Back to Academic Listening and Note-Taking

Academic Listening and Note-Taking, University of California, Irvine

About this Course

This course will help non-native English speakers improve their listening and note-taking skills for the purpose of listening to academic lectures. You will learn techniques for improving your understanding and skills for taking more effective notes, and you will get lots of practice in using these. If you're planning to attend college classes in English, then this class is for you. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Understand and follow a lecture 2. Take better lecture notes 3. Discuss courses with classmates and professors 4. Give an effective academic presentation Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

By TA

Dec 11, 2018

It is very useful and very interesting course i learned a lot of skills from this course and these skills which i learned from this course will help me in my whole life regarding my studies

By AP

Oct 22, 2018

The course is very complete and provides valuable techniques on note-taking, it really helped me to improve my strategies when watching lectures and courses.

58 Reviews

By Juliana Vermelho Martins

Mar 12, 2019

It's my third course at Irvine. I really loved the others, this one I had some problems that I would like to share to improve the course. The first is that all assessments require 80% of good answers, but some of them have 4 questions. An error is equivalent to 25% of the grade, so it is impossible to pass this assessment with less than 100% of good answers. That would not be a problem if the questions were not so subjective at times and this was my second problem! I gave up some of the questions on two exams. I certainly did not agree with the answer I should give, but I was forced to do so. Besides, I had to watch 20 minutes of class on an unfamiliar subject and take notes. After that, I had to answer questions about unimportant details in the video. Even good notes would not contain such information. I know it's difficult to prepare a course like this and I think the method is great! My only concern is evaluation, more specifically, testing. As assessment is needed (I totally agree at this point), I think the wording and content of some questions could be reviewed.

By Nikulina Stanislava

Feb 25, 2019

It was my first course here and i'm sure it is one of the best! I strongly recommend!!!

By Mohammed Reda Ibrahim

Feb 10, 2019

very imporatnt

By Tuğşad Akgül

Feb 04, 2019

It was a great course which was quite helpful in understanding different kinds of speech patterns that varies from one teacher to another and it helped me a lot with gaining new effective note-taking skills. Thank you for the opportunity and I am looking forward for UCLA's next online course!

By JAAN

Jan 31, 2019

great xperiance

By Carol Alejandra Medina León

Jan 18, 2019

I have improve my listening skills, but I think it's necesary to have a high level of english for can learn more in this course.

By Wanqing Pan

Jan 01, 2019

This course is both useful and interesting. Thanks to some given tasks of following TED lectures, I heard different opinions from all aspects and improved my note-taking skills.

By Nattaya Piasa

Dec 13, 2018

Great course

By Tanveer Ahmed

Dec 11, 2018

By reem mohamed hatem

Nov 30, 2018

It is one of the best courses for improving the listening skill