. But more importantly, I think it would have been the best general introduction to start with. Friendly, accessible, and surprisingly comprehensive. Great first course in neuroscience or complementary course. Highly recommended.

By Linda L

Aug 18, 2020

Coming from having only a background in General Biology 1, I found this course so much more interesting. I can only say that I have learned so much with Professor Mason. She is an excellent teacher and gives plenty of examples for her students to understand. To finish, this course has opened my eyes to a very large field that I am interested in.

By 张月

May 2, 2017

It is my first course that finished on Coursera, and I feel lucky that I have chosen that and it raised my interest to keep learning more. Professor Mason's lecture is very vivid and easy to understand for student with little background of Neuroscience, and also full of humanity care and empathy for people who suffer from neurobiology diseases.

By Ben M

Nov 6, 2021

A​ beautiful, entry level course to neurobiology. While the basic functions & circuitry of the nervous system are complex - both the lectures & the Peggy, the lecturer, are concise & accessible. A willing student is able to build a logical framework from the well laid out, always relevant format. Difficult to find a more rewarding short course.

By Sara G

Oct 5, 2020

Me encantó este curso, hay que tener disciplina, entusiasmo y dedicación para poder alcanzar el objetivo de acabar este curso, saber mucho más sobre nosotros mismos. Felicito y agradezco a la profe Peggy Mason con dedicarse a enseñarle a personas de todo el mundo sus conocimientos, y así, poder evolucionar en la medicina de la neurobiología. :)

By Catharina C C

Jul 12, 2020

The course reinforced my career choice, I am deeply interested in this topic and I wanted to delve deeper into this knowledge and research. The course explains in an excellent way the operating mode of the brain systems, the knowledge acquired in class goes beyond simple fundamentals, helping to reflect more deeply about everyday neurobiology.

By Pashia b T A

Dec 30, 2021

I love the course, Peggy Mason is amazing! Her teaching is clear and concise. I highly recommend this course to anybody whom wants to have a better understanding of the human brain. I have learned and discovered so many new things beyond my thoughts in the journey. The 3 months+ was worth every minute. Thank you Peggy Mason! From Malaysia.

By Linda

Feb 11, 2021

I enjoyed Dr. Mason’s thorough and empathetic lectures. I don’t have a science background, so practical topics like those on diseases, strokes, and hot flashes were of most interest to me, as were her book recommendations. I liked the scenes if the University of Chicago campus, but found that the monotonous musical interludes got annoying.

By Eduardo F D

Apr 9, 2020

This is a course that touches in some many basic concepts and yet shows the application of them, so that it broadens the understanding of the nervous system. Dr. Mason is really a remarkable professor and it was a delight to learn some many difficult subjects in a way that ease the understanding of the integrated functioning of the brain.

By Matthew A

Feb 9, 2021

Brilliant course! Dr Peggy Mason is an exceptional teacher. Her depth of knowledge, enthusiasm and ability to communicate complex information made this course fascinating and engaging from start to finish. Thank you very much for making this course available. For anyone thinking of taking the course themself, I would highly recommend it.

By Paige K

Oct 8, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this course. It is perfectly adjusted so that you can view what you want when you want and easily doable in the time given. Professor Peggy Mason clearly has a passion for what she teaches and it shows in her video lectures. I would highly recommend this course and any others by this Institution.

By Hugo B

Apr 26, 2020

Despite being a course that does not have prerequisites, it´s extremely thorough in guiding a non-medical student through neurobiology. Peggy Mason is incredibly passionate about the subject, and the subjects that have allowed the advancement of this science. It makes a big difference to have a professor fully invested in the topic.

By Deepali R

Sep 7, 2020

I absolutely loved this course! It is the first one I took on Coursera and I am so glad for it. Professor Mason's enthusiasm about neurobiology is infectious and I found myself being more absorbed into the topic. I would like to thank both Coursera and the staff at University of Chicago who made this course available easily for us.

By Rashmi S N

Mar 4, 2019

This was such an interesting course and although I am not a science student and I had to brush up my neurobiology vocabulary, I loved the course. Prof. Peggy Mason was such an engaging and wonderful instructor. The course wasn’t easy for me but I did complete it and I did read up on all the reference reads that were recommended.

By Edmund S

Dec 12, 2018

My heartfelt thanks goes out to everyone involved with this MOOC.

I learned so much form going through this material and thoroughly enjoyed my time on it every week. Thank you for making it available to myself and others, it was a fantastic introduction to neuroscience topics and Peggy Mason is a gifted instructor and teacher.

By Dr. R Y

Feb 27, 2020

It is very good course for develop concept and I would like to give thanks to Professor Peggy Mason for conductive a fine knowledgeable course .Thank you very much once again I will be more happy if you give me certificate written with Distinction. I also appreciate to courser for giving as platform to get knowledge globally.

By Giannina C M

Jun 30, 2020

Dr. Mason kept me engaged the entire course and made all concepts super easy to understand. I loved the small check-ins in between videos and having to apply the knowledge we learned in our quizzes and final project! 10/10 recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about how the brain is involved in every play of life!