Back to Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

BO
Apr 1, 2019

This is my most favorite module module, especially the Linux, which is my all time favorite OS ever enjoy learning, working Programing, and configuring, and will continue enjoying til the end of time.

JA
Jun 21, 2019

Great course, lots of very challenging and useful information. You'll learn about Linux and some of the inner workings of Windows, plus lots of tools and programs that are really useful. Great course!

101 - 125 of 2,875 Reviews for Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

By Keith D

Jun 29, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, especially the hands on assessments. It's great being able to jump into the modules when it suits and to go back over anything that I might not have got first time. Seeing how much the instructor loves the topic just encourages you to want to learn more. Overall, I have a much better appreciation of how little I know, but this has opened my eyes to start the process of building up these skills.

By Gokul B

Nov 3, 2020

It was a very interesting, exciting, skillful journey learning this course. I was familiar with many of the Windows OS, but was very eager to learn and operate the linux terminal and the working of Linux OS. The course was very skillfully designed which helped me a lot to grasp the concepts fast and in a better way. Learned so many things. Instructor, Cindy mam was so friendly and interactive. Thank You! Team Google.

By Jonathan O

Dec 15, 2020

Enjoyed the course. Wish there was some more hands on training, but the notes I took definitely helped me on the graded assessments. I really liked to learn about commands, especially on PowerShell since I feel that's a good skill set that bridges IT support for both Windows and Linux without being too dependent on a GUI. It makes you appreciate the convenience of a GUI and simplicity and intuitiveness of Linux Bash.

By Mayur G N

Oct 31, 2020

Love the journey with this course. Thanks to Cindy and other Instructors through this course. It was so existing, handling and troubleshooting Operatings Systems, not just that but how to Install OS, how manage Remote ,Virtual Machines, Cloning,, and lot more stuff. It was super great experience. And I loved the last task of Qwiklabs to troubleshoot problems by our own what we learned in the course. Truly Awesome.

By Dani W

Apr 9, 2018

Great to learn more about PowerShell (which I've used a bit in my current job) and really nice to learn about Linux. I previously had very limited experience with Linux and Bash but now feel much more comfortable with it. While I don't know a ton of commands yet, I know enough that I feel confident in playing in a Linux sandbox. Planning on either running a virtual machine or installing Linux on my old laptop.

By Vaibhav S

Nov 1, 2020

It was an amazing journey going throughout this course. Very useful and knowledgeable experience. Our instructor Cindy did an excellent job by teaching very useful OS concepts in a very interactive learning way, So thank you very much. Qwiklabs very helpful. Know I feel very confident when working with windows and linux, all what I have learned will be very helpful for progressing my career into IT field :)

By Munira Z

Jun 27, 2020

Thanks a lot for this course and opportunity. Really interesting, especially to grab understanding and fundamental skills on having control over OS. Yet, there are a lot of things to learn, but I heard somewhere that this is a long journey, that never ends, each time you conquer a step, there are more to learn. So thanks for this strong foundation and excellent new skills. Special thanks to Cindy Quach.💕

By Nicholas B F

Oct 15, 2020

Learnt a lot of stuff from this course, especially when it comes to skill development. This is something I feel most industries need from candidates, rather than risking yourself going through a 4 year degree program and shelling out that kind of money, and finally ending up in debts, just to eventually get a piece of paper from that university, which would still not be good enough to be job-ready..

By John B M

Mar 14, 2018

Before this course all I knew was that I needed an operating system on my computer in order to get my work done. Now I know how to deploy an operating system, build and edit filesystems, manage users and groups, modify permissions, install and update software, manage processes, connect remotely, and monitor my systems – all from the command line! What?! I can't wait to find out what else I can do!

By Hans

Aug 9, 2018

I came from a background of heavy GUI use so going into command lines for me was like being asked to murder kittens at first but actually then you find out that in fact command lines can turn kittens into ultra deadly and fast tigers so it was awesome when you get the hang of it. Teacher Cindy is very good at teaching also she seems to own 100+ different laptops that she uses for every video.

By Jose C R

Jul 23, 2020

This course was incredibly satisfying and being able to experience different OSes and their different system tools and commands. For me, it was particularly fruitful to learn more about Windows System Management and Powershell. The supplemental readings are a great way to engage as much or little as you want and even for people with some knowledge or experience, there's still a lot to learn.

