Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

SF
Jun 27, 2020

It is an excellent course for anyone who is interested in knowing more about philosophy and philosophical questions. The lectures are short and very informative! I would highly recommend this course.

LT
Sep 1, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

476 - 500 of 1,744 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By Chloé G

Sep 1, 2019

Great course! Well-explained yet throughout introduction to a new subject and various interesting topics. Would recommend to anyone.

By Nelson Y

Nov 14, 2020

FELICITACIONES

TIENEN ALTO NIVEL ACADEMICO

PERMITE CRECER INTELECTUALMENTE

SON CURSOS DE VANGUARDIA QUE AYUDAN MUCHO A LOS ESTUDIANTES

By Samira J

Aug 12, 2020

I think this course brilliantly illustrates each vital aspect of philosophy, and I will have to admit that I have taken away a lot!

By Carlos M

Jan 23, 2016

Excelente! Es una dicha poder acceder a la filosofía de una manera clara, simple, y sobretodo, para todo aquél estudiante buscador.

By Víctor L

Mar 23, 2018

Terrific Course. Before it, I was really far from understanding what Philosophy was about. Now i'm a bit closer of what it is ...

By Jose E F

Aug 22, 2017

Very good course would like to have a superficial dive into metaphysics and logic. Great teachers very objective and explanatory!!

By Gabriel R

Sep 13, 2015

Really enjoyed the methodology and the subjects. For me that didn't know anything about the topic, it opened up a whole new world.

By thomas h

Jun 19, 2016

Brilliant course. Not a simple 'history of philosophy' this course jumps into some very interesting topics and engages you fully.

By ESRA O

May 14, 2020

It's really a satisfying course for me.I enjoyed the topics and the lecturers summarized most of the complicated topics clearly.

By Subramanian V

Oct 4, 2015

Very good introductory course. Provides an overview of the different philosophical topics ranging from knowledge to time travel.

By Carlos Z

Jan 7, 2021

es un curso muy completo para tener una prespectiva diferente de como hercese preguntas sobre el mundo en que vivimos gracias

By Michalis O

Apr 30, 2017

Intriguing from the very first lecture to even all the internal and external assignments attached by the professors. Thank you!

By Jorge A F O

Dec 12, 2020

Un curso muy completo con los diferentes puntos de vista de los filosofos, en apropiado orden para realizar un mejor analisis.

By ROBERTO T R

Aug 2, 2020

I really think that this is a excellent course fo introduction to philosophy. I have learned a lot of some interesting topycs.

By Francisco J M

Jul 8, 2020

Great course. Is not a classical and sometimes, boring study of philosophy. The themes of the course are important and modern.

By ADAN E S

Jun 22, 2017

Excelente Curso!

No duden en inscribirse, en verdad, la filosofía es una herramienta indispensable para entender nuestro mundo.

By Abel B

Dec 12, 2020

Informative, educational, challenging, well illustrated and open to debate.

Thank you for the opportunity of being part of it.

By Hugo V

Jun 8, 2020

Definitely a must. Very good teachers that engage you in topics that have been around and still "haunt" our minds to this day

By Andrey M

Feb 28, 2016

Greatly enjoyed this introduction to philosophy - appropriately brief, but insightful, engaging, broad and thought provoking!

By Nicole T

Mar 21, 2021

Very informative, well structured course. I really enjoyed listening to the different instructors for the different modules.

By Valentina B S

I learned a lot, the teachers were cool and explained great. I never thought I'd have so much fun while learning philosophy.

By ERIKA M

I would love to continue with phase 2.... Sometimes i find the questionnaires t a bit hard for nonnative English speakers...

By Tieta S

Oct 7, 2018

I love Suilin Lavelle! I think she's incredible and very funny and smart. Every philosophy lecturer should be like Suilin :)

By Andrea L C R

Oct 5, 2018

Es muy bueno, sólo recomendaría hacer una sección para lo que se trata de autores de filosofía clásica y los contemporáneos.

By Alex M D H

Aug 15, 2018

Is a great course if you want to approach to philosophy, has a great variety of modules and has actual or modern philosophy.