Back to Introductory Human Physiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introductory Human Physiology by Duke University

LL

Jun 02, 2016

I'm a high school student interested in human physiology.\n\nThis course is AMAZING! Though sometimes I felt overwhelmed and couldn't remember everything, I think it was worth every effort and energy.

VB

Sep 12, 2020

Very informative, straight forward, and was practically free too! The teachers were very easy to understand, had a real passion for their subject, and I really learned a lot. Would totally recommend!

26 - 50 of 739 Reviews for Introductory Human Physiology

By Vinayak B

Sep 12, 2020

By Calista L

Oct 08, 2020

Great things first: It’s a great course, with quite an amount of information each video each module. For each week’s two to three video hours, I spent 5 to 6 hours researching through googling or textbook reading, and an intense note-taking all along. I highly recommend anyone who wants a ‘warm-up’ in college physiology to do this course. This is perhaps a first college level physiology, but it’s no way ‘introductory’. For a student with mostly humanities background like me, it’s going to be a challenging course. But it is really worth doing.

The course’s texts (ebook), video-transcripts, lectures, in-video questions, practice quizzes and graded quizzes are all very helpful.

It would be more helpful if explanation can be provided for some quizzes’ questions.

In some lectures, I found the explanation a bit confusing. V/Q mismatch is an important topic in respiratory system. Week 6. At 5:07 of a video titled “CO2 Transport and V/Q Mismatch”, after a literal explanation of what ‘Q’ and ‘V’ each stands for, I expect a concise explanation of what V/Q Mismatch IS, but what I get is: “The idea is that even though we've been talking about the lung as if it is the same in all regions, actually it is not. This is due mostly to just gravity.” Dr. Cabrey is explaining why the bottom of the lung is much more distensible (less compliant) than the top part of the lung. Of course this is what the figure shown on the slide is about. But clearly the aim is to illustrate the concept of V/Q Mismatch via the ventilation & perfusion situation of the lung. But what is V/Q Mismatch in the first place? The professor is no doubt very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the subject material (which I really appreciate), but I would appreciate a teaching approach which is more straightforward.

Again, thanks to the Teams at Duke and Coursera who make this course available.

By Harm t M

May 09, 2020

Wow, this is the most intense MOOC I have taken so far, and that is a good thing: in-depth, clear, well-explained and challenging at times. I would recommend this to everyone who is interested in learning how their body works.

By Nedyu Y

Jun 06, 2019

The course is excellent! Content and exams are very challenging, I personally had difficulties to complete them from the first try. It's worth repeating the material, further reading is also advisable.

By Wei L

Apr 01, 2016

Lectures are very concise. This course can help you grasp the most important core concepts and key woking mechanisms of human physiology. But I don't know why it do not have the immune system.

By Carmel F

Jan 20, 2016

I would not have passed my nursing class I had not found this course! It help to breakdown the overarching thought behind each system. I cant thank the professors and Coursera enough!

By Eraldo P P J

Nov 21, 2018

Great course with great teachers

By Denis Y

Mar 27, 2018

I took the course just out of curiosity, my field is software development. For me it was a very interesting course from system design point of view. It gives a lot of food to the brain and a wide range of analogies and patterns. Also I find it useful to know in more details how my body works, it raises awareness and makes me think that I need to care about my body more. It was also quite surprising for me that every new system was described with its own graphical notation, I find it difficult to adjust every time. Some moments were not clear, so I used google quite a lot. Some part remained unclear. E.g. when we look at cellular chemical exchange sometime it looks like that certain molecules are being accumulated by the cell, but there is no output shown for it. Overall I enjoyed the course and happy that I managed to finish it (it was the longest one for me on coursera). Thank you!

By 任熙达/XiDa R

Aug 18, 2015

The structure is a bit confusing, and the review is not quite as intensive as I would like.

Otherwise, it's awesome. The videos are good, the instructors speak at speeds just right, most of the slides are sparsely worded and well illustrated, the concepts are explained in depth... Awesome is the word.

By Anastasia D

Jan 29, 2016

Nice videos, well explained. The powerpoints are extremely useful and clear. However sometimes there is a confusion between what is said in the videos and in the lecture notes and the quiz questions. It may just be me however. Apart from that last thing, the rest is all good!

By Sarah A K

Jun 16, 2017

This is good course. It might say "Introductory" in the title, but don't be fooled, this is a thorough and pretty tough course !

By Yigal D

Jan 17, 2017

Quizzes do not always function correctly, but the content is great.

By Cia v W

May 13, 2020

Good content, interesting course.

