Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT

Sep 02, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

CC

Oct 08, 2015

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

76 - 100 of 1,491 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By litongxi

Aug 11, 2019

The course renders us an insight into philosophy by introducing several branches of contemporary philosophy with some mainstream ideas and arguements, and amazingly in a clear and concise way. And many philosophical questions haven't any clear answer so that we have to think them ourselves(the start of philosophical thinking!), yet with these ideas introduced we are more targeted. Also the extra readings are really helpful and enlightening. Thanks for all your hard work to present us the course.

By Lily C

May 02, 2020

I imagine it must be very difficult to decide on the right level of challenge for random participants but this was gauged perfectly. The lectures were not over simplified and introduced often difficult concepts in an accessible but grown up way. Every lecturer was engaging and clearly fired up about their particular field. I personally found that reading the transcripts before each lecture really helped me to achieve a little familiarity with each topic before I listened to the lecture.

By Sumit D

Mar 26, 2018

A great introductory course on philosophy. It is designed and organized in a pretty scholarly manner which makes it accessible to everyone providing a clear and simple understanding of the subject. Nonetheless, I must say that this is a fairly short course, there is much more that could be added into it—such as thoughts of contemporary(20th century) philosophers. I highly recommend this to the newbies; it should provide them with an academic-like head start in the realm of philosophy.

By Dawn S

May 04, 2020

The introduction to philosophy has been a great course. I enjoyed all of the instructors. It was extremely informative, every week I learned new terms and discovered new things to share with my significant other. All that I learned and shared with him lead to lively debates. Most importantly I gained a greater understanding of philosophy, its history and the schools of thoughts that are in philosophy and best of all it has given me a thirst to really examine how I choose to think.

By Sonja W

Apr 26, 2020

I truly enjoyed completing this course! I did not believe that my brain was wired to understand the complexities, let alone the language and terminologies used in this particular area of learning. I suppose that I surprised myself. Perhaps on a personal note, I should ensure adequate Internet reception and connection at all times - being disconnected or having to reload pages continuously has proven highly frustrating. Thanks, for making International learning possible!

By Jiali S

Apr 26, 2017

I like this course a lot and have spent several days following all the lectures, for a feeling that the whole course is formulated not with a historical/overwhelmed view but aims to inspire a true interest in the ways of thinking. A discursive thought path and I've really enjoyed it. Thank you for your sharing knowledge and kind design. Besides, the materials for independent learning are good guide! At least, I know where to find trustworthy information. THANKS!

By Mariana S

Sep 10, 2020

This was my very first time doing philosophy, yet everything was clearly presented and well explained by the professors for each topic. This course has definitely motivated me to further explore philosophy and also made me question some of the usual daily life situations. I want to thank all the lecturers that have participated in the creation of this course and encourage other students, who are new to philosophy just as I once was, to take part in this course.

By Raghuram K

Mar 20, 2019

This was my first MOOC course that I completed successfully. It will inspire me to take more. I am an engineer and I joined this course to improve my clarity of thinking. At the very beginning the instructor Dave's definition of philosophy as the activity of working out the best way to think about things caught my interest and I learned a lot about common topics but in an intellectual way. To all the instructors and forum moderators of this course, thank you!

By Sajid I

Jul 24, 2020

An immensely important course to be taken, irrespective of one's core area of studies and expertise to be able to, as professor Dave Wards puts it, occasionally step back and ask questions about fundamentals of subject matter that one is engaged in to somehow not only actually justify actions arising out of the subject matter but to also fulfill intellectual craving that defines the true spirit in acquiring knowledge if it could be acquired at all.

By Rishabh

Oct 31, 2015

Very good course, Offers insights from various domains of Philosophy, which one doesn't go in usually. And ends up discovering that there are in fact various ways to look at this subject which is an essential tool for living and constant improving our quality of life.

The University of Edinburgh has structured this course well, and the faculties, bright and deep in their domains makes you understand the contents more easily then they are.

Thank you.

By Aleksandra B

Mar 26, 2020

I have learnt about a number of fundamental topics in philosophy through lectures and materials. I have also been able to test my knowledge via practice questions and quizzes. Finally, I have conducted my own research and engaged in philosophical analysis for the final essay assignment, as well as evaluated my peers' submissions. Of particular interest and impact to me were the topics of Morality, Law, Knowledge and Testimony. Thanks, @Edinburgh.

By Abhishek s

A very insightful course to initiate the understanding about Philosophy.

Philosophy is related to each and every situation and decison we make.

