Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC
Jun 6, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

126 - 150 of 476 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Sarita R

Jun 1, 2020

Well-designed course; I learnt so much about the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists. The studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs were favourites, thank you Corey D'Augustine for great presentations. Excellent overall.

By Josephine V

May 26, 2017

Corey D'Augustine and MoMA curators engaged participants, like myself, in a multi-sensory hands-on experience that transformed our nascent perceptions of abstract expressionism into a developed sense of artistic appreciation for the revolutionary approaches

By Premi J X

Jun 7, 2020

This course gave me a 360 degree understanding about Abstract Art, and thought me to read them better. The "In the Studio" exercises came in handy to understand the Artist's technique better as well. Overall, it was a very impressive learning experience!

By Linda B

Mar 26, 2019

Totally fascinating course that offered to me avenues to pursue with my own art, expression with materials, and compositions. I am extremely grateful for the time, the efforts taken to instruct, and inspire your students. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

By Sabera P

Jan 19, 2018

Fantastic Course. I am so glad to have stumbled upon this course. Professor Corey Augustine is a great teacher. His method is flawless and he has carefully curated the courseware to include some noteworthy artists. Thank you Professor. Thank you Coursera

By Scherwyn U

Sep 12, 2017

I am very happy and consider myself lucky to be staying in a city as far away as Mumbai and learning about art and Postwar Abstract Art in particular from the very best range of videos by the tutor and theoretical readings/exercises. Thank you very much.

By Roman B

Apr 26, 2017

Excellent course. Very unusual approach of the course presenter showing how the artist actually created their paintings clearly made me to remember the names, styles and techniques. I hope MOMA would introduce similar courses about other remarkable art

By Forest D

Aug 11, 2020

Thouroughly enjoyed, very indepth even for a degree student have built apon knowledge. The videos and practical in the studio videos were very engaging and in-depth. Is going to make walking into a gallery and seeing the pieces have enough dimension.

By Polytimi R

Nov 5, 2020

This is a great course, I enjoyed it and I learned a lot about abstract expressionism! in post war America. I was also inspired to try and use the mediums and techniques of all those important artists and that opened new creative territories for me!

By Daniella R

May 26, 2017

I really enjoyed this enriching and inspiring course. The material shared is so valuable and the teachers and exponents are really good. A life changing experience to learn to observe an artwork, exploring deeper into the artists' lives and vision.

By Glenis S

Jun 9, 2018

An exceptional course. We learned about postwar Abstract Artists but also got to see videos showing how they did their paintings. Plus there were slideshows of the artists' career in eight works. Corey d'Agustine was great at teaching. I loved it.

By Stephie T

Jul 31, 2020

An excellent course with both analytical and practical applications. The course has given me artistic techniques that I can use as a starting point to develop my own work, as well as the ability to analyse a painting regardless of the movement.

By Michael A

Mar 13, 2019

Cory D'Auguestine is so adept in both his analysis and executions in the studio. I wish there were more courses like this. It allowed me to work in the manner of many artists that i admired growing in appreciation for the process and methodology.

By Stacy N

Nov 14, 2018

This was a really great course. The subject matter was very interesting, the instruction was outstanding and the studio work was very helpful for technique and process. I enjoyed it thoroughly and have more appreciation for abtract expressionism.

By Apryl-Annette C

Jun 18, 2018

I learned so much valuable information from this course; information and ideas that I will never forget. I got an opportunity to expand the avenues of expression within my art and that to me is priceless. Thank you MOMA and thank you Coursera.

By Ida M

Jul 25, 2020

Very good course, I especially enjoyed reading about unconventional artists and the efforts they shared, their sacrifices through their artwork. An enjoyable experience, allowing me ample time to read, watch videos and do the assignments.

By Ally W

Jul 6, 2020

I'm so very glad I did this course. It is exceptionally well put together and thought out. It is detailed, flexible, engaging, multi-media experience, and I feel more well-rounded for it. I will recommend it to my friends. Keep it going!

By Julie R

Apr 13, 2020

I really loved this course. I learned a lot about some of my favorite artists. I especially appreciate the "In the Studio" lectures as I believe this has given me a much deeper appreciation for the artistry in Abstract Expressionism.

By Patricia G

Feb 20, 2018

This has been an excellent course that I would strongly recommend. I have learned so much during the 8 weeks that it will now be approaching my new paintings in a completely different light. Thank you for this wonderful experience.

By Milene D

Aug 10, 2017

I really loved this class! Everything was explained in a way that was easy for me to understand. Through the artwork of the artists focused upon in the syllabus I was able to 'see', create and experience art differently.

Thanks!!

By Keti R

Sep 2, 2020

The most interesting and useful course for me. I gained better understanding of contemporary art.

I would like to emphasize that the videos showing techniques were interesting, short and informative. Thanks to Corey du Agustin.

By Cristina P

Aug 4, 2020

I learn a lot from this course. I could reach one of my goals that were to know different techniques where I could apply tom my knowledge, So, the results were made a really good painting that there are exhibit in a coffee shop

By Inge F

Jun 26, 2020

Anyone who is interested in any kind of art should take this course! I have gained a huge understanding of modern art that is astonishing to me. I never would have expected too learn so much ! and I have enjoyed every moment .

By Sedigheh N A

Sep 17, 2020

This course was wonderful and I had never have the same subject in my previous degree. All the Modules, Announcements, Discussions, Assignments were great and I have never experienced such a great course before.

By BEATRIZ M V

Jun 15, 2020

Amazing experience. I loved the course , I can not wait to start another one. The material, the resources, everything was just great. I really did not expect to learn so much as I actually did. I would do it a thousand times.