Back to Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences by The University of Edinburgh

What is the origin of our universe? What are dark matter and dark energy? This is the first part of the course 'Philosophy and the Sciences', dedicated to Philosophy of the Physical Sciences. Scientific research across the physical sciences has raised pressing questions for philosophers. The goal of this course is to introduce you to some of the main areas and topics at the key juncture between philosophy and the physical sciences. Each week we will introduce you to some of these important questions at the forefront of scientific research. We will explain the science behind each topic in a simple, non-technical way, while also addressing the philosophical and conceptual questions arising from it. We’ll consider questions about the origin and evolution of our universe, the nature of dark energy and dark matter and the role of anthropic reasoning in the explanation of our universe. Learning Objectives Gain a fairly well-rounded view on selected areas and topics at the intersection of philosophy and the sciences Understand some key questions, and conceptual problems arising in the natural sciences. Develop critical skills to evaluate and assess these problems. Suggested Reading To accompany 'Philosophy and the Sciences', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Philosophy and the Sciences' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy and the Sciences team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please note, this companion book is optional - all the resources needed to complete the course are available freely and listed on the course site....

DL
Nov 26, 2017

Many of the mathematical elements were beyond me, but the instructors presented the material in such a way that it really demonstrated the art of philosophical thinking about the field of science.

AK
Oct 4, 2020

Thx to the professors for a wonderful overivew in understanding our universe. Also the role of the anthropic principle and philosophical approaches in advancing scientific progress in cosmology.

51 - 75 of 139 Reviews for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences

By Rabeet T

May 6, 2020

Extremely well explained! A brilliant course highly recommended for anyone who wishes to learn about cosmology and reality

By Oscar R

Jul 26, 2019

This course is very interesting to get to know deeply Contemporary astronomy and his philosophical consequences. Thanks

By Leonardo A E L

Sep 30, 2016

Really amazing course, I enjoyed a lot the videos and additinal lectures. Looking forward for a more extended course.

By GIULIANO Z

May 12, 2020

Very well explained, even if it's filled with some of the most difficoult topics human beings have ever conceived.

By Gabriela C G

Sep 27, 2018

EXCELENTE CURSO!!! LOS ACADÉMICOS EXPLICAN DE MANERA MUY CLARA, CONCEPTOS QUE PODRÍAN PARECER DE MUCHA DIFICULTAD.

By Maruf L

Sep 26, 2019

very interesting course. I learnt a lot new things and also reinforced some of the other things I use to know.

By Pascal L S

May 26, 2019

A great course. My only quiblle are that the summary slides don't always coincide with the video explanations.

By Robert C C

Apr 24, 2019

This course wasn't exactly what I thought it would be, It was better. I found it to be challenging but good.

By Lora X

Sep 27, 2018

The physics part is somewhat challenging, but good for getting a sense of the philosophy of physical sciences.

By Tohid H

Oct 29, 2020

The perspective that this course proposes is fascinating and engaging. I hope to see more courses like this.

By sude a

May 12, 2020

The course starts with a really simple question and ends up in a really different place. Highly recomended!

By Johnson L

Jun 11, 2017

Definitely helpful for understanding the philosophy under the context of physical sciences for starters.

By Diego B

Dec 1, 2016

Excellent course on cosmology and philosophy. Great course material and additional for further reading.

By María D D C

Aug 16, 2020

Very interesting I learned many things I didn’t know about cosmology and the relation with philosophy

By Juan C R N

Jul 31, 2020

Excelente curso introductorio para los amantes de las ciencias naturales y el pensamiento filosófico.

By Ahmed H

Mar 18, 2017

Thought provocative, challenging and entertaining journey through time, space and mind.

By Burak Ç

Oct 6, 2018

very useful for course to understand modern cosmology and its philosophical background

By Clare H

Jan 12, 2018

I thought this was a great overview: well-produced, engaging, and thought-provoking.

By Francisco J d o (

Jun 15, 2019

eternal apprentice One more course. More information. I love the COURSERA platform.

By D.Scott V

Sep 3, 2017

Very informative and enjoyable. Thanks to all who taught and participated.

By Saleem R

Aug 2, 2017

Really made me think! It pushed me beyond my conceptual threshold.

By Arantza P M

Jul 11, 2020

Helps you expand your way of seeing the universe and life itself

By Muskan A

Sep 17, 2020

Get the knowledge on my own field and wonderful explanation.

By Proinsias R

Jan 8, 2020

Really enjoyed this opportunity to learn. Highly recommend!

By Jekaterina T

Mar 30, 2017

Excellent course for a beginner or just science enthusiast!