Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD
Dec 25, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

951 - 972 of 972 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Troy M

Jun 8, 2020

An interesting topic and materials covered but sadly an unresolved technical glitch prevented the completion of the final task and thus lower rating for a good course.

By Konstantinos X

Mar 11, 2020

The course is interesting but beware ! It has peer reviewed assignments which means you will never get your grade !

By michael m

Dec 14, 2016

i enjoyed the interviews -- hearing and seeing many different artists using the same medium in very different ways

By bao l

May 14, 2020

The course is helpful to learn the stories behind photographs, but kind of monotonous.

By César C

Feb 27, 2016

falta opciones en español, los textos por ejemplo o los videos subtitulados.

By Amaya T

Oct 16, 2020

I liked the course but was not a fan of the final assignment

By Sheila m

Aug 19, 2020

TODO ES EN INGLES, Y NO TENGO CONOCIMIENTO DEL INGLES

By Priscila C d O

Sep 2, 2016

Nice, but I expected more (or something else).

By Peter P

Jul 3, 2020

great course, thoroughly enjoyed it

By Emil

Nov 3, 2020

Peculiar course.

By Cathy E

Jul 22, 2020

I felt like this course was kind of disjointed. As an educator with some experience in museum education, I wonder whether this was created by the curatorial department with minimal or no guidance from education. Some of the required readings were lengthy and bombastic. It's almost as if course creators said, let's see what we have to work with, and try to find some relationships between the hodgepodge. I understand the importance of sometimes having to use readings from the specific time period of an artwork to put it in context, but again, I feel like there could have been better exemplars of both photographs and readings. The module where photographs of the moon were the "theme" just seemed like it didn't belong. I did acquire new knowledge through this course, but the format was just not for me.

Apr 2, 2016

Vastly concerned with the esoteric minutia, ideas, and meanings assigned by others regarding photographs which most often aren't even closely aligned with the original artist's intentions.

A brief few mentions of how photography has changed over time with advances in technology and development of new techniques was mildly interesting, otherwise this course was predominantly meaningless. This course will most likely be of no benefit to people not viewing or creating fine art photography.

By Fricc S

Feb 6, 2017

abstract and uninformative stories about some photographersbut not about the profession of the photographer or the technical side of the work

Thank you for the opportunity to get acquainted with the course

By Francesca S

Aug 21, 2017

I hoped that it was more professional, It was interesting but non technical.

By Gustavo M

Feb 1, 2019

Boring

By Mandy R

May 25, 2017

This course sounded so interesting. It was however not well organized and had too great a time commitment attached to it. The readings were too long. I ended up giving up.

By Yang G

Feb 15, 2016

repetitive content with other MOMA courses (modern art&idea)?? duh, not gonna pay $50 for this. :(

By Martina G

Apr 29, 2020

il certificato a fine corso è risultato a pagamento al contrario di quanto annunciato all'inizio.

By Maria F

Oct 22, 2020

I need to pay for the course certificate and I can't get it.

By Ankita D

I want to uennroll from this.course .... please help

By August E K

Nonsense, just wasted time...