Back to Tools for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Tools for Data Science by IBM

What are some of the most popular data science tools, how do you use them, and what are their features? In this course, you'll learn about Jupyter Notebooks, JupyterLab, RStudio IDE, Git, GitHub, and Watson Studio. You will learn about what each tool is used for, what programming languages they can execute, their features and limitations. With the tools hosted in the cloud on Skills Network Labs, you will be able to test each tool and follow instructions to run simple code in Python, R or Scala. To end the course, you will create a final project with a Jupyter Notebook on IBM Watson Studio and demonstrate your proficiency preparing a notebook, writing Markdown, and sharing your work with your peers....

AJ
Sep 15, 2020

Absolutely Loved this course!! Challenging at times to keep up with all the terms and processes. The course provided great insight into Data Science. Would highly recommend it as your first course.

RR
Apr 24, 2019

To the contrast of other reviews, I find the content very well bifurcated and fed to the learners. The course very easily digestable and I have had a great amount of fun learning it.. Go for it!!!!

3176 - 3200 of 3,374 Reviews for Tools for Data Science

Jan 17, 2019

Too easy

By Cortney H

Jul 9, 2021

It was a lot of overview. I honestly felt like I only learned definitions and what IBM tools look like and didn't get to dive into any real projects or examples. I was very disappointed in the limited opportunities to do anything real with the hands-on projects. They were too simple, like how to create a Jupyter Notebook, or play around with nodes. When I tried to code alongside some of the instructors on the optional GitHub sections, I didn't have access to their repositories or data, so I couldn't really do anything. In other videos the programmer completely skipped over important steps as if we had used the product before, or failed to provide any context so we didn't know what the goal was - so it was just some random exercise that barely made sense and wasn't much help to me for applying it to other real world situations. I don't feel anymore prepared to use these tools, and I got a 100% on every project and exam. I was expecting a whole lot more. I hope the next courses are better and I actually get to learn how to do something worthwhile.

By Zoe B

Jun 14, 2021

There are issues with the final exam preventing people (including myself) from passing. These issues have been raised going as far back as a month without any moderator intervention (from what can be seen on the forum). Despite there being 20 moderators to this course, there appears to be just 1 active moderator and they havent responded to this issue. There is no way of contacting staff to raise this as an issue to be fixed except to raise it on the forum. In doing so, you break the Coursera Honour Code (as Ive just discovered). Im currently unable to complete this course due to this issue and Im hoping this one star review brings the matter to the attention of the staff responsible for the course.

By manisangsu b

May 9, 2021

The entire IBM watson studio is is a massive disaster in this course. Everything went fine till the watson studio came into picture, after that there is no learning , your precious time will be wasted to configure a broken system (which will not work in the end) and that has almost no relevance to what you have signed up for.

From there onwrarsds the videos and the content do not match and you will get completely derailed from your learning because someone wants you to use their product . This is not learning but almost shadow selling practice.

I was in for the entire course , but will now need to think if this is worth my time.

By Lauren J

Apr 1, 2019

I do not recommend this course; however, as it's part of the Data Science Certificate it's unavoidable. The course is basically an introduction to an IBM online software that lets you use R, Python, etc. without having to download them. That's fine, but it could realistically be done in about five minutes instead of the two hours the course takes to complete. My advice is either don't take this class if you aren't going for the Certificate, or go through it as fast as possible if you are going for the Certificate. This course was a waste of time.

By Peng Z

I hate to give this comment. Poor quality videos and study material. Not simply it misstated the fact that this is a Beginner course, there is also lack of effort in each of the videos made, making beginner very difficult to follow due to frequent switch of screens, making corrections in the video... The Reading/Lab section is also not helpful in terms of giving clear instructions. I only understood 10% of the materials from this course and learned everything else by myself on Youtube and other sources. The videos definitely need to be remade.

By Samer A

May 9, 2019

This course is a huge disappointment. It is more of a promo of IBM Watson Studio than an actual class. It would be much more useful to make a course about the Anaconda framework, which is a useful desktop framework that I believe many data scientists actually use.

The Watson Studio does not seem to be that good either. It is not exactly intuitive and it takes some getting used to before you can navigate through it. The instruction videos and pictures in the lectures do not help much since they are out of date. It is slow too.

