Back to Social Norms, Social Change I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course on social norms, the rules that glue societies together. It teaches how to diagnose social norms, and how to distinguish them from other social constructs, like customs or conventions. These distinctions are crucial for effective policy interventions aimed to create new, beneficial norms or eliminate harmful ones. The course teaches how to measure social norms and the expectations that support them, and how to decide whether they cause specific behaviors. The course is a joint Penn-UNICEF project, and it includes many examples of norms that sustain behaviors like child marriage, gender violence and sanitation practices. This is Part 1 of the Social Norms, Social Change series. In these lectures, I introduce all the basic concepts and definitions, such as social expectations and conditional preferences, that help us distinguish between different types of social practices like customs, descriptive norms and social norms. Expectations and preferences can be measured, and these lectures explain how to measure them. Measurement is crucial to understanding the nature of the practice you are facing, as well as whether an intervention was or was not successful, and why. In Part 2, we will put into practice all we have learned in Part 1. New! Please use this link for a 30% discount on the recommended book that accompanies this course! https://global.oup.com/academic/product/9780190622053/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=AAFLYG6...

PE

Mar 5, 2019

This course will open your eyes to different behavioural patterns that human engage in, teach how about the suppossed mudane but important things in our society and also how to carry out a research.

JC

Aug 4, 2019

Achei o curso muito interessante e importante para entender a minha area de trabalho com certeza abso;uta irei implementar os conhecimentos adquiridos e estou pronta para entrar na 2 parte do curso

426 - 450 of 489 Reviews for Social Norms, Social Change I

By Janina G O S

Aug 17, 2017

The course was difficult but it helped broaden my horizon on how to bring about positive change. Thank you!

By Sergio A P V

Jun 24, 2020

The feedback of the exams can improve more and put more examples in the videos, thanks for all.

By Jessica M

May 4, 2020

Well presented and points made very clear. Great real world examples. Thanks Christina :)

By DUMISANI B

Apr 11, 2022

a very interesting and well paced course with a great lecturer enjoyed it throughout .

By Rwan K A

Sep 16, 2019

The most thing which helped me was the examples after every definition .. thanks a lot

By Victoria H

Apr 22, 2018

It was very interesting. I only wish I were able to highlight things in the reading.

By jimmie m

Feb 25, 2021

I enjoyed the lecturing and have learn alot that will be used in my day to day life

By Armand A O

Jul 25, 2022

donner la possibilité de télécharger des supports de cours pour mieux comprendre

By tengson p

Dec 2, 2017

Very useful course to understand about social norm and how to measure it.

By Annu K

Apr 22, 2017

It's really very useful curse. Thanks for taking me in this course.

By Roger

Jan 17, 2021

Fascinating introduction,. very good teacher. Lots to think about.

By Rinki R

Oct 14, 2019

This course is well designed and explained by Cristina Bicchieri.

By Luke G

Feb 7, 2017

Very nice and informative, and practically useful! Thanks Cristina

By Erick O

Sep 12, 2017

Great examples and well crafted methodology for online learning.

By Sanju d

Its a good initiative course. I learned a lot of social things.

By Nadya

Jan 18, 2018

Denied Certificate after successful completion of the course.

By Furqan A

Aug 15, 2017

Very god course especially for the Development practitioners.

By Sola A

May 5, 2020

Very challenging for me but took me out of my comfort zone

By Ritika S

Jun 15, 2021

The course was good but the quizzes were quite difficult.

By Christina

Sep 5, 2017

I loved it and would take another course from Cristina.

By Jennifer M

Oct 10, 2022

it was a great experience that need topping up

By Rik d G

May 21, 2017

Great course, sometimes a bit hard to follow

By Victor K B

Not very entertaining but practical to know

By Lillie K

Jun 30, 2019

the terms became quite confusing to follow

By Shady M

Jul 23, 2017

needs more tests, but it's great overall