Back to Introduction to Personal Branding

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Personal Branding by University of Virginia

4.4

Though the concept of personal branding isn't new, questions remain about how to create one and, more importantly, what it means to maintain and inhabit that brand. Learners will: o Understand both what personal branding means and what it means to inhabit their brand o Establish themselves on at least three social media platforms o Create a mission statement for their personal brand o Build a board of directors for their brand o Become familiar with the basics of digital security and reputation management o Create a system for on-going brand maintenance Join instructor Kimberley R. Barker as she provides a warm, supportive atmosphere in which learners are encouraged to intensively explore themselves in order to create a personal brand that authentically and effectively communicates their values and professional gifts. Together we will build a strong community in which to provide encouragement and feedback, and support each other as learners pursue their goal of successful brand creation....

SI
Aug 29, 2020

Understanding and application of Personal Branding with the fundamental skills to build leadership skills in the personal branding success in business is very important in today's E-network business.

MH
Apr 20, 2020

Thank you, mam, for such a wonderful lecture. I will be trying to follow all of the advice. By the way in the lecture, I am trying to copy your communication style. And it's an amazing time for me.

26 - 50 of 2,107 Reviews for Introduction to Personal Branding

By Abiral R B C

Aug 13, 2020

I really had very high hopes from a course associated with University of Virginia. But being honest with myself, I give this course only 1-star!!!

This was not really a course. I didn’t learn much. Most of the contents are very, very and very basic things and simply about common sense.

I recommend this course only for somebody who has total free time and is completely new (who doesn’t know anything) about the concepts presented in the course.

By Cristina B

Aug 27, 2018

Lo encontre muy básico, poca utilidad practica, es más bien una clase de carácter de auto conocimiento sencillo. Esperaba mas. Me parece que con el prestigio que tiene coursera, los videos del curso, donde el público son adultos con educación, son mediocres, de vocabulario simple y reiterativos.

By Ahmed H T

Jul 1, 2020

the lecturer was unprofessional, audio and video quality were so bad.

the program was very unstructured.

there are many useless info and the presenter waste the short video time on personal things as admiring the place she is sitting at.!

i'm glad that i didn't buy the certificate for that course.

By Carlos R C G

Apr 15, 2016

Poor quality videos make the course less appealing and make it seems to be unprofessional

By Divya V

Mar 27, 2020

This is more like watching someones vlog & not a Course of any professional capacity.

By Романычева С А

Apr 30, 2019

Хороший курс

By Aamir M

Apr 7, 2020

The course is very basic and I think it is pretty unstructured compared to other courses offered on this platform. I was expecting more concrete knowledge or tools and techniques that would be shared. The quizzes are the least challenging part of the course.

By Chris L

Jun 9, 2017

Some good info but overall a very basic course on branding if you're come from marketing/communication background.

By Md I I C

Jun 13, 2020

70% of video lecture materials in this course was useless. It’s not a well organized Course. The title name could be “ personal branding on social networking sites “.

I think Mentor Kimberley Barker need to work on public speaking and presentation, work on her gesture especially on your facial expression.

Overall it’s killed my valuable time, you need to rethink and reorganized this course materials.

I wonder how University of Virginia offer this unorganized course!

Ultimately this course has defamed the reputation of University of Virginia as well as Coursera.

By Samke

Apr 3, 2020

Perhaps this course who have been more relevant several years ago. Most of what is teaches is practically common sense to people 30 and under. Otherwise, I'd recommend it for the older generation who have no experience with having a digital presence

By Anke K

May 2, 2020

I thought it was very, very, very basic. From former courses I was used to more deep information for optional reading. An update for this course would be appropriate. Especially as so much has happened according to personal branding

By Julia I R B

Aug 31, 2016

Poco profesional (las grabaciones, los artículos), el contenido no es bueno

By Victoria S

Mar 6, 2017

Not even sure it worth one star, all due respect.

By Fodil H M

May 15, 2020

too old and needs a lot of updates!!

By Christy B

This course was extremely helpful. Kimberley R. Barker is knowledgeable and personable. It's very easy to pay attention to her lecture videos and the content was useful from the get-go. I loved being introduced to her favorite things on one of the oldest and most beautiful college campuses in the country. Thank you for that!

Every exercise for me came with at least an extra four days' of research. I feel like I've been introduced to some important connections, even though I will probably never meet any of these people in person. The most important connection I made was with myself. I now have words to connect me to my own heart. Words that connect me with every person I come into contact with. And Words to describe my life's work in a way that my grandmother would be proud of, since she's the one who apprenticed me in her industry when I was just a small child.

I would love to learn more from Ms. Barker about reputation management, as having someone say something negative about my work is the one fear that keeps me from following every dream I've ever had. It's not the need to be liked, personally...I don't know, maybe that is a part of it...but when I dedicate part of my life to making someone else's life better in some way, it is just too hard to find out that they didn't appreciate my efforts. Plus, I've had to deal with a jealous friend who viciously smeared me because her bestie invited me to lunch. That was a temporary nightmare but apparently scarred me for life. Taking this class has shown me some ways to deal with bad-mouthers, but also, especially because I live in Arizona, has scared me to death because that ripoff report guy lives here, too. I do wonderful work in three fields of study. I just don't ever want to be attacked because of it. I'd really like to learn more about this.

By Chelsea B

Jan 20, 2017

This was a very well thought out and well put together course. The instructor was excellent, and I learned new things. I recommend this course even if you have knowledge in the branding industry. You will learn something new or improve in some area. Thank you, instructor Kimberley!

By Shik L P I

Aug 30, 2020

By Swapnil S

Hi Coursera team, Thank you for offering such a unique topic. Thanks a lot to Kimberly R. She is just amazing person with lots of information and her course delivery is fantastic. God bless you.

By farzin

Apr 30, 2019

good person and good teacher and good course

tnx

By Yesi A

May 9, 2019

i found it helpful to maintain my own branding

By Raquel C

By Радзиховская М А

Apr 14, 2019

Awesome!

By Wendy

Kimberly is a joy to watch on the video lectures. She covers a range of basic topics and is easy to understand. Videos are over 5 years old, however, but still relative per se. The forums are JAMMED packed so do not expect personalized service as in a normal lecture hall. There are too many students all following directions (most not reading instructions and just typing questions that have already been answered) and posting that week's topic. Overall a helpful course and I have been doing company branding / marketing for clients for a couple of years now in a freelance way and this is a helpful course.

By Ed P

Good introductory course. it made me aware of the importance of reputation management in the digital era. The exercises leading up to formalizing a mission statement was worthwhile, with the MB Personality Index as a foundation. This establishes the basis of your Personal Brand and assists you as you transition to the next level.

Be forewarned that It is an introduction to Personal Branding not the end all be all solution to enhanced Personal Reputation Management course. A little dated but still some good info to introduce you to Personal Branding.