Back to Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

MA
May 23, 2020

A wonderful course of prevention that I learned a lot from,\n\nUsing commands with Windows and Linux\n\nHow to deploy and install operating systems through the network and Alot\n\nThanks GOOOOOOOOOGLE

JA
Jun 21, 2019

Great course, lots of very challenging and useful information. You'll learn about Linux and some of the inner workings of Windows, plus lots of tools and programs that are really useful. Great course!

76 - 100 of 3,281 Reviews for Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

By Taylor B

Oct 7, 2019

This course materiel is very technical. Do not fall in to the trap of fooling yourself into believing any of these concepts are going to be quickly mastered just because you are able to grasp initial concepts. Coursera, Google, our Proctors have all done a great job of relaying these concepts and fundamentals in a way that is easy to grasp and easy to understand, that mistakenly gets translated into thinking that mastering these concepts will be simple, or an easy undertaking. That will not prove true for most of us. Most of us are going to have to dedicate time toward practicing these fundamentals, working with them, memorizing them via submersion. The more I learn about this, the more I realize how little I know.

By Michael B

Sep 12, 2020

There was a lot of information to learn, especially with using the Command Line interfaces. It was hard to know what i needed to memorize, what to prioritize, and what to just get a brief understanding of. There was a demonstration of a mock job interview, and after watching, I left feeling EXTREMELY unprepared for anything like that. I understand that I still have much to learn, but perhaps that should have been made much more clear prior to the demonstration, because I can only assume that I should not be able to do an interview like that, with the information I currently have from the course. Other than that, the course was great and taught a lot of great information in an easy to use format.

By Gijs O

Mar 24, 2021

Many thanks to the teachers, who explained key principles in a clear and accessible way. I appreciated their knowledge, experience, enthusiasm, and encouragement. Thanks to Coursera for providing this user-friendly learning platform. Via regular assessments, I could apply principles I had learned and consolidate my understanding. Help Center staff responded to queries promptly and were friendly and supportive. The knowledge I gained from these courses has boosted my confidence and will serve as a foundation for further reading and practice. I would not hesitate to recommend this certificate programme to anyone wanting to develop their IT and IT support knowledge.

By Julisa S

Jul 4, 2020

I am literally in tears. I never imagined that I had what it takes to learn things as I have been. I am not a techy computer 'nerd'. But I am becoming more and more fascinated by discovering what is possible in this realm. I am so proud of myself for making this far. All the jargon with commands can be discouraging. But you can't give up, especially after you overcome it. You have to see it through. I still feel like I could learn a lot more just by reviewing the material I have already covered, however, my attitude has changed towards technology and I have noticed my ability to troubleshoot is improving. I am so happy and satisfied right now.

By Steven C

Oct 8, 2018

Brilliant! Even seasoned IT Pros will take a little something from this course. I love learning and have been in IT for years now. I wish we had a course like this when I first started. I have picked up some awesome tips. I would recommend the full IT Support Course to anyone looking to learn more about IT Support.

If you are completely new to the world of IT support. I recommend taking your time and making notes, this will help you with the graded assessments at the end of the course. Also, be patient with the labs. They are an excellent way to give you hands on experience and you do get ample time to complete the tasks :)

By Sonya L

Mar 17, 2021

This is a tough course, densely packed with information and resources that I will take with me into a new career. It is challenging, helpful, and interesting from different perspectives. The extra material encouraged me to read and to learn about different IT areas. I like that early on, Google emphasizes that different people, with different backgrounds and interests are all successful Google IT people. They do not have a stereotype employee but diversity. Also, I was really surprised they talked and showed examples of tech interviews. I've always loved IT, but never pursued it beyond a hobby, until now.

By Dylan P

May 6, 2021

I think this might be the best of the five Google IT courses.

I found that the concepts were broken down and discussed well, there were numerous practice quizzes to test understanding, and the labs helped to see the theory in action. This was a challenging course though it was always the content that was challenging and not the way the course was designed. By the end, I had developed a better understanding of operating systems, especially Linux.

Overall, I would highly recommend this course as a core part of the Google IT certificate, or even as a stand alone course.

By Frankie J

Aug 23, 2020

Overall, this was a great course that contained a lot of useful information that I'm sure will be useful in all aspects of computer use. My biggest criticism is that it was hard to follow along and do the programming at the same time as the instructor because she had pre-saved certain things for each example. It would be good if the classes provided some directory information for how to get set up to work along with teachers using CLI/Bash examples prior to even moving beyond the class intro. Apart from that, I loved this teacher's teaching style.

By Brian J S

Feb 23, 2021

This was a truly awesome course packed full of great information! This course had a great pace, covered many topics but also dove deeper into technical areas that I didn't expect to see. Awesome host and production and the graded assessments were fun and challenging. This course introduced me to the powerful world of using command line tools, featuring many examples in Powershell and Linux BASH. Highly recommend this class for computer enthusiasts looking for a smooth, but detailed overview of the modern Windows and Linux operating systems. 5 stars!

By Ahmed I

Jun 17, 2020

Ohhooo! the course journey was amazing. I learn so many interesting deep things about OS's. I learned so many powerful things like Power Shell & Bash command, about user & groups, permissions, software & package management, file system types, process management, remote access, virtualization and the very most interesting & super helpful logs.

In week 6 lab I was most struggle for submit assignments, i tried 4 times to pass the assignment. I must complete next tow courses in IT Support Professional Certification. Thanks!

By Kyle M

Mar 20, 2020

I enjoyed the review. As someone who has experience, this is helpful to get hands on experience while looking for a new job. I can't give myself the experience of providing remote support by myself, so this course was very useful. I look forward to the next course.

