Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

CG

Feb 25, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

AS

Oct 04, 2019

Well-designed course; interesting material, including optional readings. The studio demonstrations and accompanying exercises were very helpful to my own art work. Excellent overall; thank you.

201 - 225 of 246 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Lisa M H

May 22, 2017

Enjoyable course. Postwar Abstraction is fascinating and this course does a great job presenting these artists in an exciting way.

By Claire E R

Jun 03, 2017

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

By Phoebe L

Jun 03, 2017

Amazing! So interesting.

Good amount of work per week, doable!

By Pantelis A

Jan 31, 2018

Very satisfied with the course. The highlight of the course is Corey D'Augustine's video instructions.

By Ingrid W

May 10, 2017

This is an amazing course! I learnt a lot on the technical aspects of many artists I already knew about, discovered early artworks I had not seen before and also got to spend more time on artists like Ad Reinhardt I knew little about. I have always been interested in art history but I never dared touch a brush to try to put myself in the artists seat. This course gently encouraged me to do so thanks to Corey's wonderful videos and I am amazed at what I produced, the fun I had and the additional dimension it provided to my observant eye. Thank you MOMA for such an amazing set of materials and for fuelling the passion for art in more ways than can be imagined.

By Helene l

Jun 22, 2017

Great content, great material and excellent teacher.

By Ian I

Jun 21, 2017

Superb introduction to postwar abstract painting - a must for any person seeking to understand the historical context and techniques used to create the masterpieces from this period.

By Melinda B

May 23, 2017

The course was inspirational! I loved learning not only the history of Postwar Abstract Painting, and an appreciation of the art works, but also the techniques used by many of the artists. Great instruction!

By Margarita M R

Jul 17, 2017

Lo disfruté muchísimo, pasé feliz. :)

By Carolyn K

Jun 17, 2017

I took this course not knowing what to expect but I've been totally impressed! I've learned so much from the material & technique videos, I really appreciate how Corey teaches. Thank you for offering this as a free course I appreciate having the chance to learn how abstract expressionism originated.

By Mourad E

May 19, 2018

I enjoyed every class, as an artist from Egypt, It was great to have an experince to study about NY art school with MOMA's videos. I hope MOMA will issue more and more courses later.

By Jacopo

May 01, 2019

This course is well structured. Contents are accessible and insightful. Hopefully MoMA will do more similar ones or expand this one.

By Leigh R H

Apr 18, 2019

Excellent course, very well taught. The instructor, Corey D’Augustine, was very low-key but inspiring. Really liked his teaching style and learned so much. He also has an exceptional voice that is easy to listen to through eight weeks of instruction. Hope that he will be teaching something else again soon.

By Karl D G

Apr 17, 2019

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this course. It has proved useful in boosting my confidence in studying, as well as providing me with inspiration for my own work, both in painting and ceramics.

By Gary P H

Apr 01, 2019

Super course. Really good. If you're out to learn something about Abstract Expressionism, or just have a general interest in painting, this course is for you. I particularly enjoyed the optional practicum element, and you should definitely try the exercises that are a fun way for a beginner to get familiar with oil paints and some interesting techniques. I started this course out of curiosity and became hooked; I intend to follow up with more reading and painting. A five-start effort by the whole MoMA team, I highly recommend In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting.

By Hitomi K

Apr 02, 2019

This course was very meaningful to me. If you are interested in American modern art, I highly recommend taking this course.

By Nathan L A

Mar 25, 2019

Corey is the man.

By Jordan W

Mar 25, 2019

Fantastic DIY examples and a great look at several famous pieces.

By Clara A S

Mar 26, 2019

I loved this course! I really enjoyed it. The course content and flexible time management were great and ideal for me.

By Linda B

Mar 27, 2019

Totally fascinating course that offered to me avenues to pursue with my own art, expression with materials, and compositions. I am extremely grateful for the time, the efforts taken to instruct, and inspire your students. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

By brenda g

May 30, 2019

Provided that you like abstract painting, this course will give you insights in abstract painting techniques and work of art that you can use yourself, while making or enjoying art. The demos are great, and never give you the feeling that you cannot do such a thing (but if you do the studio exercises, you'll discover that it's not that easy...).

By Jake K

Jun 18, 2019

This was a fantastic course. It's my first painting course and it made me fall in love with painting. And what a great way to learn about art! I won't forget any of these artists now that I have labored over canvases trying to emulate their techniques. My only suggestion is to add Norman Lewis to the mix of artists.

By Catherine F

Jul 22, 2019

I have really enjoyed every stage of this fascinating course.

I was an an architectural student in the late 1950´s & early 1960’s, the period covered by your course. I regret to say that, at the time, being committed to designing our vision of a « brave new world », with imaginations running riot, I was aware of the movement in New York but the subtlety of the work was lost to me. At last, after too many years, I have a better understanding of the art and of the artists Involved. I will now give their paintings the time that they deserve and not walk past assuming that I have absorbed all there is to see.

The course has been a revelation for me and what I have really enjoyed is the feeling of involvement , not just me + a computer screen. The « in the studio » series was fascinating, as were so many other constituents. The course will , I think, influence my paintings and sculpture, as well as having been fascinating to follow. Many thanks to all involved & I hope the next stage will be a visit MOMA.

By Montserrat A R

Aug 05, 2019

Absolutely fantastic course! I have learnt a lot. Corey explains things in a familiar and really interesting way. I have enjoyed every video. Thanks so much!!!