Back to Academic Listening and Note-Taking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Academic Listening and Note-Taking by University of California, Irvine

This course will help non-native English speakers improve their listening and note-taking skills for the purpose of listening to academic lectures. You will learn techniques for improving your understanding and skills for taking more effective notes, and you will get lots of practice in using these. If you're planning to attend college classes in English, then this class is for you. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Understand and follow a lecture 2. Take better lecture notes 3. Discuss courses with classmates and professors 4. Give an effective academic presentation Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

TA

Dec 11, 2018

It is very useful and very interesting course i learned a lot of skills from this course and these skills which i learned from this course will help me in my whole life regarding my studies

Aug 11, 2017

This was a very informative course. It taught me a lot as a student and since I took it, I have improved a lot at school.

1 - 25 of 74 Reviews for Academic Listening and Note-Taking

By April

Jul 07, 2018

Excellent. It is my first lesson on cousera. I do learned a lot. Thank you for the teacher and all supporters' work

By Larissa P E

Feb 23, 2017

Very nice course with great teachers and well explained videos. It really improved my skills ! Thank you

By Juliana V M

Mar 12, 2019

It's my third course at Irvine. I really loved the others, this one I had some problems that I would like to share to improve the course. The first is that all assessments require 80% of good answers, but some of them have 4 questions. An error is equivalent to 25% of the grade, so it is impossible to pass this assessment with less than 100% of good answers. That would not be a problem if the questions were not so subjective at times and this was my second problem! I gave up some of the questions on two exams. I certainly did not agree with the answer I should give, but I was forced to do so. Besides, I had to watch 20 minutes of class on an unfamiliar subject and take notes. After that, I had to answer questions about unimportant details in the video. Even good notes would not contain such information. I know it's difficult to prepare a course like this and I think the method is great! My only concern is evaluation, more specifically, testing. As assessment is needed (I totally agree at this point), I think the wording and content of some questions could be reviewed.

By Tuğşad A

Feb 04, 2019

It was a great course which was quite helpful in understanding different kinds of speech patterns that varies from one teacher to another and it helped me a lot with gaining new effective note-taking skills. Thank you for the opportunity and I am looking forward for UCLA's next online course!

By Agnes K

Jan 23, 2017

The course was really great: the lessons are very well-organized, build up very logically and most of all, they really help by note-taking and listening. I enjoyed the content, and found the mesure of free (optional) and fix contents very well-balanced. I learned a lot outside my field of research. The skills (e.g. time management) are very useful for me (and actually for everyone). To sum up: I loved the course and I can just recommend it for everyone!!! Thank you very much again! Ágnes

By Danilo J L B

Oct 26, 2016

Definitely this course helped me to improve my listening skills which was the goal I had in mind. Of course there was some troubles for me, but I ended up having a great time listening the lectures. It's all a matter of practice and the techniques I've been taught are definitely useful for most academic lectures.

Now I believe I have a sharper hearing!

By Alice L

Jun 12, 2017

What I got is more than I expect. The most wonderful issue is I forced to listen/watch the subject I didn't familiar. That gave me a great chance to know something I never touched before. And I found interesting. Even it was difficult, when I listened again and again, somehow I could figure out something. I felt happy.

By Hyller V R

Apr 12, 2019

Not only helped me absorb the fundamental aspects of taking notes, but also explained how this process is important to increase your understanding during a lecture.

I am really glad to have had the opportunity to participate in this course.

Congratulations to everybody that helped build this course.

By Olena

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much for the opportunety to study on this course. It helps me to understand English speech. I try to listen and catch the meaning even despite speech speed.

I become more confident in speaking English. I made a part of my report on scientific conference in English.

By Fahd A

Sep 06, 2017

This course provided me with what I needed and that was to write fast enough in English when listening academic materials... and some other skills like knowing what to write and what's not... but my main goal was to write faster and I achieved it thanks to this

By Tanveer A

Dec 11, 2018

By Wanqing P

Jan 01, 2019

This course is both useful and interesting. Thanks to some given tasks of following TED lectures, I heard different opinions from all aspects and improved my note-taking skills.

By Jayeon Y

Oct 03, 2016

This course helped me a lot! Very useful and meaningful! Every week assignment made me a little bit busy and crazy, but those were also meaningful works for me!

By Aline P

Oct 22, 2018

The course is very complete and provides valuable techniques on note-taking, it really helped me to improve my strategies when watching lectures and courses.

By Sylvia S

Jun 27, 2018

I like this course, and I think it helped me a lot. I have learned efficient ways to do academic listening and note-taking. Thanks a lot.

By sandiso

Aug 11, 2017

By Aiman A

Nov 13, 2018

I'm very happy because I have completed my course successfully. I've learned a lot from this course.

By Osvaldo E P

Aug 02, 2018

This course is excellent. It´s going to help me a lot. All the hints and clues are very useful.

By Neha R B

Sep 07, 2017

thank you for providing such wonderful course and great service. looking forward to get e

By Nikulina S

Feb 25, 2019

It was my first course here and i'm sure it is one of the best! I strongly recommend!!!

By MARIAM Y T H

Nov 23, 2018

I'M VERY HAPPY BECOAISE I GET THIS COUSE , THINK YOU COURSERA , AND THINK YOU TEACHER .

By Tetiana S

Apr 01, 2018

This course is interesting and warth taking. A lot of videos and useful information!

By Johnrey L P

Aug 28, 2019

This course is a sort of knowledge refreshment and nourishment.

By ImadEddine S

Apr 20, 2018

It was a wonderful experience and I learned a lot in this course

By reem m h

Nov 30, 2018

It is one of the best courses for improving the listening skill