Back to International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

Learner Reviews & Feedback for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior by Università Bocconi

Leaders in business and non-profit organizations increasingly work across national borders and in multi-cultural environments. You may work regularly with customers or suppliers abroad, or be part of a globally dispersed cross-functional team, or an expatriate manager on an international assignment. You may be a member of a global online community, or a development aid worker collaborating with an international network of partner organizations. In all of these contexts, your effectiveness as a leader depends on how well you understand and are able to manage individual and collective behaviors in an intercultural context. In this course – together with a team of Bocconi expert faculty and Bocconi alumni – we’ll explore the theory and practice of international and intercultural leadership and organizational behavior. Social science research has revealed systematic ways in which our behavior differs across cultural contexts – enabling us to more effectively work across borders. Insights from psychology, neuroscience, sociology and anthropology, from communication studies and from management scholarship allow us to understand what shapes individual and group decision making, what enhances or weakens team performance, and how we can build and use our social networks. And the shared practical experience of international leaders allows us to identify concrete steps to enhancing intercultural leadership competence, and to be cognizant of common leadership challenges. Learning about organizational behavior provides a great opportunity to develop your leadership skills and to reflect on your own behavioral tendencies. How do you usually make important decisions? What motivates you and how do you try motivating others? How successfully do you leverage and integrate diverse skills and views in a team? Do you prefer professional relationships with a close-knit group of trusted colleagues, or with a far-flung network of acquaintances from all walks of life? If you really want to learn how organizations behave and take decisions and at the same time develop leadership skills, then this is the course for you. We are looking forward to welcoming you and supporting you on this journey of learning and discovery. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1 - Leadership Acumen. International perspective on leadership, common traps & challenges, and opportunities of intercultural leadership. Week 2 - Navigating Culture. Impact of cultural differences on organizations, decoding culture, culture classifications and stereotyping, developing intercultural intelligence. Week 3 - Communication. Communication and its impact on leadership identity and relationships, managing communication to improve decision making, steps for developing your intercultural communication skills. Week 4 - Motivation. Views on individual motivation, cultural differences in motivation, developing motivation and commitment in teams. Week 5 - Networking. Patterns of interpersonal relationships in/across organizations, strategically developing social networks and social capital, norms for networking across cultures. Week 6 - Conflict. Effective / defective conflict management approaches, dealing with ethical dilemmas. Thanks to the participation of our alumni and of the Bocconi Alumni Association, participants will have practical insights on international leadership. RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND All are welcome! Some prior exposure to basic issues of organizational behavior (communication, decision making, motivation, etc.) is useful, but not required....

AY

Jan 07, 2017

I completed this course while working abroad and I loved it. The course helped be to have a better understanding and respect for different cultures in life and in the work environment.\n\nThank You!

GC

Aug 13, 2018

Very interesting course. Alumni viewpoints, pop-up questions, and interactive dialogues all made the course more engaging. Each video was a good length for informational content and attentiveness.

76 - 100 of 478 Reviews for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

By manj g

Oct 01, 2020

Exhaustive coverage of International cultural standards and its application. Host Communication, presentation of facts, slides, key pointers are high standard. I recommend this to my friends too.

a strong network covering different countries perspective and applicability

By Priyanka K

Jul 08, 2020

I would like to pay my gratitude to both the coursera team and University of Bocconi (Franz Wohlgezogen) for providing me an opportunity to learn and widen my horizon of knowledge. It was a great learning experience and I completed the whole course in a matter of 10 days.

By Jonathan P

Dec 15, 2015

Excellent content that can be used daily in an international organization. The course allowed me to improve my negotiation skills and manage different points of view using the technical concepts offered by the International Leadership and Organizational Behavior class.

By Chelsea S

Jul 08, 2016

This course provides such a different perspective on the types of relationships we foster. I really do appreciate the interactive way in which the lecturer conveyed his material. I would definitely recommend this course to everyone whose willing to get out of the box!

By Maja G

Jul 22, 2020

the course is very informative and interactive. It show leadership from multiple standpoints and and offer variety of materials: including ted talks or application of theories in the practical cases. The way lecturer talks is very approachable and easy to comprehend.

By Brian C

Oct 24, 2020

Very clear explanations and the case studies really demonstrated how much of the concepts and theories can be and are put into practice. The instructor is also very engaging to listen to, and the visuals helped highlight key points and concepts in the lectures.