Three things that I missed while studying this course are: the Powershell ISE; the object oriented features of Powershell, and; BASH scripts. I am not complaining, but I wanted to mention that both of these fit into the subject material of the course.

By Andria

Jun 30, 2020

Good material and well presented. Runs through everything quick enough you don't get bored or lose interest but not so fast you can't keep up. I enjoyed learning some new commands and a bit more in depth on some I was already using. My only nitpick (and its a very small one) would be that there is a bit of time wasted in having the instructors talk about what they are going to talk about...seems kind of redundant but the time sent on it is minimal so not really an issue that impacts learning the material.

By LaGayla B

Mar 12, 2020

Hello there,

I can not say, "Thank you!" enough. Taking this course is so rejuvenating. I am a first generation University graduate that worked very hard to put myself through school clear to completion and yet my career has been a very challenging one. Due to this, the cost of completing the University degree has caused great concern at times. Taking steps to complete this course gives me such hope and preparation for a more stable career future. Very grateful for the course.

~ LaGayla ~

By Amie H

Apr 21, 2020

I loved this class. I'm excited to use what I've learned and even though I have completed the course I still review my notes and the videos. When I get stuck or cant remember exactly what to do, I can review the video(s). Qwiklab could be tricky, mostly because I would shrink the instance so I could read the instructions again, and occasionally pull up my PowerShell rather than the one in the VM. Overall, it was a great experience that I enjoyed. I look forwared to using my new Power User skills.

By Willie E T

Apr 23, 2020

wow, i never thought i was going to finish this course. there were some areas that were kicking my rear end but eventually overcame the situation. very informative and instructive program. i wonder how can we memorize all those commands? there is a lot in these trainings that if i don't practice i think might forget some of these lessons. i guess i need to keep reviewn videos and reading until i find a job in which i can actually put all i've learned into practice. Good luck for the new students.

By Jovial P T

Feb 27, 2019

Awesome course which will make you a power user of windows and linux operating systems. Thanks Cindy Quach for a great lecturing. I decided to 4 star because, I had issue with the last lab of windows "Use Logs to Help You Track Down an Issue in Windows ". But they cleared it within a day. If anybody having issue with that lab just remember that we learned during these courses(***contact for support LOL***), qwiklabs and coursera have good IT support team. So share your problem with them.

By Miguel A D

Jun 27, 2020

A really enriching experience. Great exposure to the main OS's and troubleshooting techniques as well as tools needed to start a support career. The labs are amazing as far as putting in motion all the knowledge acquired throughout the course. The instructor was very knowledgeable and was explaining the concepts in a very simple manner. She was fun too! Thanks, Cindy, and thanks to Google for making available such a great course. And of course thanks to Coursera for making it available!

By Harish A

Sep 26, 2020

A great course to get started working with powershell, commandline for windows and terminal(linux), understanding fundamentals of users, permissions, packages, disk partitions, and remote computer access. Cindy is an excellent instructor and her teaching is very beginner friendly. There are a lot of resources to supplement the learning for this course which would help someone get more experienced in the field. Thanks to Google, Cindy and other instructors for offering this course.

By MD F S

Jun 13, 2018

Cindy Quach (Site Reliability Enginner in Google) is a really good teacher and she has made the lecture and lecture-contents very easy.Before this course I have never used Linux operating system or windows command line or Powershell in windows. It is a great experience.Now I am more confident about using command line Microsoft and Linux operating system although I know I have to learn a lot and practice a lot continuously to become an excellent and professional IT specialist.

By Christina J B

Oct 25, 2020

The Course was excellent. I have learned so much about Directories users administrators and groups, Packages and Dependencies, File Systems Types, Managing Process and remote Access. All these topics has given me an incites on how to work effectively with the Operating System.

By Charito T N

Apr 13, 2020

This course should stay here on coursera, I have to finished it but I have to review all of them. I learned a lot, I'm trying to download all of them. But it's too late. I have to start over from the 1st course to download the videos. So far so good, just need patience and more practice. Thank you! to all instructors! all coursera workers. Looking for more to learn here coursera after this Google IT support specialist course. Thank you! see you again for the next courses!

By RUBANTE, J A (

Aug 4, 2020

The course is great, for people saying bad about Qwiklabs giving 0 in lab score, not connecting etc. it's not true for me, all are working fine. And believe me if I say this that qwiklabs is giving you zero score because you're not doing the labs right, there is something wrong on your commands. And for the connection, maybe it is because of your internet or because again you did something wrong on connecting procedures. The instructor is the best too, overall 5/5. :)

By Sophiya G

Apr 16, 2020

This is a great course to obtain more confidence in troubleshooting different OS: desktop, laptops with Linux/Windows and mobile OS (not too much information on my favorite MacOS though, just partially some things could be used which are for Linux). The course has nice hands-on experience, real Labs. I didn't do that much when I was preparing for CompTIA A+, I would like to recommend this course as addition and review for those who are going to pass CompTIA A+.

By Levi F

Jul 16, 2020

This course has been eye opening and a rather nice introduction to a broad, surface-level overview of how to use operating systems. The resources were great for direction into the the non-surface level information regarding operating systems and often difficult to follow for someone new to IT.

Although the information was difficult to retain at first, I've found that doing the lesson quizzes multiple times had been helpful.

Thank you for putting this together.

By SUVAJIT M

Aug 6, 2020

Good morning to the respective admins and to my fellow learners. I learned to remote control machines by the usage of putty as well as Remote Desktop Connection, which my previous lessons 10 years back were unable to teach me in detail. I am a very curious learner, I want to know more see more learn more. I believe I can learn from everyone and there is a hidden gem in everyone I meet in life. Please enlighten me with wisdom, thank you have a nice day.