Back to Philosophy, Science and Religion: Science and Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy, Science and Religion: Science and Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

4.4

Philosophy, Science and Religion mark three of the most fundamental modes of thinking about the world and our place in it. Are these modes incompatible? Put another way: is the intellectually responsible thing to do to ‘pick sides’ and identify with one of these approaches at the exclusion of others? Or, are they complementary or mutually supportive? As is typical of questions of such magnitude, the devil is in the details. For example, it is important to work out what is really distinctive about each of these ways of inquiring about the world. In order to gain some clarity here, we’ll be investigating what some of the current leading thinkers in philosophy, science and religion are actually doing. This course, entitled ‘Science and Philosophy’, is the first of three related courses in our Philosophy, Science and Religion Online series. The first launch is now closed to enrolments. We will launch a new version of the course in July 2018. The course will address four themes each presented by guest lecturers: 1. Are Science and Religion in conflict? (Professor Michael Murray, Franklin & Marshall) 2. Neuroscience and Free Will (Professor Al Mele, Florida State) 3. Creationism and Evolutionary Biology--Science or Pseudo-science? (Dr. Mark Harris and Dr. David de Pomerai, University of Edinburgh) 4. Do Scientific claims constitute absolute truths? (Professor Martin Kusch, University of Vienna) The second and third courses in the Philosophy, Science and Religion series are ‘Philosophy and Religion’ and ‘Religion and Science’. They may be taken in any order and completing all three courses will give you a broader understanding of this fascinating topic. Look for: • Philosophy, Science and Religion II: Philosophy and Religion • Philosophy, Science and Religion III: Religion and Science Check out our trailer to hear more: https://youtu.be/OifqTI5VKek You can also follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/EdiPhilOnline and you can follow the hashtag #psrmooc...

SR

Nov 14, 2017

A very interesting course and it has given a great knowleddge to me about the concept of science and religion . just amazed and the professors taught this in a very impressive way . very nyccc .

DM

Aug 21, 2019

I enjoyed the course very much and found it useful to prepare for a graduate course about the same subject. The teachers are very knowledgeable and the material very adequate,

26 - 50 of 161 Reviews for Philosophy, Science and Religion: Science and Philosophy

By Pablo G A

Aug 18, 2017

I was very pleased of taking this course. I recommend every course of the University of Edinburgh, I think they are of a very good quality. You learn very interesting things, and furthermore, it is very helpful to practice English language skills.

By Martin W B

All of the lecturers were outstanding. I like the way the course is structured. Not just multi-choice questions but also short essays that can be criticized by fellow students. That is what philosophy is all about - the give and take to ideas.

By Astromuon K

Feb 23, 2020

This course has totally change the way I understand science, philosophy and religion. It opens my eyes and brings me into the new world through its great contents and its simplicity of explanation. I cannot thank you enough to all instructors.

By Emiel d J

Dec 08, 2018

In the beginning of the course I had the sense that the course was somewhat biased towards religion. But later on I found out that both aspects are explained quite honest and well in the course. All in all well worth the time and effort.

By Antonio A

Feb 04, 2020

An Excellent course, congratulations to all professors. Now, I have a really greater perspective from Philosophy. After I´ve done my first course: Intro to Philo, now, I´ve gotten another points of view in order to write articles.

By Anne S

Jan 05, 2018

A very interesting and well presented introduction to a controversial area of debate. Encourages further intellectual investigation of three disciplines that seem to have more in common than many would like to admit.

By Pavithra V

Aug 26, 2017

This course has helped me look at a lot of things from a different point of view. It was a thrilling experience to discover that a lot of theories that seem obviously true aren't really so! The lectures were amazing.

By William M W

Dec 22, 2017

This course has brought a lot of clarity to my understanding of the basic issues at stake in the intersection of science and philosophy. I look forward to trying out the rest of the PSR courses from U. of Edinburgh!

By Eleison D d S C

Jun 17, 2019

Excelent course! Just the videos by Mark Harris are not very undestandable. He mumbles and it becomes difficult to follow along him. Also I would suggest more illustration on his videos, otherwise becomes boring..

By Sen Z

Sep 02, 2017

Thought provoking course.

As a atheist, this course gives me lots of new views of thinking religions and 'science'. Also leave me to think why we need religion or science in the first place. Really good!

By Rodrigo S S R

May 14, 2017

Fine course, nice references for further reading, clear and nice instructors. Only two where a little odd: Statis Psillos, talking too fast, and Conor Cunningham, a bit too theatrical.

By Christopher B

Feb 06, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and the effort it put forth to open the dialogue of religion, science and philosophy. Thank you for creating a space to openly discuss belief.

By Lorena S P

Jun 30, 2019

Very interesting course!!!! I can see many concepts about science in a different light now and I've learnt many others which were utterly new to me. Thank you so much!!!

By Tahir S

Jun 21, 2017

Precise and to the point! In the time and space we dwell in, this course is of utmost importance and the respected professors are of undeniable excellence.

By Tsvi B

Feb 25, 2017

Enjoyed a lot watching this course. Gives a lot to think about!

Thank you so much for providing such an interesting and quality content for free!

By luis j

Apr 20, 2019

An excellent course, which touches all facets of the religion science relationship, teachers are very professional in content transmission

By Maruf L

Sep 26, 2019

Very Well package course. thanks for a lot of the knowledge and insight shared. I guess the learning continues.

By Venelouis T S P

Jan 31, 2017

A great course that make us to think about perceived reality, to think about science and religion importances.

By John M D

Apr 27, 2017

Great course, excellent brief survey of a number of key issues in philosophy of science. Highly recommended.

By Fogan A

Mar 09, 2019

This course is a great course! Thanks to Coursera and all the professors and others that made it possible

By Комаровская А С

Mar 22, 2017

Thank you so mush for providing such an interesting course on philosophy for free! The material was good!

By Robert C C

Jul 30, 2019

Good course, though I think the instructors are rather condescending toward young earth creationism.

By Peta A

Apr 04, 2019

Wonderful thank you, will definitely participate in the additional courses offered on this subject.

By Rafael A T

Aug 10, 2017

Excelent course, all the topics are very interesting, great team of professors, congratulations.

By Stacey M

Feb 25, 2018

Excellent material, very well presented and explained. Thoroughly interesting. Thank you so much.