By Venkatesh k

Aug 23, 2020

I really like the course because it give you real feel of operating system how on the micro level it works. I mean when you read about operating system theory how it manages every thing like process, memory, blah blah that is necessary but we don't get hold of every thing but this course was wonderful awesome it get you dive deeper to deeper along with extra info all was boom boom boom

By William R W

Nov 30, 2020

This module is excellent. The instructor knows the material and demonstrates the work. It is very different from the network module where the instructor reads from a teleprompter. The instructor for the mobile apps seems to be doing the same. The network and mobile apps instructors need to follow the manner in which the OS instructor teaches. That would make the course a lot better.

By Ptesan E

Apr 9, 2020

I thought this would be the easiest course to complete being that I knew how to install an operating system. I was wrong . This course actually broke down software from an equally challenging perspective as hardware. Great work for all involved. I think I like This course the best. I managed to complete without having to rebuild another accidentally smashed laptop. A Joke. Thanks.

By Frederick K

Nov 4, 2019

This course offered a lot of information. However, I had to also employ YouTube and supplemental reading to give the needed information and skill to complete the various grade assignments. I was not able to complete any on the first try. Yet each "failure" pushed me to review the videos, study, and seek further references until I had the skills required to complete the tasks.

By PJ C

Jan 31, 2021

This course was awesome for providing me the experience and tools I need to be successful as I approach the IT field. I love the entire course load and am looking forward to course 4. I highly recommend this to all looking to enter the IT field. I would suggest to make sure you take notes all the way through INCLUDING: when you do your labs as they will be referred to again.

By Arri D

Apr 17, 2018

This is an excellent course for beginners to learn about Windows and Linux OS. This will really help you start your journey. Be patient, I can't stress that enough, and you will persevere. The lessons are very detailed and they go really in-depth to help you really understand what exactly is happening. I recommend taking detailed notes to help you refer back to the lessons.

By Toni H

Oct 1, 2020

This course is very engaging and contains a lot of information about different operating systems one might be dealing with in the real work place. I really enjoyed going through all the labs and getting hands on experience with PowerShell / Linux Commands. It's really useful to know how to do things from the Command Line rather than the GUI. I highly recommend this course!

By Samyak J

Jun 1, 2020

It was really a great experience learning this. The parallel study of Linux and Windows actually made it so interesting. But obviously Linux won :-) Moreover, got an opportunity to learn so much and that too in an efficient manner. Qwiklabs were also too good. It was my first time with them and it was a great experience.

Thanks Coursera

By Tian Q

Nov 6, 2018

This course gives me a brief but solid introduction to OS. I learned to use commands to navigate in the system instead of using GUI and learned why this way is sometimes better. The assessments require me to type the commands I just learned in VMs, which is amazing because it gives me a taste on what it feels like to use these commands and skills to tackle real IT issues.

By Efraim S H

Jan 18, 2021

Excellent and challenging. I enjoyed the journey, especially because I knew little about using commands in Linux to do anything. I'm glad I took this course because now I have a good idea about how to start with the basics of using commands in Linux Ubuntu Bash LCI. Thank you, team, for putting together all the resources and materials to train the students. Keep it up!

By connie s

Dec 16, 2018

I found this course to be rather challenging. It has pushed me to read and study additional supplemental material not provided by this course. I believe this course is a real good starting point for anyone looking into to becoming a power user. It opens the door to Window's Powershell and the use of Linux commands. Good Job! Google. And, thank you, Coursera.

By Paul

Nov 5, 2019

I would suggest dividing the Windows and Linux into just windows courses and just linux courses. Even though the steps are almost the same for each OS, the differences are just enough to be confusing during test time. I had to go back and review just the windows sections and then just the linux sections to get through it. It made so much more sense that way. Thanks!

By Don A E

Aug 4, 2020

This course and series of courses are special. You will definitely become a power user of these tools. You won't look at your computer the same. I started with a windows machine and two old computers that I was going to get to fixing now I have a Linux ubuntu studio system, a MacBook, and a Windows system. Now, I have plans to get a server. It's a lot of fun.

By Abraham I

Feb 20, 2020

Similar to the previous course on the Bits and Bytes of Networking, I feel there was a lot concepts that were explained in detail which truly helped to internalize the complexities between each Operating System and also their similarities. I truly believe I've gained an extra edge and depth of technicality through this learning experience of Becoming a Power User.