Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT
Sep 1, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

AG
Apr 10, 2021

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

1826 - 1844 of 1,844 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By Faisal A

Dec 14, 2020

I did not get my free certificate? Before i enrolled I think it mentioned a free certificate from a cretin time to time. Though, I finished everything expect the peer review so after I finished will I get it?

By FRANCISCO E M L

Dec 20, 2020

No es lo que esperaba, más que una introducción a la filosofía es sobre temas concretos de la filosofía de las ciencias.

By Kenneth M

Dec 8, 2015

Almost totally ignores the ancients. A skewed view of philosophy from an enlightenment perspective.

By Gareth

Aug 30, 2015

It seems I have failed at week three without having to ask for the answers for three questions.

By William H M P

Aug 20, 2015

Sorry, but of no real use except to people totally

By Bruce M

Jan 6, 2016

Sorry but he puts me to sleep. No emotion.

By Aytac A

Nov 27, 2020

Too many information in one week.

By SRINATH R

Jun 9, 2020

Professor reads seeing notes

By Lisa S

Jun 19, 2016

Propaganda

By BoumTAC

Mar 17, 2021

It's a really bad course. It start really great with asking what is Philosophy ? Which is basically seeing the big picture and having a critical mind about everything. And then, I don't know how, they talk about some smoking weed stuff, am I a brain in a vat ? can I teleport myself into the future ? if I take the bus do I obey the state? and some crazy stuff like that. I finished the course but learned absolutely nothing it was a total waste of time

By Elaine G

Oct 3, 2015

You do not know what you are getting into until you take the first class. What happen to the delete button on the class.l

Jan 18, 2020

The morality chapter is incredibly complicated and the lecturer makes it confusing. Wasted my money.

By Rich I

Apr 17, 2018

Boring. I want to drop this course.

Thank you.

By S. Z

Sep 6, 2020

I'm trying to unenroll but I can't!

By raj p

Apr 30, 2020

This is a very good course

By Tom T