Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

CG

Feb 25, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

KG

Apr 17, 2019

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this course. It has proved useful in boosting my confidence in studying, as well as providing me with inspiration for my own work, both in painting and ceramics.

201 - 225 of 319 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Noelia

Thank you for this opportunity, I am thrilled with the class. Professor D'Agustine is great.

By Peter

Jan 16, 2020

I should say this is an excellent online course and well worth us to spend time on. Bravo.

By Felipe d j C H

Mar 07, 2019

Recommended you learn a lot with contemporary painters, I really like congratulations to all

By Rubén M M

Nov 12, 2018

A very interesting course if you are interested in art, painting and abstract expressionism.

By carter t

Feb 01, 2018

Excellent techniques, context, and history. Very interesting and nicely put together course.

By peyman s

Apr 21, 2018

Fantastic insight into many artists I knew very little about & styles that I wasnt aware of

By Martin H

Oct 11, 2017

This is a fun and informative course, especially if you participate in the studio exercises

By Sandy L

Jun 12, 2017

Loved it. Well presented with valuable exercises. I learned a lot and look forward to more.

By CR

May 24, 2017

I liked that the technical aspects were discussed. This was great for me as a beginner!

By Sean S

May 05, 2018

This might have been one of the most interesting art courses I ever took. Really great!

By Martijn d L

Jul 17, 2017

Excellent introductions, great teacher and very motivating course.

Highly recommended!

By Maria E R

May 25, 2017

totalmente recomendable. Un curso para sacarle provecho a cada video, a cada lectura.

By Jennifer U

May 28, 2017

Amazing course...I hope this guy teaches more courses!! I would sign up immediately!

By Monica P

Jan 07, 2019

Corey D'Augustine is a great instructor, and the course was very well put together!

By Renato S

Aug 17, 2017

just started this course, i think is phenomenal, helsp with techniques and theory

By Ayari G

Jul 31, 2017

Excellent! Worth doing all the studio exercises to make the most of the course.

By Elli M

Aug 10, 2017

Amazing course! I learned so much ! I definitely recommend it ! Thank you MOMA!

By Larisa B

Dec 12, 2018

Thx, a lot. I was incredibly enjoying while learning this. I want some more!!

By Nathaniel O

Sep 28, 2019

Amazing insights and exposure to artistes work , approaches and techniques.

By Jeffrey S

Jan 18, 2020

Excellent and informative course. One of the best art courses on Coursera.

By Joyce Z

Jul 15, 2017

The content is very rich and I benefit from it a lot! Highly recommend it!

By Charles X

Oct 24, 2017

Great experience with to course. I started like AbEx after the course.

By Paul H

Dec 14, 2019

Great course with lots of technical and practical history and advice!

By carolina t

Feb 27, 2018

me gusta mucho este curso lastima que no posee traduccion al español