Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC
Jun 6, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

176 - 200 of 502 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By julia k

Jun 23, 2020

I got a huge amount out of the course, really coming to understand Post War art and AbEX.

I learned about methods and styles and influences and feel familiar with the movement and confident to discuss it.

By Cindy W

I have a better understanding on the works of art introduced in this course. Moreover, I tried to practice on the ways followed by guidence that gave me a deep understanding on the ideas behind the art.

By Mikiko N

Jul 13, 2020

Thank you very much.

I really enjoyed this course.I learned about 8 abstract artists very well.

The curriculum , videos, text, teacher ,feedbacks and homework are amazing.

It is very good. Thank you again.

By Marcia F

Mar 9, 2018

This course is an incredible investigative journey of materials and processes which leads to a greater appreciation for the context in which Abstract Expressionist were working in the mid 20th century.

By Valerie L V

May 22, 2017

Amazing course, precise but deep at the same time, beautifully designed with a really interesting selection of painters. Corey is a GREAT teacher, very clear, very smart and inspiring. I enjoyed a lot!

By Diane B

Jul 26, 2020

By Isabel a g

Oct 29, 2020

A complete learning experience to get introduced to the painting techniques and artistic thinking of key figures in the evolution of contemporary art and culture. I have enjoyed every second of it

By Arthur D W

Feb 26, 2018

This course will inform you about painting techniques (trust me, it isn't as simple as it looks!) and improve your ability to think and write critically and concisely about art (it's also fun!).

By YOUNG, R

Feb 25, 2021

This course provided great tools for examining and understanding the artists covered. I'm able to take these tools and the lexicon I learned and apply them to other artists and their practices.

By Donika J

This is the best online art course I have ever done. The practical element of it was invaluable. Thank you MoMA and Corey D'Augustine for putting it together and making it available for free!

By Bárbara P

Jul 14, 2017

This is a really amazing course. I've learnt a lot about Abstract Expressionism, but also about visual analysis and work appreciation. I absolutely recommend it. Corey is a brilliant teacher.

By Annesha P

May 16, 2017

Excellent course which taught me how to appreciate abstract paintings. I also learned about some of the prominent painters, techniques and materials of the Abstract Expressionist movement.

By Michele B

Mar 28, 2020

This course was very informative and interesting. I loved the in studio sessions which gave you an opportunity to practice a technique that you had just learned about. Super fun course!

By Billie M

Sep 8, 2020

I’ve learnt so much about Abstract Expressionism and have a huge new appreciation for these artists. This course was a great tool and distraction during lockdown, would highly recommend.

By Edward T

Jun 9, 2020

Fantastic! Cory was both educational and pleasant to watch. His instruction was concise but not dogmatic, and he really helped me appreciate some of the artists I was less familiar with!

By Arijit D

Apr 29, 2018

This course was very well structured, and the instructor's personal and often humorous approach was informative and engaging, covering very complex subject matter in an accessible way.

By Beth B

Oct 2, 2020

Even though I'm not an oil painter for many reason, I really enjoyed adapting my acrylic paint. Even though I don't use oil paint I really enjoyed learning so much about the artists

By Priscilla C

Dec 31, 2019

This course gave me a new outlook on abstract painting. The "In the Studio" videos with Corey d'Augustine were illuminating and it was great fun to create my own abstract paintings.

By Mourad

May 19, 2018

I enjoyed every class, as an artist from Egypt, It was great to have an experince to study about NY art school with MOMA's videos. I hope MOMA will issue more and more courses later.

By Ian I

Jun 21, 2017

Superb introduction to postwar abstract painting - a must for any person seeking to understand the historical context and techniques used to create the masterpieces from this period.

By Khursheed R

Sep 5, 2017

Excellent course! Techniques and materials used by each artist is well explained and demonstrated. This course helped me in understanding abstract art from a different perspective.

By Dee A

May 18, 2017

Excellent resources, challenging enough to be worthwhile, great balance between practical and factual learning. I loved it. Wish there was another course developing out of this one.

By Ana R L

Sep 7, 2020

Love this course! It helped me to appreciate and underestand more abstract art! Corey D'Augustine is a great instructor! Thanks, MOMA! I'd totally enroll in more courses like this!

By Linyen Y

Jun 15, 2020

This is a very good structured course. I had learned a lot from the video and reading and the hands on painting experience y turning in the home work and learning from the peers !

By Lilian D

What I liked the most about this course was that they put together the study of art history and the studio practice. I have never done anything like that before. It was perfect.