Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

526 - 550 of 1,005 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Denis M

Aug 17, 2020

I really enjoyed the class and the solid list of reading/viewing material.

By Paulo J d O M

Great times learning. A beautifull experience. Thank you MOMA and Coursera

By Iván A A H

Apr 2, 2016

Great course, rich in content and great interviews! Really worth trying ;)

By 江爾歡

Nov 9, 2020

Well-paced, not too much pressure.

Very informative, also truly inspiring.

By Rocío A N

May 13, 2020

Great class to further your understanding photography as art and process.

By Bianca M

Dec 23, 2019

Great way of getting in touch with photography and its meanings and ways.

By Ponhneath N

Nov 14, 2018

Hands down, best course I have taken on coursera so far. Thank you, MoMa!

By Paul H

Jul 7, 2017

Excellent course, which encouraged me to travel to the USA to visit MoMA!

By Joselyn M A

May 25, 2017

Beautiful course, good teachers and interesting theme. Highly recommended

By Magda M

Feb 28, 2016

Deep analysis, great selection of material, questions that make you think

By GAGANDEEP K

Jun 3, 2019

Very insightful. And easy to learn and follow. I am enjoying the course.

By Nguyen H M

Mar 21, 2018

Thank you so much, I have learnt a lot about how to analyze photographs.

By mark f c

Mar 20, 2017

Really enlightening have learn so much thanks for making this available.

By Steve B

Jun 4, 2018

Probably one of the best courses I have started - and I will finish it.

By Alan M

Aug 13, 2016

Ótimo curso e gostaria de saber quando vou receber o diploma. Obrigado!

By Ana C P

Mar 12, 2016

This course is fascinating! I'm pleased to have the chance to study it.

By Ashlynn R

Feb 17, 2021

Loved this course, very helpful for growing photographers and artists.

By Daniel G F

Jun 7, 2020

It's a ride through photography as a concept, it's only statring now !

By valigiri s

Its really a great and informative course ,i learnt a lot through this

By Rodrigo P

Aug 18, 2019

Excelente curso. Gracias por la posibilidad de hacer un curso del MoMA

By Juan P P M

Apr 4, 2019

such a great course, I learn a lot with all the photos that are shown.

By Andrea G A T

Mar 20, 2016

Great course, easy to understand and great readings about photography.

By STEFANO S

Jun 9, 2020

It has been an opening on photography as an art. More than satisfied.

By Fernando Y

Feb 21, 2020

Excellent materials and instruction. Very stimulating and pragmatic.