Back to Social Norms, Social Change I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course on social norms, the rules that glue societies together. It teaches how to diagnose social norms, and how to distinguish them from other social constructs, like customs or conventions. These distinctions are crucial for effective policy interventions aimed to create new, beneficial norms or eliminate harmful ones. The course teaches how to measure social norms and the expectations that support them, and how to decide whether they cause specific behaviors. The course is a joint Penn-UNICEF project, and it includes many examples of norms that sustain behaviors like child marriage, gender violence and sanitation practices. This is Part 1 of the Social Norms, Social Change series. In these lectures, I introduce all the basic concepts and definitions, such as social expectations and conditional preferences, that help us distinguish between different types of social practices like customs, descriptive norms and social norms. Expectations and preferences can be measured, and these lectures explain how to measure them. Measurement is crucial to understanding the nature of the practice you are facing, as well as whether an intervention was or was not successful, and why. In Part 2, we will put into practice all we have learned in Part 1. New! Please use this link for a 30% discount on the recommended book that accompanies this course! https://global.oup.com/academic/product/9780190622053/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=AAFLYG6...

PE
Mar 5, 2019

This course will open your eyes to different behavioural patterns that human engage in, teach how about the suppossed mudane but important things in our society and also how to carry out a research.

JC
Aug 4, 2019

Achei o curso muito interessante e importante para entender a minha area de trabalho com certeza abso;uta irei implementar os conhecimentos adquiridos e estou pronta para entrar na 2 parte do curso

376 - 400 of 433 Reviews for Social Norms, Social Change I

By Kristi D

Feb 25, 2018

I learned a lot and I enjoyed the professor's demeanor and personality. I will take the next course in this series for sure.

By Nawarerk C

Feb 28, 2020

The content is quite complicated, however, the instructor makes it easier to understand. Case examples are really helpful.

By Isha J

Jul 14, 2019

The examination method could've been more rigorous and the readings were not in the right order, but great course overall!

By PRAVEEN R

Mar 26, 2020

One of the best social Psychology course available online, which allowed me to understand various norms around the world.

By Mohsin A

Dec 26, 2020

Its been a long time I have completed course on social norms, social change, well I think it's quite long but good.

By Martin E

Apr 19, 2020

This course enhanced my understanding of human motivations and behaviors including how to determine causal factor

By Kariwilliams

Jan 19, 2020

Very informative introduction into identifying and measuring social norms. Thank you for sharing this research.

By Janina G O S

Aug 17, 2017

The course was difficult but it helped broaden my horizon on how to bring about positive change. Thank you!

By Sergio A P V

Jun 24, 2020

The feedback of the exams can improve more and put more examples in the videos, thanks for all.

By Jessica M

May 4, 2020

Well presented and points made very clear. Great real world examples. Thanks Christina :)

By Rwan K A

Sep 16, 2019

The most thing which helped me was the examples after every definition .. thanks a lot

By Victoria H

Apr 22, 2018

It was very interesting. I only wish I were able to highlight things in the reading.

By jimmie m

Feb 25, 2021

I enjoyed the lecturing and have learn alot that will be used in my day to day life

By tengson p

Dec 2, 2017

Very useful course to understand about social norm and how to measure it.

By Annu K

Apr 22, 2017

It's really very useful curse. Thanks for taking me in this course.

By Roger

Jan 17, 2021

Fascinating introduction,. very good teacher. Lots to think about.

By Rinki R

Oct 14, 2019

This course is well designed and explained by Cristina Bicchieri.

By Luke G

Feb 7, 2017

Very nice and informative, and practically useful! Thanks Cristina

By Erick O

Sep 12, 2017

Great examples and well crafted methodology for online learning.

By Sanju d

Its a good initiative course. I learned a lot of social things.

By Nadya

Jan 18, 2018

Denied Certificate after successful completion of the course.

By Furqan A

Aug 15, 2017

Very god course especially for the Development practitioners.

By Sola A

May 5, 2020

Very challenging for me but took me out of my comfort zone

By Ritika S

Jun 15, 2021

The course was good but the quizzes were quite difficult.

By Christina

Sep 5, 2017

I loved it and would take another course from Cristina.