By VALERIE B

Aug 7, 2020

Program information advises that this course is ideal for beginners with no prerequisites required. This is absolutely 'false'. Week 2 of the program is most certainly about programming, writing code, utilizing Git/Github and a video with an instructor going 90 miles an hour offering instructions on creating a new project that was totally confusing which lead to my decision to cancel my subscription of this course. Refer to Week 2 Discussion Forum for comments of other participants. Very disappointed.

By Lawrence L

Jul 17, 2019

Videos seem to be copied in from third parties. They do not have a logical progression and often overlap.

Many instances of the video showing an obsolete version of the software to the point that it is impossible to follow the instructions given, and the students must scour the forums or google to find their own solutions. This type of learning is not worth paying for.

Exercises were not educational. My only takeaway from this course was one sentence summarizing the tools given and markdown shorthand.

By Ngana A

Jun 9, 2019

Very poorly organized. I was taken straight to the video section at the beginning of this course. Unfortunately, the videos dive right into coding in Python, even though the first course in this series had never discussed Python!

Also, the quizes do a poor job of educating someone like me who is new to Data Science. Important subjects are skimmed through in a very ad hoc fashion, and then the quiz begins, but you cannot reference the notes that cover that quiz.

Overall, very poor course design.

By Raphael G

Jan 23, 2020

As an introductory course, (which it is supposed to be) this course is awful.

The videos consist of large amounts of technical jargon that are not understandable to someone who is a beginner. There is very little explanation of why or how something is being done.

Many of the instructions have not been updated for the most recent version of the tools .

There are many, many, many confused people on the message boards over the last few months, yet nothing has been done to correct it.

By SUYASH G

Mar 15, 2020

The videos are outdated for several months now. The content must've been good before, but now it is useless considering Watson Studio has been updated radically.

We're paying real non refundable money for something like this! This is not acceptable. This issue has also been raised in the discussion forums but nothing has changed.

I have been digging in the forums trying to follow the course but It is impossible to !!

I feel cheated, and so will you, if you enroll here!!

By AJ J

May 12, 2020

This certification track is complete garbage! The first course was superficial definitions of Data Science - I can look all that up on my own! The second course was very sloppy with the instructions, the screen shots did NOT match what I saw on Watson studio, when I reached out for help, the instructors response was totally unhelpful. Coursera needs to either revamp this course or cancel it! This was a huge waste of time and money!

By Sean T

Apr 30, 2020

Very poor at the moment. Week 2 Rstudio section has a downloadable map, after lots of work I did manage to do a workaround to get the zip file but then it couldn't be loaded. Equally and worse Week 3 covers Watson Studio, this has changed from Data Science Experience; the blurb says that its just a name change but thats not correct and I wasted hours trying to follow the instructions from the old layout through to the new layout.

By Mikolaj O

Sep 26, 2020

Video tutorials are outdated, based on the old interface of IBM tools. Teachers are not giving instructions how to get some of the tools like Jupyter notebook of RStudio, they don't say which libraries needs to be installed before doing exercise and finally they don't show the full code which they're running. Overall it's a presentation of IBM products and those two open source products mentioned above, with a bit of GitHub.

By Ben A I

Sep 22, 2020

This course was a big disappointment. this professional certificate is supposed to be for beginners with no prior knowledge. You keep explaining very advanced features and services like ssps modeler which I think something related to neural networks and for me as a Bonner I don't know anything about it. unfortunately this course makes a learner who is excited to learn frustrated and lost

By Sabir Ə

Jan 29, 2020

This course was awful, just a bunch of useless speeches, limited or no information about the workbenches, explaining only how to save a file or how to upload a file - maybe 5-6 times I have heard instruction about saving your work. Who does not recognise save icon nowadays? Who needs these instructions? Only coding so far lear, 1 + 1 equal to 2.... Course 2 was just a waste of time.

By Ege O

Sep 12, 2018

One big course full of clickbait and needless and useless cloud services requiring you to give out information. There is not a single thing to learn about data science in this course. I've spent the last 2 hours jumping through the hoops of the companies endorsed in the course and so far I'm getting errors left and right, preventing me from completing this course.