Knowledgeable teachers, but the presentation was average. Mimi in particular speaks and writes to0 fast. This results in lots of tongue tripping and writing that does not correspond with what is said (thyronine vs thryonine; tropic vs trophic; etc) It is confusing and distracting. Nonetheless, I learned a lot. Thanks

By Hrishikesh G

Sep 05, 2015

I watch the videos after work when I get home and Jennifer Carbrey puts me to sleep. The presentation is such that it is very difficult to stay focused.

By Susan H

Jan 18, 2017

Very much a straight lecture course of rather difficult material.

By Rafael M d S

Feb 21, 2016

The course should give more details.

By j

Aug 12, 2017

A lot of WHAT, but very little WHY. Instead of going from the whole to the detail, the minutia of selective parts are laid out. Old-school schooling, not conducive for understanding principles. Not recommended.

By Suzanne M

Oct 07, 2020

I was told to come to this site to cancel my enrollment in the coursera course "Introductory Human Physiology". As usual, the directions I received were inaccurate. I must cancel because the course as presented is too far above my academic preparation in math and chemistry. This is NOT an introductory course. It is as challenging as the Vander text which I purchased to assist me. I also purchased the supposed $5 notes for the course and printed them out. Fooled again. They bear no resemblance to the course materials. By the way, I received a scholarship for the Certificate in this course based upon my performance in my two previous courses at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the University of Michigan. I appreciate your consideration but the course advertising does not fit its content. Suzanne Masson

By Гаврилова К С

May 16, 2020

I want to express my gratitude to professors Emma Jakoi and Jennifer Carbey!

And I highly recommend this course!

This is an amazing experience! You will open a new world full of modern knowledge and approaches to learning! The material of these course is adapted and easy to understand but also very professional and actual both students and people who have never learned physiology yet. Process of learning is really enjoyed and exciting!

Thanks to this course I'm as student biologist not afraid of subject of physiology that will wait me in next year! Also I found this a lot of very useful and illustrative information from the biochemistry, cytlogy abd histology.

This is an unforgettable and unique experience for everyone who wants to become a professional in sphere of physiology as well as biology and medicine

By Amir S

Jun 06, 2020

My name is Muhammad Amir Mustufa (Pakistan). I got a valuable Certificate on completion of the course. I would like to say that this course increased and enhanced my knowledge, I feel that my understanding, concept, mechanism of Human body systems improved.

I am very thankful to My very humble, loyal, committed, outstanding instructors Professor Dr. Emma Jakoi & Jennifer Carbrey, who explained the Physiological concept in a very precise, understanding manner. I would like to say that they are faithful, the real strength of the Duke education system.

I also would like to give thanks to the whole Coursera team, who developed this very interesting course in a very organized manner

Thanks

By dn2013

Jan 12, 2016

A wonderful course which enabled me to learn a lot about the human physiology. The professors have put in a lot of effort to squeeze in a complex subject into this course. To take this course a basic background in Cell Biology would be helpful. i did not have this, so I had to put in extra effort to understand. Moreover, the chemistry I had learned was several decades ago, so I had forgotten the basics. But still, I enjoyed the course tremendously. The mentors were of great help on the discussion forum.

Thank you very much Dr Jakoi and Dr Carbrey for making this course available. I look forward to taking more courses taught by you in future.

By Zarina Z

Jun 03, 2020

It was very interesting und full of information course. I could learn more about human body, about physiology. I could better understand which kind of systems work in our body, which pathology could be. The most excelent point which I discover for me in this course, it is how amazing is our body. Thank you very much for this course. It was great experience! I would advice to do this course for those people who are interested in understanding how our body works. There are a lot of information about Biochemistry too. So if you are interested in understanding of full processes in human body, so the course is totally great for that.

By Brooke N

Dec 08, 2017

Very useful course! I have a limited science background, with no post-secondary science education. It was much more in-depth and detailed than I had expected. The material was very challenging, but the teacher's explanations were clear and the graphics in the power-point slides helped me to understand concepts more clearly. The notes were also very useful. One drawback is that the presentation can be somewhat dry at times. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in gaining a fairly in-depth understanding of major systems of the body, all within an introductory course.

By Narain M

Nov 07, 2015

I have already completed 3 modules, and I just love this course. The program, the videos and the quizes are all very well designed, the exam questions although a bit of higher level compared to the theory exposed, makes you think in real physiology and that's really great. You can see that this course is planned and designed with the real objective of teaching you physiology, and you can see the effort that's been placed here by both teachers in order to make this happen. So congratulations to both of you and to the University of Duke. Great job in general terms.

By Benjamin S

The amount of information given in this course was excellent, as well as the general organization, though one or two videos were out of order here. Jakoi is obviously very knowledgeable, but what's more impressive is how clearly she conveys her knowledge. She didn't keep things simple either though, as some teachers slow down the presentation of material for students, the lessons continued to push me to work harder at understanding in-depth material at nearly a professional level. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and learned a lot.