Back to Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

JB
Dec 27, 2020

This course was very informative and challenging. I really appreciate the way the course was put together. It would be ore helpful if the links to the readings were from material other than Wikipedia.

MA
May 23, 2020

A wonderful course of prevention that I learned a lot from,\n\nUsing commands with Windows and Linux\n\nHow to deploy and install operating systems through the network and Alot\n\nThanks GOOOOOOOOOGLE

3101 - 3125 of 3,198 Reviews for Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

By Brian M

Apr 28, 2021

I've gotta say while I really enjoyed the material this course is sloppy at best. The amount of times that we are referred to supplemental reading concerning material that should be covered in the classes is pretty outrageous and on top of that the supplementary reading is literally a Wiki page a high percentage of the time. By the end of the course the video information becomes haphazard and difficult to take notes on if you're trying to move at a quick pace and the quizzes... the quizzes barely work. The Windows VM is super glitchy and takes minutes to load, while you're being timed to finish a quiz and the quizzes for week 6 wouldn't even update. I did multiple tasks on both quizzes multiple times and had to end the quiz to see if I had cleared the tasks or not. The Linux quiz I did almost exactly the same twice and got a 10 on one try and an 80 on the other. If I didn't already have some experience I would have had any idea what to do. The first two courses ran super smoothly. I'm hoping that the last two get back on track because my experience here was not ideal.

By Jessica B

May 6, 2021

The layout of the contents of this course needs to be reevaluated. Having people learn two different OS system command prompts at once is akin to asking someone to learn two vastly different languages at one time (think along the lines of Japanese and Arabic being learned at once). Now, that may sound a bit drastic, but for those who have no background in the topics whatsoever, it is a monumental task to parse the differences between Linux and Windows commands. Further, the VM for every Windows assessment is extremely difficult to work with due to its small size. This is compounded by several of the assessments lacking enough direction for one to complete a task properly. Please consider regrouping about how the material for this course is presented and how the assessments are administered. It can only help future students struggle less in the course.

By Roberto V B

Feb 18, 2019

The Qwiklab assessments don't work and are a requirement to pass this part of the course...The learning material is straight forward, but without the Q labs assessment working there is no safe place to experiment and actually fully understand how the things that you've learnt are implemented on a computer manually and physically. Hopefully they fix this problem in the future as this is important part of learning and assessing ones knowledge of the work done. It's not acceptable that these assessments are not able to be completed just because someone didn't test whether the Labs work or not. I'm doing these courses not only because its a pre-requisite to my studies, I'm also doing it because its my passion in life. Computers, Design, Programming, its all that I think of everyday...and the fact that these assessments don't work really is disappointing.

By Tanner J T P

Apr 16, 2019

These were pretty cool courses that offer a lot of knowledge but the part where that talk about getting you information out to companies to help you start your career is fully true. They send you a survey that you select the companies you would like to share you information with out of they're selection, and that's it. There is no other follow up or anything as far as I've seen but I've been done with the program for workin on four months no with no other leads to helping me start my career. So it's great maybe to help boost a career you're already in but DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE if you are using it to help START a career. Hope this helps some people out like me looking for a way into the industry.

By Peter O B

Feb 27, 2021

I liked the first two courses a lot, The information there was well presented. This instructor jumps around in topics during discussion, fails to post links she says will be available, and provides a lot of incomplete information. I flagged many of the video clips for this. I really think this section of the course should be remade with someone who is more competent as a teacher. I had to do a LOT of independent research to fill in the gaps. Cindy seems to know her stuff really well, but she's a *terrible* instructor and it would be great if this could be cleaned up to be on par with the rest of the course offerings.

By Brandon W

Apr 30, 2020

Pros- There is a lot of good stuff in between the massive amounts of bleh in this course.

Cons - This course isn't very engaging, and suffers in the lesson the student doesn't have a matching machine. Puts too much pressure on the student during graded assignments, which already take too long to download and some don't even work properly (mostly the Windows ones).

Suggestions - Make more of the course (working) Qwiklabs. The material in this course you don't learn properly if you're not using it yourself. Not all students have either a Windows or a Linux OS, let alone both, and the Labas are there only practice.

By Brian L

Feb 11, 2018

Command Line is a special form of torture. And anyone who says that they like it are clearly masochistic. That being said, the course content was fine. I especially like the parts about permissions and killing rogue processes. But I had a TERRIBLE time with the labs. Not because the content being tested was too difficult; but because the scoring of lab activities consistently had problems. There was big latency lags, finicky VM Instances with the Windows RDC, and many times, I had to start a lab over due to incomplete scoring. What a huge waste of time! It made completing each module stressful and unpleasant.

By Gaurav R

Nov 21, 2020

I felt the videos and the content of the course too overwhelming for a beginner, compared to the networking module. Although the instructor kept the videos short the overall comprehension of a particular subject was totally ignored. At times it was too confusing constantly switching between the windows and linux environment. This module needs a serious reconsideration in the layout of delivering for a beginner like me. Instead of of switching between the 2 operating systems, the instructor could just teach one OS at a time for better footing of the foundations of the subject.

