Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC
Jun 6, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

201 - 225 of 491 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Maga F

Jul 30, 2020

I want to take more courses like this one with other artistic movements. I like this one a lot, now I apreciate the abstract art and have another pespective about art.

By Claudio L

Jun 3, 2020

Great course, well designed, valuable resources, what a good teacher professor D'Augustine!...Keep course rolling, maybe history of modern art could be another choice

By Ghislaine C

Aug 22, 2020

Excellent course on Modern Abstract artists. I had a good introduction all the featured artists and to the modern abstracts of the post war time period. Thank you,

By Christina W

Sep 21, 2020

I loved this course! It has inspired my art and approach to art in ways I did not imagine. I enjoyed all of the in-studio works and it has forever changed my eye.

By F. S M B

May 22, 2017

Excellent materials, from the reading texts to the video lessons, all very well explain and engaging. Its good for all artists beginners and professional artists.

By Irina G

Dec 20, 2019

It was a great course. I learned a lot of new interesting techniques of oil painting. My attitude to abstract art has changed, I have learned to understand it.

By Montse A R

Aug 5, 2019

Absolutely fantastic course! I have learnt a lot. Corey explains things in a familiar and really interesting way. I have enjoyed every video. Thanks so much!!!

By Maria N

Jan 28, 2019

I really liked this format of the course. I had the opportunity to learn techniques and materials. It is very interesting! Make more such interesting courses!

By Joe K

Jan 23, 2019

Really loved this class. The combo of teaching about the artist and actually doing the work itself was amazing. The instructor did a great job balancing both.

By Ana Z

Mar 27, 2020

Excelente nivel!

Excelente instructor! Claro en las explicaciones técnicas.

Rigor en las evaluaciones.

Excelente recopilación de material bibliográfico.

Gracias

By Tatiana P P

Sep 22, 2017

I really liked it! I hope MoMa could offer more courses like this one in the future, with studio time. I would definitely enrol and highly recommend them.

By Lisa R

Aug 18, 2017

Brilliant course, and Corey is a charismatic & knowledgeable presenter, a pleasure to learn from. Highly recommended for students of all ages & abilities.

By Julie S

Oct 13, 2020

I absolutely loved learning about the postwar abstract arts and their techniques. I wish the course was longer or there were more courses like this one.

By Elaine R

Jul 23, 2017

Really enjoyed finding out about a part of art history I had known and greatly enjoyed trying out the well explained (surprisingly complex!) techniques.

By Marie L F

Feb 25, 2018

What a phenomenal course. Corey D'Augustine is so clear and thorough in the presentation of his vast knowledge. I look forward to more of his courses.

By Dina S

Jun 17, 2017

This was an amazing course. Cory is a wonderful and knowledgeable lecturer, the videos and top notch, and the content is informative and fascinating.

By Jorge A M

Dec 20, 2017

A very interesting course where it is conjugated with rigor, both practice and theory, in a pleasant and balanced way.

A highly recommended course.

By Amanda E

May 24, 2017

Amazing coure! Corey was an excellent professor and showed great examples in the videos. I learned a lot of new material! Would gladly recommend it.

By Nichola M

Aug 17, 2020

Excellent course. Very informative and comprehensive. The practical tasks are fun and really allow you to explore the work of the postwar artists.

By Subhadip B

Sep 21, 2020

I just loved this course. Such a details analysis of every aspect of the modern art and its technique.. learnt a lot and opened a new path for me

By Shane T

Jan 14, 2018

I am almost half way through this course and am enjoying it immensely. The videos are excellent and the lecturers are knowledgeable and engaging.

By Florence L

Mar 22, 2020

The course is very interesting with materials and videos of very high quality. I learnt a lot on those artists and I highly recommend this MOOC.

By Sinisa

Mar 15, 2020

Many thanks to teacher and Coursera, course open my mind and after course i buy oil colors and start to paint, realy thanks !

Best regards Sinisa

By IJE

Aug 8, 2017

enjoying this, well presented, easy to follow; love the practical insights re painting & how/why artists used the materials /techniques they did