Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE
Jun 2, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

951 - 975 of 1,049 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Connor C

Sep 5, 2017

A great course, could have been more proactive. I would have liked the requirement for us to go out and do an outside project or research subject.

By Asmita S

Jan 24, 2019

This is an extremely engaging and well planned course. After completing the course of 6 weeks, you will never look at photographs the same way.

By Liz N

Jul 26, 2020

I really liked. Would have been nice to see projects by latinamerican artists but other than that I really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

By Luana G

May 23, 2020

This course helped me to gain a new insight in the world of photography and i discovered interesting topics to be further investigated.

By Kemi B

A comprehensive beginners course to the appreciation photographs and journey of photography. Insightful, fun, and well structured.

By Emilio J M V

Jul 19, 2017

unicamente te enseña la vision de los operadores y marco historico me ubiese gustado que explique mas las tecnicas fotograficas

By Man Y K

Jun 28, 2017

Content and structure of course is so good.

Just the web page design not very user friendly and some information was missing.

By wardah

May 22, 2020

i am a passionate photographer but i never knew about the stuff i learned from the course. it was a really helpful one too.

By Camila S D

Loved It. I wish there was a way of making us dig more into the photographers that caught our eye and analyzing their work.

By Audrey B

Sep 22, 2016

A lot of study of artist's work, which makes you study the history of photography as well. The weekly thematics are good.

By Mohammad A E N M

Jun 15, 2020

I think such courses needs more assignments. Not only peer graded ones but also solo or teamwork projects. Thanks anyway

By Ellie L

Jun 11, 2020

The reading materials are super helpful, there's a lot though, a little bit too much for one person to finish in a week.

By Gabriel R C

Sep 20, 2016

Buen curso, sobre todo los recursos bibliográficos gratuitos.

Nice course, the best part was the free library resources.

By Nivethitha B A

Mar 5, 2019

It's is indeed a very interesting and useful subject as it let us become more of a thinker and feeler at the same time.

By Patrycja K

Very nice course. I would add more videos, interviews and more interactive stuff but everything reasumed was worth it.

By Rohan C

Could combine more contemporary work that challenges our understanding of photography. Really enjoyed the last week.

By Jeffrey L

Mar 27, 2016

Excellent course. It gives me an insight history and views from how images have evolved from flim to digital eras.

By Laura D

May 2, 2018

The course was really good, you really learned a lot. however is a little bit difficult if you don't know english

By MUTHAMIZH S

Mar 28, 2018

A good course to learn about how photography evolved and how it has been used in various ways by various people.

By Federico

Mar 13, 2016

It is not the best of ... but actually I was available to have some positive sentence about photography. Amazing

By Dana C

Mar 22, 2018

I can now look deeper into photographs that I love and understand them better because of this wonderful course.

By adrianne

Mar 21, 2016

Really enjoyed the content of this course. Exposes you to a variety of photographers and their personal styles.

By james w

Sep 27, 2020

I thought is was most interesting with a wide variety a subjects and the interviews were very well conducted.

By David O

Jun 6, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I would like more personal interaction between the organizers and the students.

By Morten W

Sep 20, 2016

A really amazing course full of excellent resources. Perfect for the inquisitive photographer.