Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT
Sep 1, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

CC
Oct 7, 2015

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

1376 - 1400 of 1,597 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By Anas F I

Jun 30, 2020

this is a good start for anyone interested in philosophy, but it is unfortunately too short and does not cover so much. otherwise, great course!

By Pati10

Sep 24, 2018

Very good course - I think there could be more surnames, more facts, dates and titles, but it was okay. Thank you and I am waiting for more.

By Zack E

Mar 20, 2018

Covered a variety of important philosophical topics with clear steps and consistent information directly reflected in quizzes and templates.

By Abdiaziiz I A

Sep 24, 2020

First I thanking for all the teachers those prepared for course of philosophy and those who try to teach for courses so thanks all of you

By Chun K C

Aug 14, 2015

Raise some philosophical questions for brain storming. However, not much direction of exploring further where philosophy should go.

By Adam b K F

Jul 6, 2020

Really good course for someone like me who is just getting into philosophy. Really gives a lot of perspectives into consideration!

By Ramez T

Nov 16, 2018

Excellent introductory course that covers a lot of the basics. Would have liked to learn a bit more about different philosophers.

By Sabrina H

Jan 2, 2016

I really like this course so far. The Instructors do a great job in explaining the material. I look forward to learning more..

By Patricio C

Aug 30, 2020

Excellent course, the only thing that cause me troubles its the subtitules option for spanish, many times doesnt work right

By Jorge L S G

Nov 2, 2015

Very well organized course. If you are looking for a way to get into philosophy this is definetly one of the best options.

By Remington C

Oct 16, 2015

Lots of interesting ideas, most presented very well. Hit-and-miss for some of the topics, but usually spot on. Recommended

By Luca M

Mar 23, 2020

Maybe the tests were a bit too focused on the examples used during the videos, however, it was really nice.

Thanks a lot!

By Atheek A

Apr 1, 2020

It would have been easier if the video lessons had more important notes on the sides such as definitions, tables, etc

By Eisar H

Mar 13, 2016

Nice introduction to the subject and I'm just taking one point off for the organisation of the material presented.

By Pramanik

Aug 25, 2015

It's a great course to start the process of understanding the context on which philosophy as a subject deals with.

By kira m

Nov 15, 2020

I wish I had finished this properly 7 years ago when there wasnt a peer review element but the videos were great!

By Sarah C

Nov 6, 2019

Very informative and interesting course. It has ignited a passion for Philosophy that will lead to further study.

By Rodrigo v s a

great, each lecture have a different profesor, short videos with explication and hard questions in the quizzes

By mert ö

Jan 25, 2018

This course was very good for understanding intro of philosophy. If ıt had more information ıt will be better

By Aaron P

Jul 29, 2017

I loved this. Very interesting and learned a lot. Loved the teaching. Wish I could have moreover like this

By Amir H

Mar 26, 2020

good amount of topics but a bit too short on each one of them, wouldve liked more full wave on each topic

By Alexander A

Aug 22, 2018

very detailed and great for someone interested in the subject but very long too hard to remember it all.

By Alessandra C

Dec 24, 2017

Hay algunos vídeos que no tienen subtitulo en español, por lo demás, muy interesante los temas elegidos.

By América A L

Sep 30, 2015

no tengo complicaciones para reproduccir los videos, solo me gusta trabajo averiguar lo del certificado

By David M

Nov 5, 2016

Muy útil, estoy aprendiendo demasiado aunque me gustaría que las preguntas fueran también en español.