Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

CG
Feb 24, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

101 - 125 of 476 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Rachel F

May 7, 2020

Well structured, great videos, can do the practical art activities or skip those and just enjoy the art history. Quizzes and assignment helped to gather together my learning. I would highly recommend this course and now I am planning my next trip to NYC to see all the painting in situ. Well done MoMA.

By Carolyn K

Jun 17, 2017

I took this course not knowing what to expect but I've been totally impressed! I've learned so much from the material & technique videos, I really appreciate how Corey teaches. Thank you for offering this as a free course I appreciate having the chance to learn how abstract expressionism originated.

By Regina C P F

Jun 11, 2020

I thank the whole team for extracting the best content and objectively about the Expressionist Abstract in the post war in the USA. I am especially grateful to Professor and artist Corey D 'Augustine, and to the sponsors of the course. Thank you for the encouragement and knowledge. I love art.

By Nina V K

Sep 14, 2018

This was the most enlightening course - it has highly motivated me, not only in my own painting but in my continued research and learning. I now have a deep appreciation of the New York School approach, the intriguing artists featured in this course and their intense philosophies. Thank you MoMA

By HB B S B

Jan 9, 2020

Excellent. Just plainly excellent. One of the best art courses I have ever taken in or out of art school. Many thanks to Corey D'Augustine for this course and for driving my art studio practice and art teaching practice with higher challenges and greater goals. HB Barry Strasbourg-Thompson BFA

By Christie

May 22, 2017

The technical aspect of art history was fascinating and really helped me understand and remember how the artist worked, and the development of their practice. I feel able to talk about these artists, the movements they are associated with, and to produce credible visual analyses of their work.

By Sreshta

Jun 15, 2020

This was an excellent course packed with information, examples, insights and resources! What a great way to begin my online learning on Art! A big thank you to Corey d'Augustine and MoMA for such well thought through course content that helps further online learning in a meaningful manner.

By lorna z f

Jul 17, 2017

Excellent! Not boring at all. Plenty of well done reading materials and interesting links. My favorite part - "In the studio", I think I learned a lot and got motivation to do more.

Curators' and Corey's videos are informative, professional, involving. I would highly recommend this course.

By Natalia F

Sep 2, 2020

It was the most exciting and inspirational course what I took on Coursera. This course opened my eyes not just on the abstract art and artists ,- it opened my eyes on my own work and freed my mind. I feel great appreciation to the lectures of Cory D'Augustine and the materials provided.

By N.G.S. P

Jul 1, 2017

This course has been extremely helpful to me. I am a fresher in painting and wanted to learn more about the various artists of modern art and explore various painting materials and techniques.

This is really an amazing course! Thank you for all your effort in making this course for us.

By lucy g

Apr 15, 2017

Thank you for a very well organized course, with Corey who did a brilliant job of demonstrating a wide variety of techniques and discussing in depth the artists featured. He is so knowledgeable and any future courses he and MOMA offers will have me as a student. A thousand thanks.

By Hilary L

Nov 2, 2018

I loved this course. Full of content, knowledge and invaluable technical insight, it has helped broaden my perspective of this era immensely, whilst positively contributing to my own artistic and creative journey. Thank you MOMA and to Corey, who really does a fantastic job.

By Carol P

Oct 17, 2017

Not just informative with regard to the New York School of Abstract Expressionists, this course is replete with lots of studio fun! Expertly taught by Cory D' Augustine, one will learn the techniques and methods of the members of this dynamic and innovative group of painters.

By Jennifer G

Aug 14, 2017

The In The Studio: Materials and Technique portion was most helpful in understanding the work of the artists and gave me a greater appreciation of their pieces. Overall, the course has taught me how to look deeper at abstract painting and give it more than a quizzical glance.

By SHRUTI L T

Dec 2, 2019

I learnt about the birth of Abstract Expressionism as well as gained an understanding about the artists behind it. It changed my perception regarding the individuality of the artistic process, and how an artwork can silently reveal the inticasies of the mind that created it.

By steve m

Aug 21, 2020

Great course! Great instructor! This course helped me to look at paintings a little more closely.. Only eight weeks, but you have a chance to learn so much. If you have time to do the additional (optional) reading, you can learn even more. Fantastic experience, Thank you!

By Anne G

Jun 13, 2020

This course was highly valuable and relatable. The combination of critical and historical information along with the studio practice sessions gave great insight into the artmaking practice of the selected artists. Corey D'Augustine's knowledge and skill were impressive.

By Almudena A V

Jun 26, 2020

A very interesting course for those who start studying contemporary art. In my case, what I liked the most is knowing first-hand the artist techniques with the examples shown in the videos, since they are details that historians know theoretically, but not practically.

By Gul-e-Zahra H

Jun 13, 2020

It was great to Join MoMA's Post War Abstract Paintings course. i have gained a lot of knowledge of how artists work and their technique along with their philosophy behind their artwork. It will help me to incorporate my learning from this course in my thesis research.

By alissa c

Jul 18, 2017

An amazing course about difficult art. I loved every minute, even when I was bored. NO, really! I found out a lot about how little I knew. And a great deal about technique....I'm going to have to bookmark some of the films, in case I need to find out "What would X do?"

By Angela O

May 22, 2020

I not only Learned a lot in this course I enjoyed in full. The practices, the videos, and the readings made this course an amazing experience full of knowledge and creativity. I thanks to the professor and all of the people that made this possible. Was a great course.

By pedro g w

May 15, 2020

A complete course. I have learnt many skills to apply in my paintings, revealing how important is the previous proccess to create a painting, thanks to Corey for his closed and friendly way to teach, incluiding the videos, books, interwiews and information available.

By Jodi T

Jun 8, 2020

This was a great course to take during a quarantine. Not only did I gain an understanding and appreciation of paintings I would normally spend 5 or 10 seconds on, I also learned the processes of how they created their masterpieces. I highly recommend this course.

By JAUNEAU L

May 23, 2020

Excellent cours. Cela m'a donné envie d'en faire de nombreux autres. Vraiment intéressant et enrichissant. Une pépite dans les nombreux cours ou Mooc que l'on peut trouver en ligne. Merci. Belle découverte pendant le confinement en France et l'aventure continue...

By James W

Sep 12, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyable and provided fantastic inspiration for my own work. The lecturer was clearly very knowledgeable and conveyed sometimes difficult concepts simply and reinforced these throughout the course. It really was easy to stay motivated with this course!