Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD
Dec 25, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

301 - 325 of 972 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Yi J F

Feb 23, 2020

An amazing opportunity to tap into the resources of MoMA with a structured and easy to follow lesson plan, artist interviews, and curated reading lists

By magdalena

Mar 20, 2016

Me encanta la persona que da el curso, explica muy bien y tiene una manera de hacer que pongas mucha atención, y al mismo tiempo explica sencillamente.

By Caroline W

Mar 4, 2016

This is a very fabolous and intelligent course about photography among the years.

The Plus is the inside view of the artists! Thx a lot MOMA- i am Fan!

By Paul G

May 2, 2018

Thanks to this course I now have a greater focus to appreciate a photograph, I think this is very important to determine the visual quality of a photo

By Céline H

May 21, 2016

Fascinating course! I'm discovering and learning so much! I also could spend hours looking at the selected pictures of the course... Thank you! Céline

By Nicholas K

Feb 23, 2016

You will never see any photo the same ever again. Fantastic course. Supplemental readings are wonderful. So grateful to the folks at MoMA for this.

By Joselito S K

Jul 8, 2020

The course was very informative and educational. It help me analyse and interpret photographs and find meaning to it. Thank you MoMA and Ms. Sarah.

By Berfin K

Jun 5, 2020

Even though, I have been taking photos for a long time, this course increased my literacy and help me understand photography from a different angle.

By Sara-Jane C

May 7, 2020

This is a fascinating course, providing excellent course material, allowing you to explore further the world of vernacular and fine art photography.

By Luisa G

Jan 7, 2020

It helps me to understand the importance of knowing the photography background, so now I can see new perspectives when I am going to take a picture.

By Josip H G O

Dec 4, 2017

Great introductory course. It covers most of the aspects of photography and gives suggestions to those who want to learn more. Thank you very much!

By Sushovon M

Sep 20, 2020

It's really a knowledgeable course for photography. It's necessary to know about photographic knowledge when you are an photographer or an artist.

By María C C C

Jul 8, 2020

very indepth! really enjoyed the way the course' expositions of different photographer along with several recorded interviews or analytical texts.

By Rodrigo N d N

Aug 9, 2017

This course is very good it has improved my way of analyzing and understanding about the concept that every photographer had when doing his work

By Miguel A T O

Jul 24, 2017

It`s great, I enjoyed taking this course, I never thought that I could do this! I learned a lots of things and I “meet” some interesting artists.

By Ximena R M

May 29, 2017

I am very happy to have taken the course, the contents, the exams and everything is very well, I am proud of the result and I highly recommend it

By Stefano A

Very interesting course, great material and courseware.

Interesting and fascinating topics are presented during the 6 weeks course. To recommend.

By anna l j

Jan 10, 2018

Inspiring, and life changing!

Beautifully curated

and a truly balanced celebration of voices

to include female pioneers and african-american voice

By Federico M

May 4, 2017

A comprehensive vision of the evolution of photography as a medium, exploring all its different languages, meanings and evolutions through time.

By Juan P

Jul 6, 2020

fue un exente viaje de aprendizaje y de reflixion frente a el arte fotográfico gracias por abrir esta ventana para poder ver un poco mas lejos

By vaishnavi p

Apr 22, 2020

It is an extremely educative and rich on the content course. Highly recommended for anyone looking to get a broader perspective on photography.

By Rodrigo N

May 20, 2016

I've just have learned a lot with this first week less. Reading history and getting to know important photographers, fact, moments and curiosit

By Alexey B

Jul 1, 2020

Awesome course, great learning materials and presentations! Extremely useful for many photograpers and people just interested in photography.

By Chinoy M

Feb 23, 2020

An exemplary course that opens ones eyes to a better understanding and appreciation for photographs and their artistic and scientific history.

By Richard D

Aug 21, 2016

Excellent course, thoroughly recommended if you're interested in understanding the history of photography as an expressive and artistic medium