Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT

Sep 02, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

CC

Oct 08, 2015

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

326 - 350 of 1,502 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By FRANCISCO I D B

Aug 05, 2020

I really like the course. I learned so much about different aspect about philosophy.

I like the modality with different teachers with different specialities.

By Walter M

Jun 07, 2020

Maravilloso curso!! Gracias a los profesores por hacer tan sencillo temas que leyendolos a traves de un libros suelen se inentedibles. SALUDOS CORDIALES!!!!

By Wendy G

Apr 29, 2020

This was illuminating and fun. A great spectrum of questions to decide what I wanted to dig in to next. Very thoughtful lectures and explanations.

Thank you!

By Claudia C

Dec 31, 2018

ES UN CURSO QUE PLANTEA EL DEBATE , EL CONOCIMIENTO Y LA INVESTIGACIÓN. ME GUSTA MUCHO Y SEGUIRÉ ESTUDIANDO EN ESTA PÁGINA.. MUCHAS GRACIAS!1

CLAUDIA COPPO

By Laura D G

Feb 02, 2016

Fully satisfied with this course. Very good program and content, good videos, professional teachers... I really learned a lot. I recommend the course 100 %

By Adam M

Nov 10, 2015

A smooth and engaging initiation into philosophical thinking with a practical path amid this world filled with so many semantics and distorting propaganda.

By Gerard H

Oct 31, 2015

Excellent course. It gives in a very pleasant, well presented and clear way 7 essential topics of Philosophy which can be the base for further exploration.

By Jiazhen T

Aug 26, 2015

I love the new way of thinking it introduced. It showed me how people have analyzed seemingly obvious concepts and help me to examine myself in retrospect.

By David M

Aug 17, 2018

Very engaging and well presented course. I enjoyed the video sessions and learned a lot about subjects I had no prior knowledge or training of. Thank you!

By akshay r

May 29, 2018

I've always been curious about philosophy and this course was a great way to get immersed in this field and get a sense of the mechanics of how it works..

By Reward E

Oct 29, 2017

it's quite concise and simple to understand as philosophy can be simple. Now I see myself learning and expanding in a number of areas I have always wanted

By Dorothy L M

Jan 27, 2016

Wonderful course! I especially enjoyed the Time Travel modules, as I am a huge science fiction fan. The instructors are informative and thought-provoking.

By Margarita C

Jul 28, 2020

Me encantó este curso. Me ayudó a abrir mi pensamiento hacia e conocimiento y las preguntas existenciales que uno se plantea durante el paso por la vida.

By Robin N M

Jun 12, 2020

It is great for people like me ,who watns to learn something about the actual problems of philosophy duscussions and to practice english at the same time

By A. K M M I

Excellent course , well designed and organized. In such a short time we got so incredibly much from the highly enthusiastic, and knowledgeable teacher.

By Thomas D

Feb 28, 2020

An excellent non-trivial but accessible introduction to philosophy presented by people who are both great at philosophy and at communicating its essence.

By SOHAM D

This is a very good introduction to philosophy with the course materials being easy enough to be understood while also being intellectually challenging.

By Jakub H

Aug 31, 2015

Very interesting view to basics of Philosophy. Philosophy topics has in my opinion very modern concept. I like the attitude and enthusiasm of lecturers.

By Carlos E G Z

Feb 21, 2019

A very great course. Well explained, full of useful material, readings and discussion.

Now I love Philosophy.

See you in next course.

Just amazing.

Thanks.

By Chui A

Sep 18, 2017

It is a nice course for those who are interested in philosophy , included me . From the week 1 , i had been learnt to think things on the right way ...

By Cecilia M

Sep 12, 2015

It was very confusing some of the things for me, but I guess is just some topics are hard to understand thank you for this experience i learned a lot !

By Alistair W

Aug 04, 2020

An excellent reintroduction to this fascinating subject, which I last studied decades ago. This course was much more interesting than my previous one!

By MD. A R D

Jul 14, 2020

It was an amazing and interesting journey. I had no idea about philosophy prior to this course. This course modules were easily described. It was fun.

By Brian S

Jun 26, 2020

This class was exceptional! I have taken many MOOCs. This is the best that I have had. Fascinating material, excellent lectures... It is all here.