Back to Social Norms, Social Change I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course on social norms, the rules that glue societies together. It teaches how to diagnose social norms, and how to distinguish them from other social constructs, like customs or conventions. These distinctions are crucial for effective policy interventions aimed to create new, beneficial norms or eliminate harmful ones. The course teaches how to measure social norms and the expectations that support them, and how to decide whether they cause specific behaviors. The course is a joint Penn-UNICEF project, and it includes many examples of norms that sustain behaviors like child marriage, gender violence and sanitation practices. This is Part 1 of the Social Norms, Social Change series. In these lectures, I introduce all the basic concepts and definitions, such as social expectations and conditional preferences, that help us distinguish between different types of social practices like customs, descriptive norms and social norms. Expectations and preferences can be measured, and these lectures explain how to measure them. Measurement is crucial to understanding the nature of the practice you are facing, as well as whether an intervention was or was not successful, and why. In Part 2, we will put into practice all we have learned in Part 1. New! Please use this link for a 30% discount on the recommended book that accompanies this course! https://global.oup.com/academic/product/9780190622053/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=AAFLYG6...

PE
Mar 5, 2019

This course will open your eyes to different behavioural patterns that human engage in, teach how about the suppossed mudane but important things in our society and also how to carry out a research.

JC
Aug 4, 2019

Achei o curso muito interessante e importante para entender a minha area de trabalho com certeza abso;uta irei implementar os conhecimentos adquiridos e estou pronta para entrar na 2 parte do curso

201 - 225 of 453 Reviews for Social Norms, Social Change I

By Quji B

Apr 11, 2020

Very practical and concise course. Very useful in identifying and treating various social norms.

By Oiram J B d S J

Nov 22, 2019

Excelent course to whom need critical information about how to change the society to welfare.

By DORA C

Feb 21, 2021

Mind opening! culturally educating! Brilliant....nice...well structured and highly relevant!

By Jacob A M

Sep 10, 2019

I was much interested and have learn many concepts in this course. The course very excellent

By Md. M M

Mar 11, 2020

Great lectures. Repetition made catch the previous discussions and go on to the next level.

By Basudev M

Jan 28, 2019

It's a very useful course to understand the society and various dynamics of social change.

By Serena C

Dec 29, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. It taught me a lot about things I didn't really understand.

By Tofail A

Sep 6, 2019

Excellent way of learning in collective approach with examples. I am enjoying the course.

By Marta G

May 5, 2020

Good course! I refresh a lot of my old competence and learn new things! thankyou so much

By Fabian L

Dec 9, 2019

Very interesting. The concepts are continously repeated which makes it easy to remember.

By Gabrielle D

May 27, 2017

I loved this class. As a social entrepreneur, I found it both surprising and inspiring !

By Daniel W C N

Sep 4, 2021

I​ absolutely learnt alot. Both the videos and notes are very clear and easy to follow.

By Habib H

Sep 20, 2019

Very informative to learn basic concepts of Socials Norms and Social Change theories

By Mohammad A

Nov 16, 2016

A great course indeed! Excellent lecture together with theory and on field examples!

By Alanah K

Feb 17, 2021

Engaging and experienced lecturer. Relevant and interesting case studies. Loved it

By Fabiano M

Aug 25, 2020

The course is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to applying the concepts in real.

By Takondwa K

Mar 18, 2020

The Course is very helpful and the materials very relevant and easy to understand.

By Ronnel J C

Aug 9, 2019

I have learned a lot and it will help me in formulating better interview questions

By Ajirioghene A

Dec 19, 2019

The course was very easy to follow and useful for practical delivery in the field

By Zainab M

Jun 8, 2019

This course was really great.I got so many good ideas and learnt so many things.

By Zita M

Dec 21, 2020

Very exciting theories, which I find quite revealing, too. Thank you so much!

By Kimberly N

Jan 22, 2019

Very well organized. I like how she reviews each concept and gives examples.

By Neha S R

Aug 13, 2017

I learned so much from this course! I would 10/10 recommend this to my peers!

By Sarah A

Mar 8, 2021

I really like it and it helps me to understand better the kinds of behavior.

By Aung Z M

Feb 26, 2017

very useful to implement behavioral change projects and social change issue!