And this is the course which tries to put some seeds in the brain to think broader and helps to create a better process of looking at thing/situations

All the instructer have a very deep understanding about the subject and helped alot in making and initial study through their effective teaching styles.

By Olivia H

Aug 17, 2020

Finally, a free online course WORTH TAKING! I found this course pretty difficult, but in a really satisfying way- I felt like I was genuinely learning something new and hard in every lecture, yet it was all so well explained. Great lecturers, and great tests that you really have to focus on in order to pass. It's refreshing to do an online course that isn't 'stupidly simple'. This is hard but you'll enjoy it a lot :) Recommend to everyone!

By Madeleine W

May 21, 2017

Couldn't have asked for a better introduction to Philosophy. The handouts and videos matched very well and gave option for different styles of learning. The text book (Philosophy for everyone) I bought on Amazon was also very interesting for extra reading and I can refer to that when learning more about Philosophy. Perfect amount of options for how much detail I wanted to learn and plenty of resources for me to check out in my spare time.

By Abner O S S

Nov 09, 2018

This course is an introduction to the topics that philosophers are talking about. It addresses, for instance, questions about the nature of knowledge, morality, philosophy of science, etc. It emphasizes on Scottish philosopher David Hume, but it does not omit other philosophical traditions on the topic they aboard. I strongly recommend it for those who are interested in developing philosophical curiosity about some specific topics.

By Azrul Z

Dec 12, 2017

This course is a great start to induce thinking about things around us. It is very mind provoking course that opens wide room of discussion concerning something we might simply take for granted in life. It also challenges the very essence of dogmatic belief or even scientific 'fact' that seems at first glance satisfies our senses but not an inquisitive mind. A highly recommended and intellectually enjoyable course.

By Mary L

Oct 18, 2016

I found this course very interesting, informative, and engaging. The instructors and lectures are interesting, and the topics covered are fascinating. The quizzes cover the most important concepts of the course without being unnecessarily difficult. I have recommended this course more than once already, and would do so again. If I found that another course were created to follow this one, I would definitely take it.

By Tonim T K

Aug 18, 2020

I always have tried to observe the world in a scientific way but this time I have removed my science goggles and started to learn about how to observe the world and our lives through Philosophy. And found that science and Philosophy is vastly related to each other. The Amazing thing about Philosophy is that even you can create reasoning and theories just sitting and thinking on your armchair. Well decorated course.

By anant t

Jul 06, 2020

It was truly amazing. Thank you so much to the professors, to the university of Edienburgh .

I really loved the way they explained everything. After taking this course my view to look things changed a lot. my thought are different now. I am sad also that this course ended but truly it was amazing .

Thank you so much to Cousera team for providing such a great platform to everyone. ITs changing peoples life.

By Ricardo L d A d R

Aug 18, 2020

It is an excellent course for anyone interested in knowing more about philosophy and philosophical questions. The lectures are short and very informative! I would highly recommend this course.

After the first week, there are two different threads, I chose Epistemology and Science of Mind, and they were awesome. The team of professors and researchers did a fantastic job on the lectures and the quizzes.

By Javier M

Jun 11, 2017

This course gets you on the right track to understanding philosophy. It explores several interesting topics and provides reading material for anyone who wants to take a deeper dive into these subjects. I like the course's flexibility, progression and guidance. The videos provide clear information on introductory ideas, arguments and their explanations in particular areas of the philosophical realm.

By Per S

Jun 26, 2020

It was hard to understand at first, it can get on your nerves. Lot's of reading here and there but if you do read, you will understand the instructors point. One of the best philosophy MOOCS out there. I've learned a lot of philosophy given that I have been introduced to philosophy for a couple of times. Materials are worth revisiting if you are the type who is curious and wants to re-learn again.

By Shifeng X

Feb 15, 2018

It touched lots of the topics in what is called philosophy; however it didn't go any further on any of the topics...i expected to learn some of basic terms of fundamental concepts of this subject, this cause certainly doesn't go that further. With all this having said, this is still a very good cause in terms of how it was prepared and presented, I like most of the lecture and lecturers very much.

By Ma E D L

Nov 01, 2017

Es un curso muy interesante para aquellos que no hemos tenido acercamientos previos a la filosofía, plantea temas de gran interés y los profesores describen los problemas y formas de abordarlos sin que necesariamente sea seguir a un autor en particular, en cambio dan un panorama general de abordaje aunque, claro usan propuestas de autores para ejemplificar las formas de pensamiento.