Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

926 - 950 of 1,049 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Giorgio B

Oct 4, 2019

I had the opportunity through this course to learn and understand a lot about photography and its evolution along the years, since its invention. I will watch photos from now on with a much better understanding and interest.

By Andrew

Apr 18, 2020

This course is well organised, well presented and valuable. It shares a wide range of photographic content and challenges students to think in new ways. At the same time, it is enjoyable to complete. Highly recommended.

By Cathy H

Feb 2, 2019

This course provide a lot of article.But for the people which is weak in English (like me),the reading part is a little bit hard to understand.However,I still learn a lot through the video and I enjoy it very much.

By Rita D

May 16, 2020

Il corso è stato organizzato con grande professionalità e ha fornito una vasta gamma di informazioni che mi hanno incuriosita ed arricchita. Sono contenta di aver partecipato e di averlo portaro a termini.

By Lucía

Mar 6, 2018

Not the usual course about photography. It's another very interesting point of view where you can meet new and not so new projects and photographers and how to connect them and study them from a common topic.

By Joachim S

Oct 21, 2021

It was a difficult course for me. Coming from a technical side to photography, the artistic learning has always been a challenge for me. Indulging in what has come before was necessary yet daunting at times.

By Neil S

Mar 6, 2018

Course good but clarity needed on the final assessment as more detail provided at point of submission than on previous pages - as one would not tend to go to submit until work completed this is problematic.

By Douaa H

Apr 8, 2021

I recommend this course to everyone who loves photography or wants to take a career in photography because the course is very informative, well put out and, there is a lot of sources you can benefit from.

By Miguel B

Jun 2, 2016

The course is a good introduction on how to look at images from a different perspective. Good materials, highly enjoyable. The reading lists are pretty good, with interesting additional material.

By Juan P M

Mar 13, 2016

Great videos and interviews with amazing photographers. They leverage very well MoMA's collection. I think the course design and lectures are not the best way to grasp the key concepts ann ideas.

By Ranmali K

Jan 11, 2017

I enjoyed this course a lot! I learnt about many artists I had not come across before. It was interesting to see photography used in different and novel ways by a variety of artists.

By Carmen

Mar 28, 2016

Very accessible and informative. I wish there was more information on the issues and trends in photography and less on who said what. The first three modules are very interesting

By George A

Mar 3, 2016

An interesting outtake to examine the world as other photographers and artist see the pictures presented, changing the way we see the world, our work and the work of others

By William R H

Sep 13, 2019

I found this course to be very informative. The concepts of the course were well taught and I would recommend someone who is just learning about photography to take it.

By Rafal B

Apr 29, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. A great number of additional materials for long read after finishing. ANd great broad selection of interesting photos and photographers.

By Xiongyingzi C

Sep 9, 2020

Sufficient material, interesting perspective, in-depth study.

But there is a bit too much required reading and not enough videos or other more interactive learning.

By Alex W

Mar 29, 2016

Really enjoyed the diversity and range of photography shown, definitely a good introduction to the various movements that make up the medium and how they interact.

By Ximena L s

Sep 2, 2020

I am immensely grateful for the course, I have enjoyed all the information and knowing more about the museum's collection and strengthening my gaze. Thanks Moma.

By Mattia G

Apr 3, 2016

Perfect, really what I was looking for. Entering the photography world with a critic Eye and knowledge of what you are looking when you are looking a picture.

By MARILINA B

Nov 24, 2020

Hola! El curso estuvo bien pero cuando puse restablecer mis fechas, perdí mis notas de las 3 semanas anteriores y nadie me respondió mis consultas, una pena

By María R

Apr 12, 2016

Me encantó!

Podrían añadir trabajos prácticos o algun streaming con el MOMA para hacer preguntas. Pero, vamos! me ha encantado, lo recomiendo al 100%!

By Marisa H

Apr 6, 2016

A really interesting course with great reading materials and videos designed specifically for its thematic weekly topics. I only wish it were longer!

By Stela I T C

Mar 7, 2016

me parece un buen curso ya que está al alcance de muchas personas que desean introducirse o bien retomar ideas en torno al mundo de la fotografía.

By Fernando J G L

Apr 5, 2018

Es un buen abre bocas para investigar la incidencia de la fotografía en el medio de las comunicaciones y el conocimiento.

Gracias a los expositores.