Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD
Dec 25, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

601 - 625 of 1,014 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Ruben A

Aug 27, 2020

A nice course. Pleny of material available. Thanks a lot!

By Angel P P

Oct 25, 2019

An amazing chance to understand photography beyond image.

By Micky V C

Aug 1, 2017

excellent ,i loved this course , i am learned too much !!

By Rafael A

Jun 28, 2016

Excelent! Realy changed the way I understand photography.

By Adam B

Dec 12, 2020

Loved every moment of it. Should be a subject in school!

By Matteo D R

Aug 11, 2020

A great opportunity to learn and to rethink photography.

By Robyn S

Jul 12, 2020

Loved it, lots of brilliant work and ideas in each week.

By Jelena O

May 8, 2020

Very thorough and informative course! Love the material!

By Kathleen R

Mar 18, 2019

Well designed and fascinating course. Highly recommend.

By David R S C

Apr 9, 2016

Great introduction to photography. I enjoyed it so much.

By DAVID F A

Jan 13, 2020

No deja uno de aprender, desde el inicio hasta el final

By Rosa L

Oct 18, 2017

I really love taking this course. It was inspiring¡¡¡¡¡

By Ignacio R G

Apr 4, 2016

Gives you a different way of seeing in your day to day.

By Jose G

Sep 21, 2020

Excelent course!! Changed my whole view of photography

By Deborah A D

Jan 20, 2021

Really enjoyed this course! Thank you MoMA and Sarah.

By ahmed e

Feb 8, 2020

the best course for me it is factory of photographers

By Herman d P

Oct 16, 2017

Great course to widen your horizon about photography.

By Tony W

Thank you! A very interesting and worthwhile course!

By Montse P D

Apr 24, 2020

Great course congratulatios!!! . I`ll recommed this.

By Arnaud T

Aug 31, 2017

Great course, with a lot of material and references.

By Sara M R

Mar 3, 2016

Bellissimo, diverso, nuovo e approfondito.

Grazie :)

By Jenn B

This course was fabulous. I am sorry to see it end

By Santiago d l T

Jun 18, 2018

Excelente curso con un contenido muy enriquecedor.

By Fabrizio D

Mar 9, 2016

Course on photography really well done and useful.

By Ricardo L R

Mar 6, 2016

excellent! as a photographers we should know this!