Back to Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

JB
Dec 27, 2020

This course was very informative and challenging. I really appreciate the way the course was put together. It would be ore helpful if the links to the readings were from material other than Wikipedia.

MD
May 23, 2020

A wonderful course of prevention that I learned a lot from,\n\nUsing commands with Windows and Linux\n\nHow to deploy and install operating systems through the network and Alot\n\nThanks GOOOOOOOOOGLE

3326 - 3350 of 3,663 Reviews for Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

By Alix M

Feb 7, 2019

Enjoying this course, but it is badly let down by the graded assignments. None of the Qwiklabs work very well at all. You can see from the forums that so many people have the same issues over and over again but nothing appears to be done about it. It tells you you've failed, even though you know you had 100% and if you close Coursera down and log back in, it's changed to a pass. It causes untold grief.

By Patrick C

Jun 2, 2020

The instructor goes way too fast. Tell us when you are including a space, a forward slash vs. a backslash. Too many times a command is typed in before we can even grasp it. Slow it down, because the only way for us to get this material is to continuously stop the video and take notes. The opinion from the instructor is "if you don't get it you can watch it again." That seems rather cavalier.

By Mario A

Mar 31, 2019

The entire course is great, except for the Lab in Week 6. The concept was a great one, allowing the user to figure out how to solve the problems, however, the testing method with the qwiklabs didn't seem to work like they should. The qwiklab support was great, they answered my emails immediately and I appreciated that. Overall, the course was above average, but the last lab was frustrating.

By Frederick C

Dec 21, 2020

While it was great to learn, there needs some more interactive real world simulated practice. it was hard to follow Cindy when only she had the windows and linux that actually showed what was happening. I would have had an easier time if I had some sort of VM I could download to follow what she was doing. I still have two courses left so my mind remains open to the total experience

By Chris M

Jun 12, 2020

This one seemed to skip a bit of important details at times (like exactly what was being typed on the screen and why). Also, the resolution did not always allow one to see clearly the commands being typed and the transcript was not always accurate. Ms. Quach occasionally typed something that she didn't say aloud so you couldn't see it on the screen or read it in the transcript.

By Jason B

Sep 16, 2019

Though I did learn quite a bit about command lines in PowerShell and Bash. I wish the presentation of the videos was a lot better. I would recommend placing greater focus on the commamd line interface than the instructor, and to display it a greater resolution. I would also like to see a greater emphasis on explaining the details and functions of the command lines as well.

By Earl N W J

Dec 2, 2020

I had a problem with trying to understand the update VLC part of the lab. I'm not real happy about that an will probably go back to review the material regarding updating. Is it that I was suppose to install the VLC in both the Windows and Linux labs, this was unclear. I really need some help in understanding what I should have done to complete that part of the lab.

By Antony J

Aug 17, 2020

I've done a few Google courses and this one seemed to have the most problematic labs. Perhaps it's something to do with having so many subscribers, but --- rightly or wrongly --- the bad experiences tend to be the ones you remember the most. I also felt that this course was over-reliant on the message "we won't cover it, but take a look at the attached reading".

By Rocklyn K

Oct 16, 2021

This is by far the most confusing model so far. I couldn't follow the instruction properly and had to use multiple resources to get this done. Also, for new learners who are actually serious about figuring this out on their own, the quota has to go or reset after 24 hours because we need to actually learn by practicing and making mistakes on qwiklab. Thank you

By Jason B

Feb 27, 2019

I only gave it 3 stars because the content was not that interesting to me (I preferred the networking course, and am looking forward to the security one). It was also 3 stars because of all the trouble and time wasted with Qwiklabs not working properly. They need to scrap that platform and start over. I would have been done with this course a long time ago.

By Jeffery F

Apr 17, 2021

This has a lot of information to soak up and I would of given it more stars if there weren't so many issues with the labs. I was constantly having to find work arounds and try to fix things on my own just so that I could take the labs and pass them. Paying for a course should not make you do this things should work how they are intended to work.

By ANTON C

Dec 27, 2019

Final exam on Windows need to be fixed. Because last task does not have enough information to perform it. Mean "Fix permissions" need to be done for specific file \ folder and there also lots of permissions to change. What exact task, I do not know?! Need to be magician to guess... (

Linux final exam has enough info. and I passed it on 100%.

By Tomas L

Oct 17, 2018

Sometimes brushed over details for command line parameters and arguments. The Qwiklabs wasted a lot of time due to glitches and errors because they had to be completed yet sometimes lacked required content or wouldn't load. The lecture videos were sometimes awkward/unnatural but did get across the point and provided good content.

By Angel L

Mar 13, 2018

I'm not sure how much I actually learned in this course and the labs were INCREDIBLY buggy. I think other future users would appreciate more consideration being put into the labs and testing into them prior to distribution. Additionally, I think having the videos mask the true lab experience would be helpful.

By Matthew P

Jul 12, 2021

There is a lot of information that doesn't get looked at in detail enough. For becoming a power user, I did not feel I was in the PowerShell enough to feel even remotely comfortable with it. I jet feel there could be a few more assignments that go into PowerShell so we get a more structured feel of it.

By Stephen P

Jul 17, 2021

As with the Networking course, there is a LOT of technical jargon and very little time to actually use/practice what is being taught. Need more hands-on lessons to make this a better course, otherwise I feel like I'm just memorizing terms and definitions, and likely won't retain much of anything.

By Anthony D

Nov 10, 2020

to much talking not enough hands on .. Doesnt explain enough about the commands , says them once and hopes you remember them. This type of course needs to make you enter the commands a lot more to have them stick with you instead they briefly talk about them once and expect you to remember them .

By Maria M L

Apr 11, 2018

Other than issues with the labs the course was informative. I believe if the lab content got better later on in the course yet the labs all had the same issue. Would sometimes have to redo them in order for work to get graded by the system. It's the boat anchor of this series of courses so far.

By John K

Jul 7, 2020

Have discussed at length with customer support regarding the final two labs for week 6. These seemed embarrassed at the situation and were as helpful as can be but the developers failed to thoroughly test and validate that the instructions (when there were any instructions) actually worked.

By Joe S

Apr 15, 2020

I feel instruction was lacking regarding methods for updating programs for both Windows and Linux. For this reason, I was unable to fully complete the final labs. Additionally, the labs state there is a support tab, which I also could not find, in order to get support for these labs.

By Robert B

Mar 5, 2018

I'm sure it was previously discussed, but I found it confusing to constantly bounce between windows and linux procedures. I believe it would have been much easier to focus on Windows, work through the entire curriculum, then, once completed, focus on Linux through the same curriculum.

By Sarah H

Jul 1, 2021

I will say that I did learn things that I did not know before. So thats a plus. Cindy is a good teacher, but overall it is not as i expected. I guess I expected more since I paid for the course, but what do I expect for 50usd per month which is way cheaper than college education?

By hidenori n

Oct 19, 2020

I would appreciated more if the course can explain more in the video rather than let the reading material lead the course. Also, the it would be greater if they can explain the matter with the slide up longer rather than the instructors' face while they are explaining. Thank yoU!

By Jp T

Apr 19, 2019

Could really use a lot more interactive, hands-on modules throughout the course so that the student can get a real grasp on the concepts and execution of the material. I would highly recommend more labs, preferably one or two immediately following each lecture on new material.

By Muhamad A P M C

Mar 16, 2021

All went fine on Linux. But I had a bit problem when completing assessment in Windows VM, especially on course 3 week 6 "updating vlc". The score didn't increase after I updated VLC for many times.

Just suggestion, maybe you can make windows assessment to be optional.

Thanks