Back to Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences by The University of Edinburgh

Course Description What is our role in the universe as human agents capable of knowledge? What makes us intelligent cognitive agents seemingly endowed with consciousness? This is the second part of the course 'Philosophy and the Sciences', dedicated to Philosophy of the Cognitive Sciences. Scientific research across the cognitive sciences has raised pressing questions for philosophers. The goal of this course is to introduce you to some of the main areas and topics at the key juncture between philosophy and the cognitive sciences. Each week we will introduce you to some of these important questions at the forefront of scientific research. We will explain the science behind each topic in a simple, non-technical way, while also addressing the philosophical and conceptual questions arising from it. Areas you’ll learn about will include: Philosophy of psychology, among whose issues we will cover the evolution of the human mind and the nature of consciousness. Philosophy of neurosciences, where we’ll consider the nature of human cognition and the relation between mind, machines, and the environment. Learning objectives Gain a fairly well-rounded view on selected areas and topics at the intersection of philosophy and the sciences Understand some key questions, and conceptual problems arising in the cognitive sciences. Develop critical skills to evaluate and assess these problems. Suggested Readings To accompany 'Philosophy and the Sciences', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Philosophy and the Sciences' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy and the Sciences team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please note, this companion book is optional - all the resources needed to complete the course are available freely and listed on the course site....

CG
Feb 10, 2020

this course was very broad and incredibly interesting. I highly recommend it as introduction to the philosophy of science, but I have to warn you: Once you have started, your journey won't stop here!

AS
Jun 24, 2020

this is the great course for the people who are pursuing their carer in philosophy, philosophy of mind to be more precise and also for the people who are thinking of doing psychology later anytime.

76 - 100 of 232 Reviews for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

By Karina R J

Jul 9, 2017

Thank you for a great and interesting course. It gave a lot of inspiration and new angels to how our brain thinks!:)

By Salvatore F

May 7, 2020

Very fascinating tutorial. An open mind point of view about our brain and its relation with the world surrounding it

By Laura V

Apr 22, 2020

It is a great introductory course, covering a vast variety of topics. I truly enjoyed taking it! Thank you so much!

By Omar S

Aug 2, 2020

I enjoyed this course. It was a fun experience and I got some basic information on what cognitive sciences cover.

By Shradha K

Jan 13, 2019

Amazing.

Really useful and I understood all of it even though I do not have a background in this subject.

Thanks

By Ian B B

Apr 27, 2020

Very interesting introductory course on Cognitive Sciences. I hope there'll be more related courses on this.

By Blair K W D

Apr 29, 2020

Really enjoyed the course. I enjoyed learning about how the brain works. And how Cognitive Science works.

By Peter

Aug 30, 2018

Very good overview into an interesting topic. Takes into account different views off the topic. Liked it!

By Valentine N

Feb 6, 2019

A great subject it is thanks for enabling me go through it. I have gained some insight into cognition!

By Vincent W

Sep 10, 2018

I learned some really interesting things from this course that I will be using in an upcoming project

By jorge e r g

May 2, 2018

This course I help myself to updating concepts and to be to the forefront in the area of philosophy.

By Abdulkader K

Mar 29, 2020

It is a great course which introduces great facts and theories given by a great team of professors.

By Belakhdar A

Apr 19, 2020

great cours and good teachers with aewsome plan and universitys, but ist verry small and beginner!

By Fuyad b h

Sep 25, 2020

I want to thanks all of you who have involved with this course directly or indirectly to succeed.

By Natascha I

Oct 20, 2017

Muy bueno. Claro. Conciso. Al alcance de quien desee aprender sobre esta interesante temática!

By Jimena P L

Oct 2, 2020

Super interesting! It is simple but not to a level that becomes boring to hear the lectures.

By Prerana H

Mar 20, 2019

Excellent introduction to important concepts, with clear lectures and good reading materials

By J Y T

Dec 16, 2017

Short and informative, full of food for thought for behavioural and social science students.

By Clare H

Jan 12, 2018

I thought this was a great overview: well-produced, engaging, and thought-provoking.

By Lucas B P

Jul 1, 2020

Course that offers highly specialized knowledge in a very simple and concise way.

By Proinsias R

Feb 4, 2020

Very enjoyable journey of insightful philosophical and scientific exploration.

By Tang S S S

Jan 9, 2018

I am a full-time postgraduate student and have found this course very useful!

By Alexander S

Feb 13, 2017

Very interesting material with really demonstrative examples and experiments.

By Liliana L J

May 13, 2019

I loved! Too bad there were only 2-3 videos per week - could have been more!

By Vikash M

Jul 8, 2020

A great overview of the twinning between cognitive sciences and philosophy.