Back to From Freedom Rides to Ferguson: Narratives of Nonviolence in the American Civil Rights Movement

Learner Reviews & Feedback for From Freedom Rides to Ferguson: Narratives of Nonviolence in the American Civil Rights Movement by Emory University

The Modern Civil Rights Movement is a significant landmark in United States history. This movement was a struggle for human rights directly challenging the nation to extend its democratic principles to African Americans and all peoples. This course sheds light on the often overlooked strategic planning that supported the direction of the events and is told by a voice intimately involved in the organization of movement—Dr. Bernard LaFayette, Jr. Topics include the history of the campaigns, the different coalitions and groups, philosophy and methods of nonviolent direct action, and the contemporary application of nonviolent conflict transformation. The course hosts several guest speakers, including Andrew Young, Reverend C.T. Vivian, Henry "Hank" Thomas, and Constance Curry. Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to: ● Discuss the contributions and involvement of civil rights activists and leaders in the Civil Rights Movement (CRM) campaigns in the United States. ● Examine the chronology and phases of the Movement and CRM campaigns. ● Recognize and characterize the diverse activist groups involved in the CRM. ● Discuss Martin Luther King Jr.’s philosophy of nonviolence from a historical perspective. ● List and define the principles and strategies of nonviolence. ● Examine organizational and social change applications related to nonviolence. ● Identify the role of nonviolence in modern activism along with additional resources to broaden knowledge of principles of nonviolence. ● Recognize the application of nonviolence theories to activism, current issues, and everyday life....

CP
Nov 20, 2020

The use of interviews is very effective in this course. The content is so relevant to apply today in the U.S. socially, politically, and in business. I only wish I had learned more about this earlier.

EJ
Apr 26, 2020

This course was wonderful! I learned so much and was able to learn more in-depth o stories and events that I knew of. Dr. LaFayette is a treasure and I look forward to hopefully meeting him one day.

51 - 75 of 93 Reviews for From Freedom Rides to Ferguson: Narratives of Nonviolence in the American Civil Rights Movement

By Aloke N P

Dec 28, 2018

a must do course for every global citizen. Its not just exploring an idea but its also about exploring you as a human being and your capabilities.

By Todd P

Jun 22, 2021

This was a great course. I enjoyed hearing Mr Layfayette speak and share history . I understand my role in being instrumental for social change

By Diane N

Dec 1, 2015

Every body black white green or polka dot should take this course, learn to come together non violently thank you all for the lessons I learned

By Petisia M A

Jul 14, 2021

A​n abundance of first hand experiences and information from the individuals that actual fought the battles during the Civil Rights Movement.

By Aaron L H

Jul 17, 2020

This course was outstanding. There was a lot of information about the Civil Rights I didn't know about. The power of learning never gets old.

By Lisa K

Oct 9, 2020

Very interesting first-hand interviews. Dr. Lafayette's insights on nonviolence as a strategy and agape as a way of life were enlightening.

By Danielle C

Mar 18, 2018

Thank you for refreshing the history of a time when I witnessed so much change. I really enjoyed it.

Danielle Rawls Carr- Atlanta, Georgia

By Barbara S

Aug 25, 2020

Excellent course!!!!!!!! Thank you so much—I learned an incredible amount of information and found this course to be very transforming.

By Lisa S

Jul 9, 2017

Absolutely fascinating course - a privilege to have insights from one of the major lights of the civil rights movement

By Carolyn C

Mar 13, 2021

Love the class I am getting married to a black man and am white. I am learning his culture and how it is.

By Corinne S

May 22, 2016

One of the best and most informative classes I have taken on Coursera. I highly recommend for everyone!

By Célia C

Mar 2, 2020

Very interesting, in this course, we have al the inside view of what happened, I truly recommend.

By Valentina G M

Mar 16, 2020

I usually don't like history but the way this is told capitvated me! Thank so much

By David S T

Jun 13, 2020

Just amazing. What a fantastic course. And Dr. Lafayette is a national treasure.

By Carmen

Nov 5, 2017

Very enlightening about non-violence and how the civil rights movement worked.

By Alzbeta S

Jun 22, 2016

One of the best courses I took on Coursera. Very informative and practical.

By Gretchen A

Jul 8, 2020

Great interviews, Great Information, and thought- provoking questions.

By Felipe T

Jan 27, 2017

This is a marvelous and very inspiring course. Thank you so much!

By line k

Oct 5, 2019

This course should be seen by all of us people of the world.

By fumi o

Apr 12, 2016

This is a great course.

It is more than a history lesson.

I

By Link C

Jan 4, 2016

A great course for understanding US Civil Right history!

By lia m

Jul 10, 2021

muito conhecimento !!! gostei muito deste curso !!

By Alex R

Dec 29, 2015

Very interesting course - Thank you very much

By Anthony C C W

Nov 29, 2020

Fantastic course. I really learned a lot.

By Rachel B

Mar 17, 2017

Amazing course. Thank you for sharing!