By Rita M

Oct 5, 2020

I was looking forward to this course and was very disappointed. The structure of the course was very confusing and chaotic. I wasn't sure why we were being taught how to create a folder, this seemed like a very basic "user" task. When the instructor was demonstrating processes in PowerShell or Linux, she sped through the commands so quickly that I would usually have to play the video over several times. This is such an important course in the certificate that I strongly suggest google revisit the content and the instructor.

By Iona G

Jun 26, 2018

I honestly cannot recommend this course due to its reliance on qwiklabs every week. I was left dreading the assessments because qwiklabs would crash, run slow, not save my work, and sometimes just not work at all. I was in contact with the qwiklabs tech support team without and it was just frustrating. The labs should have been fixed before this course was released to students. It costs a lot of money to take this course and the quality of the labs is just not good enough.

By Tim R

Jan 11, 2021

The course itself was quite good. The reason I did not give it high marks was because the labs for week 6, were EXTREMELY difficult due to lack of instructions. I spent hours on Youtube looking for help. This course is for people without any experience other than what we are getting in the course itself. I did not find it helpful to have something that caused me so much frustration. A little guidance would be helpful for the labs for week 6.

By Kyle M

Feb 7, 2018

Honestly, the linux instances were great. The windows RD is trash unfortunately. Eventually i figured out the issue, however. I reported the bug and the workaround, posted to the forum and hopefully it worked for everyone else. I still have two final assignments on week 6 but this course was a slog. I attempted some of the assignment 14 times, zendesk on the qwiklabs side is absolute trash. coursera support was phenomenal however.

By Mari K

Apr 13, 2021

The instructor was not a good choice to teach this kind of material, her personality was dull and I found myself not excited by the content because of it. The content itself was REALLY dense for a 6 week deal. I don't feel like 6 weeks is long enough or that there was enough practice work to really make the content stick. The back and forth Linux/Windows was mind boggling and was not an effective way to teach someone.

By Mary C K

Jun 17, 2020

Our instructor WAS MOST DEFINATELY NOT AN INSTRUCGTOR. SHE WAS PULLED OFF AN ASSIGNMENT AND GIVEN THIS AS AN ASSIGNMENT. I can say this because I was an English Teacher for almost 40 years. I can spot someone who knows how to keep the attention of the class and someone who is simply reading off a script. I give our instructor points for trying but most definitely as an Instructor she gets a D-.

By Michael S

Most of this course was just copying and pasting code into powershell. I wish there were more opportunities to practice writing the code for the simple navigation. There was not enough repetition of this process to get familiar with all of the commands, thus making the last lab one of the worst of the entire course.

By Kevin T

Jun 19, 2018

Lots of good- accurate- but useless information. I have been a Desktop Support Tech since 2002 and have never needed to use Powershell or Command prompts to this level. For small to mid-level companies....this is WAY to much. Your basic front line support help desk guy will never use this information....esp Linux.

By Victoria J

Aug 23, 2019

ALL LINUX should be presented together rather than zigzagging around.

For this course final on LINUX ~ 1 hour is insufficient.

No way to pause & work accomplished is lost after the hour & it just takes longer ~ I'm sure most students come to the class without much or any LINUX background.

By Julie W

Feb 4, 2021

Pretty interesting basics in OS, but assignments was really too easy and not really making us doing the exercices bu ourselves : it was explained step by step what we need to do, but nowhere we had to try to do it by ourseves, except the very last assignment.

By Gilson S

Feb 16, 2021

The final exam/lab is ridiculous. A lot of guessing for the lack of clear instructions. There's no clarity on what is expected to be accomplished. Otherwise it would deserve a 5 stars. Because the course content is good. But the final Lab has to be changed.

By Ivan E

Apr 9, 2021

A lot of glitches i experienced using the labs which both made me feel like an insane person and stressed me out more than I needed to. I am using a macbook so I know these things can be less than perfect. Just thought I would at least mention it.

By Brent R

Aug 24, 2020

Weird combo of tasks. Some way to simple for someone aspiring to become a 1st level sys-admin. Then followed up by insanely complicated tasks that I know (after 30 years in IT, often as a hiring manager), no one entry level will *ever* use!

By Charlene M

Jan 13, 2020

This is one of the most important courses and I feel it was ran through way too fast and unorganized. The content IN it is very good and important but you'll want to do a LOT of research outside of Coursera for a more solid understanding.

By Alexandra B

Jan 21, 2019

Please, update the labs. Most labs had examples that were completely different then the examples. I was stuck on certain labs in the course for days because the VM's were not working, examples said to do things it wouldn't let me do, ext.

By Troy B

Feb 5, 2019

Cindy's reading and speech were a major distraction in this course. Also, the heavy reliance on Quicklabs was disappointing. I'm not able to utilize the Quicklabs on the pc I'm using, as it's not my own. Quizzes should be sufficient.

By Nicholas S

May 14, 2018

Great idea, but this course needs to give us more to practice. When the tests came up in week 6 I had no idea what i was doing. We need to be taught the logic of how to structure a command and where to find commands we do not know.