Back to Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences by The University of Edinburgh

What is the origin of our universe? What are dark matter and dark energy? This is the first part of the course 'Philosophy and the Sciences', dedicated to Philosophy of the Physical Sciences. Scientific research across the physical sciences has raised pressing questions for philosophers. The goal of this course is to introduce you to some of the main areas and topics at the key juncture between philosophy and the physical sciences. Each week we will introduce you to some of these important questions at the forefront of scientific research. We will explain the science behind each topic in a simple, non-technical way, while also addressing the philosophical and conceptual questions arising from it. We’ll consider questions about the origin and evolution of our universe, the nature of dark energy and dark matter and the role of anthropic reasoning in the explanation of our universe. Learning Objectives Gain a fairly well-rounded view on selected areas and topics at the intersection of philosophy and the sciences Understand some key questions, and conceptual problems arising in the natural sciences. Develop critical skills to evaluate and assess these problems. Suggested Reading To accompany 'Philosophy and the Sciences', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Philosophy and the Sciences' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy and the Sciences team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please note, this companion book is optional - all the resources needed to complete the course are available freely and listed on the course site....

RR
Jan 28, 2017

Un curso muy completo y fácil de digerir sobre la cosmología y el principio antrópico, muy recomendable para la comprensión que se tiene sobre el universo actualmente y la razón de nuestra existencia.

NJ
Jun 1, 2021

The course was really fun and enjoyable. The course offered a lot of information in a very simple way. All the instructors were very fluent with their explanation and I thoroughly enjoyed this course!

51 - 75 of 166 Reviews for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences

By Ellasa S

Dec 4, 2019

This was a beautiful overview and introduction to the philosophy of physical sciences. I am excited about taking more courses with/at The University of Edinburgh.

By VINOD T P

The course was fascinating and inspirational. It revealed to me the connection between science and philosophy in the context of cutting edge knowledge.

By Rulx N

Apr 25, 2019

Important notions to learn for who is interested in science; this could help us better communicate with each other particularly with science opponents

By Ahmad S

Aug 29, 2017

Great course! Special thanks to Prof. John Peacock as he explained all the information in a very simplistic way. I liked his videos so much

By Csaba D

Dec 24, 2019

I learned interesting ways of abording the subject of new theories. As a physics teacher, I will use some ideas in my everyday practice.

By Francisco A

Sep 1, 2017

A remarkable experience. Great lectures, beautiful surroundings, well chosen readings. I guess I will sign up for the second part of it.

By Héctor R R M

Jun 19, 2020

Curso muy interesante. El material se explica de forma clara, comprensible para cualquier audiencia y nivel de conocimiento previo.

By Jorge C

Apr 19, 2021

Great professors and instructions. Very good notes and made the process of learning about Universe expansion very interesting.

By Atimukta M

Dec 29, 2018

This course will let you dive into the depth of universe and see through the theories and reason for their existence till now.

By Malcolm C

Oct 30, 2020

Some of the dark energy stuff was a bit above my head but overall it was interesting and simple (but challenging) to follow.

By Chagari A P R

Jan 17, 2020

Bridges philosophy and cosmology seamlessly. Prof Peacock's lectures are brilliantly lucid. Wonderfully demystifying course.

By Hugh H

Sep 4, 2017

Fantastic material. Well delivered lectures. This course is challenging and requires you to pay close attention. I loved it.

By Rabeet T

May 6, 2020

Extremely well explained! A brilliant course highly recommended for anyone who wishes to learn about cosmology and reality

By Oscar R

Jul 26, 2019

This course is very interesting to get to know deeply Contemporary astronomy and his philosophical consequences. Thanks

By Leonardo A E L

Sep 30, 2016

Really amazing course, I enjoyed a lot the videos and additinal lectures. Looking forward for a more extended course.

By GIULIANO Z

May 12, 2020

Very well explained, even if it's filled with some of the most difficoult topics human beings have ever conceived.

By Gabriela C G

Sep 27, 2018

EXCELENTE CURSO!!! LOS ACADÉMICOS EXPLICAN DE MANERA MUY CLARA, CONCEPTOS QUE PODRÍAN PARECER DE MUCHA DIFICULTAD.

By Maruf L

Sep 26, 2019

very interesting course. I learnt a lot new things and also reinforced some of the other things I use to know.

By Pascal S

May 26, 2019

A great course. My only quiblle are that the summary slides don't always coincide with the video explanations.

By Robert C C

Apr 24, 2019

This course wasn't exactly what I thought it would be, It was better. I found it to be challenging but good.

By Lora X

Sep 27, 2018

The physics part is somewhat challenging, but good for getting a sense of the philosophy of physical sciences.

By Tohid H

Oct 29, 2020

The perspective that this course proposes is fascinating and engaging. I hope to see more courses like this.

By sude a

May 12, 2020

The course starts with a really simple question and ends up in a really different place. Highly recomended!

By Claudia M

Dec 14, 2020

Very rich course, though not long. It has the right mix between challenging and easier parts. I loved it.

By Johnson L

Jun 11, 2017

Definitely helpful for understanding the philosophy under the context of physical sciences for starters.