By TRINH T M C

Jun 27, 2020

Thanks so much for this interesting and useful course. I learned alot from the course. There are many things that I did not aware of. I hope that I can use these knowledge in my daily life to improve my relationship and leadership performance. Thanks again.

By Vinit M

Jun 06, 2020

Thanks to my teacher. It was wonderful experience to learn about leadership and organizational behavior. Everything was perfect the content, the way sir explained the topics. Once again thank you Sir. In Hindi I would like to show my respect "Pranam Sir"

By Kristina D

Aug 18, 2020

The complex subject was approached by the skilled and knowledgeable instructor in a respectable fashion. The organization of the material made it easy to apply to daily communications, and to build upon the skills from one week to the next. Well done!

By Hikmat G

Dec 09, 2016

I really liked this course . Course is full of information and their practice,so it is beneficial . However, teacher speaks a little bit fast and i think this case is root of his nationality :) Anyway it is not a big problem.

Thanks for everything!

By Dr S K K

When I join this course not thinking it would give more internal inlighment. This course is desined very nicely. Special thanks to Prof Franz Wohlgezogen who has teach me through this course. Thank you aother guests whose participated in discussion.

By Francesco A

Jan 20, 2016

I found this course very interesting, a good teach that keeps your attention along all the videos, with a lot of external material (papers, videos, web page) useful to improve your knowledge. Thanks to all the people that have worked on this course.

By Selin K

Oct 11, 2016

One of the best courses I had in Coursera: realistic, smart, sourceful. Especially appreciated Mr. Wohlgezogen not reading from a screen like a robot as most online courses' instructors do. Great tips for professional life. Strongly recommended :)

By Giada C

Jun 07, 2020

Very interesting course which delves into the main issues related to international leadership providing a wide range of techniques, strategies, and examples to strenghten leadership attitude. I found it easy to follow, compelling and empowering!

By Pablo T

May 16, 2020

Exceptional teaching approach by prof. Wohlgezogen. I especially liked the real-life examples, talks with Bocconi alumni and students as well as the pop-up key information. I'm taking away a great deal of knowledge on International Leadership!

By rolf s

Jan 14, 2020

As retired Hotel Director having workrd in several countries , various cultures and different continents, I ralated well to the lectureres. I brought back a lot of experiences and definitivelly increased my knowledge and enriched my experience

By khalidussaincy@gmail.com

Nov 06, 2015

This course precise the whole leadershıp knowledge to finalize at a point that '' how an affective leader should be'' this course can proof an excellent guidance for those who are new and also for those already practicing in leadership career.

By Karina A F

Aug 26, 2019

I loved the course, the professor has a very clear way to make himself clear about every aspect of leadership. I'm grateful with him because each video was super well prepared. I learned a lot and I know this is going to help me in my career.

By leonardo m s f

May 30, 2018

The content was fantastic. The way that the professor conduct the course was very didactic. All the scenarios and examples were very useful and for sure made great insights in order to follow this hard theme that is International Leadership.

By Jose R M G

Jul 14, 2020

Excelente forma de aprender, gracias a todos los que estan detras de Coursera, gran herramienta para todos los que no podemos estar presencialmente haciendolos. INTERNATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND ORAGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR el primero de muchos.

By Pramod K S

Nov 15, 2019

This is really good course I ever learned. Because in this course I got more knowledge about Industry & Culture. I learned how culture affects our communications etc. thank you for given me this opportunity to take this course.

By VIDYARAJ V S

Jul 07, 2020

This is an excellent concise course for International Leadership, gives you a detailed perspective of some very valuable tools to approach other leaders and or people that you may be dealing with on an International platform.

By Mónica M C

Mar 04, 2020

Even when I work as a leader and with leadership development for many years, I have learnt a lot during this course. Many insights and models that can lead to very interesting discussions. Thanks a lot for sharing! Great job!

By Nandini B

Aug 03, 2020

This was a very enriching course. I can trace the set of skills and thoughts that I've developed through this course. It has been very efficiently taught and the learning is just effortless, thanks to the course coordinator.

By Daniela B

May 28, 2016

I found this course very informative, insightful and well organized; very useful also for people having "some" years of work experience to whom may open new perspectives.

Congratulation to the professor for an excellent work.