Back to Social Norms, Social Change I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course on social norms, the rules that glue societies together. It teaches how to diagnose social norms, and how to distinguish them from other social constructs, like customs or conventions. These distinctions are crucial for effective policy interventions aimed to create new, beneficial norms or eliminate harmful ones. The course teaches how to measure social norms and the expectations that support them, and how to decide whether they cause specific behaviors. The course is a joint Penn-UNICEF project, and it includes many examples of norms that sustain behaviors like child marriage, gender violence and sanitation practices. This is Part 1 of the Social Norms, Social Change series. In these lectures, I introduce all the basic concepts and definitions, such as social expectations and conditional preferences, that help us distinguish between different types of social practices like customs, descriptive norms and social norms. Expectations and preferences can be measured, and these lectures explain how to measure them. Measurement is crucial to understanding the nature of the practice you are facing, as well as whether an intervention was or was not successful, and why. In Part 2, we will put into practice all we have learned in Part 1. New! Please use this link for a 30% discount on the recommended book that accompanies this course! https://global.oup.com/academic/product/9780190622053/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=AAFLYG6...

PE
Mar 5, 2019

This course will open your eyes to different behavioural patterns that human engage in, teach how about the suppossed mudane but important things in our society and also how to carry out a research.

JC
Aug 4, 2019

Achei o curso muito interessante e importante para entender a minha area de trabalho com certeza abso;uta irei implementar os conhecimentos adquiridos e estou pronta para entrar na 2 parte do curso

326 - 350 of 450 Reviews for Social Norms, Social Change I

Jul 22, 2016

great

By rubayat h

Jun 12, 2020

Good

By Izhar U

May 8, 2020

Good

By Syedhaseeb B

May 7, 2020

Good

By Peerada N

Feb 27, 2017

I don't work in social field or anything that has to do with UNICEF, but despite that, I find this course greatly interesting and what I received from it surprisingly exceeded my initial expectations. I find the knowledge from this course useful not only for social workers, but also for community-oriented researchers, or anyone who would like to understand or make a change in a community. Most of this course is an introduction to technical terms, gradually introducing us how to look at certain behaviours of people in any communities, helping us know what such behaviours are made of and how we should start in order to make a change to it. Things I find especially interesting are actually in the last week of the lecture, where the professor had introduced to me tips and tricks for measuring outcomes and making surveys that could actually get quality information - something I never knew how to do and had never expected to know and realise that it would matter so much.

As for the downside, it may be either because I am not familiar with terms in the social and humanity fields or because English is not my mother language, but I find that the professor sometimes uses words too sophisticated, when in reality I thought it would be better if she could have used simpler terms and vocabularies both in the video and the readings - sometimes I find myself becoming confused by her excess uses of fancy words and stretching something that could be briefly explained too much for my liking. Sometimes I even get to finally understand what she meant in the parts where there are examples, which is one of the things I like about the course, too.

Overall, this course was an eye opener for me. I had a very pleasant time learning and am already enrolling for the second course!

By Anjali L

Jul 16, 2017

I really enjoyed the course. It was easy to understand with so many examples and having other students' participation and reading their examples as well. Giving it 4 weeks to complete provided ample of time to complete the course however next time I will try to complete it asap because it always forced me to remember harder of what I learned last week. Plus it would be great if we could download the translated words/text of each week in a complete whole rather doing it one by one (smaller units). I tried downloading it but it did not worked for me. Thank you so much for such a lovely opportunity to learn from you. I look forward to many more to come. :)

By Joshua B

Apr 23, 2020

A quality course. I wish they spent a bit more time on the transcriptions because some of the lecturers were difficult to understand. I highly recommend keeping a notepad close and plenty of pens at the ready. When you start digging into Collective Practices, Motivations, Personal Normative Beliefs, Social Beliefs, Empirical Expectations, Normative Expectations, Customs, Factual Beliefs, and Pluralistic Ignorance it all really just start to run together. Thanks for this course Professor Bicchieri! I thoroughly enjoyed it and your book, Norms In The Wild!

By Kelli S

Oct 8, 2017

Excellent ideas with real-world examples. Repetition of concepts was a bit too frequent and made the course significantly longer than it needed to be. The last section in week 4 jumped from 5-8 minute videos to 15-18 minute videos, which felt like it was cramming things together. A slight alteration in pacing would be beneficial. The cyclical structure of idea generation and building is great, just a bit too repetitive. Quizzes mid-video really highlight main points and focus the attention. Overall, a fascinating and deeply educational course.

By Kim

Sep 1, 2020

The course offers and introduction into thecomplex field of social norms. The prof explains it well and it easy to understand. The perspectives offered by unicef are however unstructured. There is often no explicit comment on what participants should or could learn from there clips. They're also existing clips of a different purpose, so they don't directly address the topics of the course. It would be preferable to edit them or produce new short statements that directly relate to the course

By Hằng N T

Oct 29, 2021

The course is interesting but incredibly difficult to follow. If you are easily affected by Semantic Satiation (lose meaning of words that are repeated many times) then the course will be more difficult. The readings are also difficult, I found myself read and edit the texts (cut unnecessary parts, sub words with others...) in order to understand them.

Message to the organizers: if you ever organize another course, please look into semantic satiation and try to avoid it.

By Miho W

Sep 13, 2017

Well designed and informative course. It was very interesting. There are a lot of theories at the beginning, which tires you out a little, but there are also some practical courses towards the end -i wish more time was spent on the practical part to walk us through how to measure social norm. Examples were relevant, although it would be good if there was a way to further engage students in discussions. Overall, very happy with the course, and I definitely learnt a lot!

By Sofia P

Aug 10, 2019

The topic is very interesting , at least for us who find understanding humans alluring. What I also really liked and found innovative was the colaboration penn university had with ''UNICEF'', which provided videos with specialist discussing what is happening to developing countries related with the lectures of the course .

Easy to comprehend -thus suitable for beginners-, interesting and innovative ,I highly recommend it !

By Teh Y K

May 14, 2020

A lot of perceptions provided are from non-developed or near-developed countries, which can be a little difficult for those who exist in very developed countries with their own norms. So it can be hard to relate to these situations. However, they are still very well explained and it broadens up my knowledge of how those countries that are in need of better change are trying their best to become better.