Back to Tools for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Tools for Data Science by IBM

What are some of the most popular data science tools, how do you use them, and what are their features? In this course, you'll learn about Jupyter Notebooks, RStudio IDE, Apache Zeppelin and Data Science Experience. You will learn about what each tool is used for, what programming languages they can execute, their features and limitations. With the tools hosted in the cloud on Cognitive Class Labs, you will be able to test each tool and follow instructions to run simple code in Python, R or Scala. To end the course, you will create a final project with a Jupyter Notebook on IBM Data Science Experience and demonstrate your proficiency preparing a notebook, writing Markdown, and sharing your work with your peers. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

AJ
Sep 15, 2020

Absolutely Loved this course!! Challenging at times to keep up with all the terms and processes. The course provided great insight into Data Science. Would highly recommend it as your first course.

RR
Apr 24, 2019

To the contrast of other reviews, I find the content very well bifurcated and fed to the learners. The course very easily digestable and I have had a great amount of fun learning it.. Go for it!!!!

2301 - 2325 of 3,080 Reviews for Tools for Data Science

By Atfy I Z

Apr 11, 2020

A good course if you are interested to go beyond merely knowing what Data Science is and try yourself on the open source tools available.

The instruction in the course, however, can be a bit confusing, particularly if you do not have computing background. That being said, with a little bit of extra effort, a newbie can still follow this course.

By Chika

Sep 23, 2019

Unfortunately, I did not have the best experience with this course. The IBM Watson Studio course content is not up to date. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to find information. Thankfully, the discussion forum helped me understand that the course content was a little outdated with regards to screenshots and nomenclature.

By Martijn M

Oct 22, 2020

A great course to learn about different tools and to try writing code for the first time. But week 2 was not so great: some of the video's explained step by step what to do, but not why or what happened exactly. Some of the video's were the same as the readings and sometimes the order in which the metarial was presented puzzled me a bit.

By Rohaan N

Aug 5, 2020

A few instructions need to work on their communication skills and videos from week 2 have don't have a linear information flow. Plus, week 2 the instructors tend to jump into the middle of things which leaves the student confused.

All the other instructors and amazing and this course is a really good intro to many of IBM Watson tools :)

By Venkatesh S

Sep 15, 2019

This one is basically IBM peddling its wares! But I guess if you don't already know how to use Jupyter notebooks, this can be a good place to start. I won't recommend paying exclusively for this course! But if you are taking this to get the IBM Professional certificate, then just go through it quickly with the videos at 2x speed.

By Aurelio A I

Dec 23, 2019

The videos are not updated. I know the people in the texts say so but it was very difficult to me to follow one of them. Due to this, I realize how bad is Coursera's help and support and forum management since I had to find my way out to finish the course. This is a complaint on the platform, not on the course. The course is OK.

By Aravind B R

May 28, 2019

The instructions on IBM Watson studio aren't very good, given that the tool has changed. Spent over an hour trying to create a new Jupyter Notebook. During the storage selection, after clicking 'Add', you need to pick existing and not Create New. Then select the storage, go back and click 'Refresh' on the Notebook creation page.

By Olivia V

Nov 24, 2020

Rather uneven. Some parts are explained step-by-step, some are vaguely glossed over. Several times, course material is mentioned, either in the labs or (worse) in the quizzes, that hasn't been seen yet. Some technical problems with Watson Studio have yet to be solved. Overall, the tools are presented without useful context.

By Stefan G

Jul 31, 2020

About half of the lessons are useless, as the lecturer jumps into topics that never came up before and starts coding stuff, without any explanation. He seems to be a good data scientist, but lecturing people is not his thing. There are hundreds of complaints in the forum about these lessons, but nothing was updated so far.

By Allison E

Apr 19, 2019

Links and screenshots are badly in need of being updated. I had to find my owns way to sign up for IBM Watson, and it still took over 24 hrs for me to get my login verified. Then when you are finally signed up, the video tutorial isn't relevant because it's not the latest version of IBM Watson Studio being discussed.

By Sebastian F

Aug 11, 2020

Die ganzen IBM speziellen Tools halte ich für unnötig. Es hat ein bisschen den Eindruck der Werbung für die IBM Produkte. Wer wirklich Interesse an den Produkten hat, der wird sich von selbst darüber informieren. In diesem Kurs sind die Videos uninteressant.

Der erste Teil des Kurses mit Python und R ist gut gemacht.

By Rishika S

May 24, 2019

The course was good although I felt that some elements which were difficult to grasp could have been elaborated more. Also, the videos are I assume old, so the actual site which is now IBM Watson has completely changed, so it became difficult initially to get to it. But, it got great when the actual work started.

By Rui Y

Oct 12, 2020

The general introduction could be useful for beginner who is new into the tech industry. I would recommend to look at the sections first before start. If you know them already, please skip as it doesn't not provide anything new. In addition, why do I have to pay subscription fee to watch IBM training videos?

By Alexandru F

Jul 23, 2019

Decent overview of the open source tools used in Watson Studio. I would have liked a more hands-on approach, but considering that this course comes after the "What is Data Science?" introductory course, it fits the purpose of broadly understanding what Jupyter Notebooks, Zeppelin Notebooks and RStudio is.

By Joaquin G R

Feb 8, 2019

I changed my mind. This course is not so bad. I don't rate it 4-5 because I don't like the fact that the interface in IBM Watson Studio is not the same as the current one which makes it a little bit confusing and because some of the videos have audio issues and introduce some concepts without explantion.

By jayanta a

Oct 23, 2020

In this one, I am giving a 3 star, not because of the course content. But because of the way it is delivered.

Without a proper introduction to various things such as Git or GitHub, codes are thrown at the screen suddenly. And it is confusing. Though a proper reading material comes at a much later stage.

By Rebecca A R

Mar 4, 2020

Instructions are not very clear at all and almost impossible to follow. Things took a lot longer than they should have just to get to where you needed to be. The work required was not difficult, but the lack of instructions on how to navigate and get where you needed to be was extremely frustrating.

By Michael L

Aug 22, 2020

Week 2 was not very well produced. The IBM produced videos were very well done. Had to do some self-service poling around to get information that should have been presented in the course work. Each time I visit the IBM Watson studio it is a new exploration to get started on assignments/projects.

By Caroline V j a

Jul 2, 2020

The tools are at a very very high level and covers so much on machine learning. A beginner needs to learn about the basics of Data science before taking up a course on the tools. Otherwise it will not be of much use. It covers lots of machine learning terms which a beginner might not aware of.

By Bard W F

Mar 18, 2020

Course has a lot of information which is outdated from the tools. This should be updated at least by a text file. Also note that the test tool does not work with a computer running linux which also should be informed.

Else the topic was great and the course was really interesting and compelling.

By Katlego M

Aug 18, 2020

The videos have no sense of continuity. There is also a section where the video lecturer who is showing us how to use jupyter notebooks is rushing through the tutorial and even gives a video lecture from his car. Not as professional as I would like or expect for something of Coursera's calibre

By Lukas L

Dec 9, 2020

Some videos were unclear. For example, the one where teacher were sitting in the car. I could feel that he was in a rush at the moment, and has to make a course at the same time. In some other videos repeated the same problem - speech was unclear and not all things were properly explained.

By Diego L

Apr 2, 2020

I got some problems with R Studio with https://labs.cognitiveclass.ai/ it stops several times so I decided to use the IDE with IBM cloud. The lesson was a little bit too much easy for me and a little bit boring maybe next time next time the course could use only tools present in IBM cloud.

By Clayton S

Feb 2, 2019

Very IBM centric but I guess you get that on an IBM course. However I was getting a few problems with some IBM sites until I upgraded my account (time outs/ errors etc) so I would suggest doing that using the free coupon - I think this issue is more prevalent in places outside the USA?

By Thinh N

Oct 2, 2018

At the end of the course, what you need to remember is that "we have a very useful platform for data science that is IBM Watson Studio". However, because it is an enterprise software, its price is very high. So you should end up using something else or be restricted in its Lite version.